Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Should my friend sue this man?

So this apparently happened (heard it through phone) and while it sounds dubious at best, he claims it really happened, and asked what he should do, so I'm asking for some suggestions now.

So he entered a donut shop, in the more shady side of LA, and upon entering, he began to look at the menu, and after about barely thirteen seconds in, a worker (apparently manager), said to "hurry the fuck up, and get out of his store." My friend asked what was his problem. After some arguing, the man responded by pulling out a kitchen knife, and said it was my friend's last chance to leave, and he promptly ran out.

He expressed his desire to take action, and I said I would get more feedback. Do you think it's worth taking action? He's not going to see him or his store again, but out of spite.

Why would you sue him? Report him to the police.

There's nothing your friend can do. No legal recourse, he just doesn't need to go there again.

Because its America, the land of everyone sues everyone for anything thats why hes asking if he should sue the "store owner"

Deleted
    did he enter the store a minute before the closing time?

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    So this apparently happened (heard it through phone) and while it sounds dubious at best, he claims it really happened, and asked what he should do, so I'm asking for some suggestions now.

So he entered a donut shop, in the more shady side of LA, and upon entering, he began to look at the menu, and after about barely thirteen seconds in, a worker (apparently manager), said to "hurry the fuck up, and get out of his store." My friend asked what was his problem. After some arguing, the man responded by pulling out a kitchen knife, and said it was my friend's last chance to leave, and he promptly ran out.

He expressed his desire to take action, and I said I would get more feedback. Do you think it's worth taking action? He's not going to see him or his store again, but out of spite.
    Nothing you can sue for. You can't prove he pulled a knife and even if you could, there is no law suit. Tell your friend to be happy he didn't get stabbed and move on.

He could have gotten the police to get him for brandishing a weapon at best. Sue him good luck with that waste of time. Since he didn't call the police nothing will happen. This story sounds absolutely far fetched and it would seem we are getting an inaccurate version of one side of the story to top it all off.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtiwater View Post
    There's nothing your friend can do. No legal recourse, he just doesn't need to go there again.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Nothing you can sue for. You can't prove he pulled a knife and even if you could, there is no law suit. Tell your friend to be happy he didn't get stabbed and move on.
    Threatening someone with a knife is potentially a violation of California Penal Code § 422

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    did he enter the store a minute before the closing time?
    this or

What do you mean by the shady side of LA ?! like somewhere where gang hang out ?!! if thats what u meant , then the store owner probably did this to avoid conflict.
    Last edited by DarkBlade6; 2013-03-12 at 02:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    This. Seeking monetary gain from that event would look SO greedy.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, just do these and all will be good

15+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Sue him for what? Causing mental anguish? Threatening him with a knife? Good luck with that.

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 10:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Yes, just do these and all will be good
    Same result cops won't do shit it will be the owners word versus your friend and sorry but nothing will happen cops will tell him to stay away from the shop. When a shop owner tells you to get out, it means get out.
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2013-03-12 at 02:46 AM.

I would report him to the police, if they decide there's enough evidence to press charges, then you take that route.

Honestly, there's not much your friend can do. I work security for a store and had a woman pull a knife on me when I approached her. Even with the police involved, the most I could do was press charges for aggravated assault with a weapon. If there was injury, maybe he could? I'm not sure on the legal processes in a situation like that.

Threatening someone with a knife is potentially a violation of California Penal Code § 422
    Ok so if you could prove it then he would get arrested, still no lawsuit.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    He was told to leave and didnt, not only does your friend have no law suit but could've been arrested for trespassing but got lucky only being threatened.

Quote Originally Posted by Vantheus View Post
    but could've been arrested for trespassing
    No he couldn't.

Assuming that the basic framework of the story is true, I'd bet a fair bit that your friend threatened him first.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    No he couldn't.
    Yes he could have, he entered a business, was told to leave, did not leave, that is trespassing at that point. In California any business at any time for any reason can request you leave and if you do not you are trespassing. Respond if you'd like but it's a waste, you are wrong on this period.

Its your friends word against the managers. Even if he is telling the whole truth theres nothing he can do. Tell him to get over it, never go there again and move on.