Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    War means more jobs. More jobs means less people on government assistance from loss of said job. There are People who make everything they use. If there is no use for any of the things the solders use, then there is no need to keep the lights on at the plants. Sure, we should stop fighting. However, the simple fact is War does mean more jobs. Sadly.
    jobs where?
    jobs in the military industrial complex? those guys have great big machines and are pretty clever, surely they can make something that doesn't rely on them feeding america's lust for war
    jobs actually in the military? well, it's a shame for all those boys and girls that they're out of a job, but they're not actually providing something that's in demand by anyone other than gubmint
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Widdler View Post
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...c314_blog.html

"Short version: Once tax increases were off the table, the White House staff came up with a sequestration plan that only had spending cuts and sold Harry Reid on the idea."

Yet, somehow it has morphed into the allll the republicans fault. Interesting. You do realize this is not a dictatorship, correct? There is more then one side for a reason. I fault both sides equally for this, yet it has devolved into "ITS ALL REPUBLICANS FAULT!" from obama and democrats, and vice versa from the other side.

Pathetic. Glad I voted for a real american in this election.

---------- Post added 2013-03-17 at 05:59 AM ----------

"No one disputes the fact that no one wanted sequestration, or that ultimately a bipartisan vote in Congress led to passage of the Budget Control Act. But the president categorically said that sequestration was “something that Congress has proposed.”"

Obama got four pinnochio's for that one!
    No one in this thread has blamed one side and not the other.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Widdler View Post
    Pathetic. Glad I voted for a real american in this election.[COLOR="red"]
    I hope you don't mean Romney? I have no love for Obama either but if you think Romney was a "real american" you're delusional.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    No offense but were you a desk jockey? Cuz it's pretty much grunt or go home in my book lol.
    What good are the grunts without the support structure?
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    No offense but were you a desk jockey? Cuz it's pretty much grunt or go home in my book lol.
    Infantry, I did not see many desks where I was. Being deployed is fucking boring, you are either on watch, patrolling or sleeping. May as well use all that spare time to study and benefit from it. Same as when you are back in the barracks off deployment, study instead of wasting money on beer and other crap every night.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    jobs where?
    jobs in the military industrial complex? those guys have great big machines and are pretty clever, surely they can make something that doesn't rely on them feeding america's lust for war
    jobs actually in the military? well, it's a shame for all those boys and girls that they're out of a job, but they're not actually providing something that's in demand by anyone other than gubmint
    Really? Jobs making the planes, tanks, vehicles, guns, ammunition, food, first aid kits, tents, and anything else used by the military. All of those require a different factory and different people to make. I doubt a few month long break would cause any military member to lose their job. We will always have a military. Its just all the stuff they use during wartime is not so in demand during none wartime's. That is a LOT of jobs and a LOT more money going to government assistance should they all the suddenly have no jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    What part about across the board cuts are hard to understand?
    To me it seems like they are going for low hanging fruit. They are cutting things which are pennies compared to the programs that are costing billions. I agree that military spending is overboard and something needs to be done. The only big ticket item I've heard about they might be cutting is flight hours. They have not cut ours yet but we are having to come up with plans in case they do.

Ha ha ha ha. grunts . I'd venture to say almost 50% of the guys and gals I work with used TA.

Really? Jobs making the planes, tanks, vehicles, guns, ammunition, food, first aid kits, tents, and anything else used by the military. All of those require a different factory and different people to make. I doubt a few month long break would cause any military member to lose their job. We will always have a military. Its just all the stuff they use during wartime is not so in demand during none wartime's. That is a LOT of jobs and a LOT more money going to government assistance should they all the suddenly have no jobs.
    You will never convince a hippie or leftie that the U.S. military is the largest employer of U.S. citizens indirectly.

From the military members, manufacturers, contractors so on and so forth.

It was worth a try god knows I have attempted it myself.

Deleted
    War means more jobs. More jobs means less people on government assistance from loss of said job. There are People who make everything they use. If there is no use for any of the things the solders use, then there is no need to keep the lights on at the plants. Sure, we should stop fighting. However, the simple fact is War does mean more jobs. Sadly.
    And who pays the soldiers ? That's right the same government that would give them assistance if they weren't soldiers anymore. And my guess is that it's cheaper to provide welfare to a person than to pay a soldier and put equipment on his back.

Sad to see service members being impacted this way. But when someone signs the dotted line, they belong to the military. Though many may disagree with the decision, the military can do whatever it wants. Money for education was an incentive to recruit young people into the military. The military wasn't created to primarily put people through college. Service members who put their lives on the line do deserve to be taken care of but people need to remember the main function of the military. Nonetheless, I hope the suspension will eventually be lifted.

it's kinda difficult to take someone talking about military spending seriously when they don't know what the military industrial complex is
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

True, but those jobs are far more expansive per person than say a street sweeper (really when I first in the U.S. streets were so clean than you could eat off the floor. This is the very first thing that made realize how rich America was, now even India's dirt roads are better than this shit (litterally theres shit on the street). Far more people would be employed if the money is spent hiring in civilian sectors, rather than the military.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    And who pays the soldiers ? That's right the same government that would give them assistance if they weren't soldiers anymore. And my guess is that it's cheaper to provide welfare to a person than to pay a soldier and put equipment on his back.
    Let me explain this to you. Solders will NEVER just be laid off. Its not them that would be needing the assistance. We will always have an active military. The ones that would be getting laid off would be Everyone, the thousands of people, who make everything the military uses during wartime. So we would still be paying the soldiers paycheck, but would be getting more people on assistance through the other countless jobs that would suddenly have no work. Should it be for to long. Or

---------- Post added 2013-03-17 at 02:25 AM ----------

it's kinda difficult to take someone talking about military spending seriously when they don't know what the military industrial complex is
    Indeed. As you have proven. You cant take a factory full of highly specialized machines meant to build highly specialized items and expect them to Suddenly be able to make something else without having to get said equipment to make it. An ammunition factory cant just bake little debby cakes. They have too many big, heavy machinery meant for the very specific task of making ammunition. They would have to remove All of that, and replace it with the proper machinery to make the cakes. It would cost a fortune. All the while they would be making none of it back.

---------- Post added 2013-03-17 at 02:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    True, but those jobs are far more expansive per person than say a street sweeper (really when I first in the U.S. streets were so clean than you could eat off the floor. This is the very first thing that made realize how rich America was, now even India's dirt roads are better than this shit (litterally theres shit on the street). Far more people would be employed if the money is spent hiring in civilian sectors, rather than the military.
    We are having across the board budget cuts. They would not be hiring more people in the civilian sector.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2013-03-17 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    You will never convince a hippie or leftie that the U.S. military is the largest employer of U.S. citizens indirectly.

From the military members, manufacturers, contractors so on and so forth.

It was worth a try god knows I have attempted it myself.
    But is not welfare? Their goods are not in demand during the peace time. Peace times has existed till one man started the wars using psuedoreason.

Indeed. As you have proven.
    y'know i'm pointing that out because that's exactly what you elaborated in the post afterwards like it was a separate thing, right?

seriously, what's the difference between government assistance and government employment producing something that nobody wants or needs?

y'know i'm pointing that out because that's exactly what you elaborated in the post afterwards like it was a separate thing, right?

seriously, what's the difference between government assistance and government employment producing something that nobody wants or needs?
    The government is the one that makes the orders to the factories. Often times the government is the largest client these factories will have. Orders stop coming in, the need for employees drop. To cut costs and stop losing money, they will lay off employees until the orders start coming back in. Why keep 15 people for a lighter work load that 10 could do? The answer is to just drop them and cut costs.

The government is the one that makes the orders to the factories. Often times the government is the largest client these factories will have. Orders stop coming in, the need for employees drop. To cut costs and stop losing money, they will lay off employees until the orders start coming back in. Why keep 15 people for a lighter work load that 10 could do? The answer is to just drop them and cut costs.
    you've adequately described supply and demand but you seem to have stopped short of making an actual point?

you've adequately described supply and demand but you seem to have stopped short of making an actual point?
    "sigh" what do you want? What more of an explanation do you need? NO demand = less supply needed = Less work for said work force = more people on government assistance. Get it? Does that make sense? Without war there Is very little to no demand for military supplies. Meaning less work for everyone. Meaning employers will lay people off and said people will start to collect government assistance until they can find a job. That is If they can find one with unemployment rates. If you can't understand beyond that, then there is no hope for you. Either that or you are quite a good troll.

The people that work in those factories actually pay taxes and back into the system.

Where once they are on welfare and foodstamps they just take from the system putting nothing back in.

"sigh" what do you want? What more of an explanation do you need? NO demand = less supply needed = Less work for said work force = more people on government assistance. Get it? Does that make sense? Without war there Is very little to no demand for military supplies. Meaning less work for everyone. Meaning employers will lay people off and said people will start to collect government assistance until they can find a job. That is If they can find one with unemployment rates. If you can't understand beyond that, then there is no hope for you. Either that or you are quite a good troll.
    see i'm having trouble picking apart the difference between "government assistance" and "government contracting for useless things". you've reached the conclusion that making war supplies is useful because they go to fighting these wars. if you follow the yellow brick road a little longer; the wars are useless, so the war supplies are also useless. therefore these jobs are ultimately just as unproductive as government assistance. there's no difference between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    The people that work in those factories actually pay taxes and back into the system.

Where once they are on welfare and foodstamps they just take from the system putting nothing back in.
    at a spitball i'd say their contracting is more expensive, taxation included in my 0 research estimate, than welfare+foodstamps.