Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    How about Slayer style BG's

    Anyone who came to WoW after playing FPS knows that the one thing missing is BG or RBG style Kills to win match. Could you imagine the insane battle fronts of players teaming up to slaughter each other over and over(or until 50 kills). I mean really that is what most BG's are with a few people actually trying to accomplish winning parameters. Hopefully this gets some response because I have talked to allot of people in game who thinks this would be a great idea.

  2. #2
    First of all, Wow isn't an FPS.

    Second of all, there is a free-for-all BG named Temple of Kotmogu and it's generally hated by the playerbase.

    Lastly, in a free for all style BG w/ no objectives the better geared team will always win. This is a gear based game with skill coming in second.

  3. #3
    Not really. WoW's PvP model does not support a "Deathmatch" style; Temple is probably the closest we'll come to having one. Put it like this:

    TDM games work when both sides are equal, WoW's design isn't based on gear or composition equality.
    TDM doesn't really work when you have healers. I'll admit my FPS experience is based around Halo (So I've no idea which other FPS have dedicated healers/tanks), and while Halo has token healers (Regeneration Field) and that's about it.
    TDM relies on equal output and opportunity from classes, to the point where Choice affects output (What equipment you use in order to have different effects).

    Now, if everyone who entered this map was a damage dealer, sure. I could play it, but as for WoW currently? Not a chance. If everyone was a Fire/Frost Mage, Arms Warrior or another class that can do well in a 1v1 situation consistently (As in, withou having to blow every CD in order to win) then sure. But since not every class performs the same, because homogenisation is bad (to a point), TDMs are a terrible idea.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

  4. #4
    Why when someone says "First of all" do I feel like I'm being scolded. Second of all is like punishment. Boy you sure did set me straight... Anyway Isn't that what happens in Arena and that is still very popular. Of course better gear wins but it does in CTF also. Further more if you have a pre-made group it will be a mismatch no matter what game you play. BG's are basically luck of the draw on which teams get a few decent players. Yes RBG's have team work and skill involved and so would a death match with skilled players.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    First of all, Wow isn't an FPS.

    Second of all, there is a free-for-all BG named Temple of Kotmogu and it's generally hated by the playerbase.

    Lastly, in a free for all style BG w/ no objectives the better geared team will always win. This is a gear based game with skill coming in second.
    Getting gladiator in dreadful-gear speaks heavily against that statement. But i guess if you say something like that there is no
    point in arguing it with you anyways

  6. #6
    Thank you for not answering as a condescending bleep. I was hoping for more intelligible replies then being put in my place for posing an idea.

  7. #7
    We kinda got one already. Alterac valley.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    First of all, Wow isn't an FPS.

    Second of all, there is a free-for-all BG named Temple of Kotmogu and it's generally hated by the playerbase.

    Lastly, in a free for all style BG w/ no objectives the better geared team will always win. This is a gear based game with skill coming in second.
    How would you know if Temple of Kotmogu is "generally hated by the playerbase"? Have you talked to everyone that plays this game? If you did you forgot to talk to me because that is one of my favorite Bg's at the moment.

    Also, This game is only gear based for people who have little to no skill and need an advantage to do well. The people with skill don't need to have better gear or play a Fotm class.

    To the Op, I would like to see a straight up free for all Bg that is based off kills. Would be something a little different and fun.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Getting gladiator in dreadful-gear speaks heavily against that statement. But i guess if you say something like that there is no
    point in arguing it with you anyways
    Sorry, but arena isn't a solo activity. Just because someone is in dreadful doesn't mean their teammates are undergeared. Furthermore, there are carries and MMR exploiting going on all the time.

    And if the person did truly get legit gladiator without MMR exploiting while wearing crappy gear, they are most certainly the exception not the rule. Doesn't change the fact that this game is highly gear based.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    First of all, Wow isn't an FPS.

    Second of all, there is a free-for-all BG named Temple of Kotmogu and it's generally hated by the playerbase.

    Lastly, in a free for all style BG w/ no objectives the better geared team will always win. This is a gear based game with skill coming in second.
    Because he said that WoW is an FPS, right?

    Based on your logic, Blizzard should just scrap the Dota style BG, because WoW is not a MOBA.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Sorry, but arena isn't a solo activity. Just because someone is in dreadful doesn't mean their teammates are undergeared. Furthermore, there are carries and MMR exploiting going on all the time.

    And if the person did truly get legit gladiator without MMR exploiting while wearing crappy gear, they are most certainly the exception not the rule. Doesn't change the fact that this game is highly gear based.
    So aren't you somewhat eating your words?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Sorry, but arena isn't a solo activity. Just because someone is in dreadful doesn't mean their teammates are undergeared. Furthermore, there are carries and MMR exploiting going on all the time.

    And if the person did truly get legit gladiator without MMR exploiting while wearing crappy gear, they are most certainly the exception not the rule. Doesn't change the fact that this game is highly gear based.
    Not the same thing as "all about gear". Thats my point. Nothing else

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Eisenstein View Post
    So aren't you somewhat eating your words?
    Not eating my words at all. I said it's likely someone in dreadful did get gladiator. Thanks to MMR exploiting and carries. People abused MMR at the start of the season (dreadful) and then never played another game. Of course they would be in dreadful gear.

    Or do you honestly believe all those Rank 1 RBG players in quests greens were being skillful? Or people snagging top titles with barely a positive win record in arena, and only a few games played.

  14. #14
    Brewmaster willtron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    First of all, Wow isn't an FPS.

    Second of all, there is a free-for-all BG named Temple of Kotmogu and it's generally hated by the playerbase.

    Lastly, in a free for all style BG w/ no objectives the better geared team will always win. This is a gear based game with skill coming in second.
    please cite that - I love it, so does everyone in my guild, it's the best BG they've ever added
    Velcro. What a rip off.

  15. #15
    I would like this idea if, and only if, healer specs were banned completely, and it was... say 10v10? For that matter, I wish they'd ban healer specs from 2s while they are at it.

    As far as ToK being hated by the playerbase.... really? I freaking love that BG, as well as Gilneas as they lend to more hectic fights and more frequent fights. Try not to speak for the entire playerbase, lest you wish to end up looking foolish. Doing so tends to invalidate anything you said. Of course, you did that by also coming across as extremely condescending. Remember, cool points on the internet aren't real, no one is impressed.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    please cite that - I love it, so does everyone in my guild, it's the best BG they've ever added
    Sorry. I mean it's generally hated by people with brain cells.
    Last edited by Coldhearth; 2013-03-17 at 07:23 AM.

  17. #17
    I really think you are overstating the importance of ´objectives´ in non-death match type games. At the end of the day, almost every BG gets won by the team who killed the most players from the other team. I don´t think removing objectives from a BG would really change the essence of what we have now... which is basically a deathmatch for most players.

    As to the person who said temple was hated by most players? ha, are you joking.. I think it is one of the favorites for most players I talk to, definitely not as hated as Strands etc.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Sorry. I mean it's generally hated by people with brain cells.
    This is a very intelligent statement and can be considered as a really valuable argument!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Sorry. I mean it's generally hated by people with brain cells.
    Nice way to avoid looking dumb for speaking for the whole player base when you are really just speaking for yourself.

    Try learning that people have different opinions. Deal with it.

  20. #20
    Brewmaster willtron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldhearth View Post
    Sorry. I mean it's generally hated by people with brain cells.
    yeah, I thought as much - by everyone you mean you.
    Velcro. What a rip off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •