Poll: WoW 2 or WC4?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    Personally, I would do the following:

Unexpected end of WoW -> Warcraft 4 -> WoW 2
    Followed by the unexpected end of your employment at Blizzard I imagine as their monthly revenue stream drops to zero.

WoW2 is never going to happen as a separate launchable product. It will just gradually creep into the current game over patches. So Warcraft IV, clearly. Blizzard is developing a brand new engine for their Titan project. If I were in charge of a company doing such a thing I'd probably mention at one of the early design meetings to leave enough hooks in it so that my other MMO with its ancient engine could be ported to it someday. But that's probably just me.

It's fine and all to think about how things could go in the future but positing things that are vanishingly unlikely to ever happen is a waste of time.

Although I'll leave a caution about a Warcraft IV: People endlessly fantasized for years and years about a Diablo III. So be careful what you wish for. It might be better to leave things where they are to be honest.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-03-17 at 05:45 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Unfortunately Blizzard Blues have always been right on this matter: there is no point for WoW 2. If they want to improve on graphics they might as well do it by changing parts of the current engine. We've seen new water effects, shaders, in MoP increased texture resolution and higher poly models appearing. As time goes by they will probably slowly add more of all that into the game and in existing assets.

As for Warcraft 4, dunno. It can't be a RTS, especially an e-sport one, because it will conflict with SC2. So can it go to a more RPS style like the 3rd one did? Maybe. Problem is most people have fond memories of War3 and Sc from Custom user settings/maps which -given the state of SC2- can't work anymore because Blizzard doesn't want to.

So, people want Warcraft 4? Fine, but expect it to be always-online-and-with-all-the-riffraff that came along with SC2. Don't expect a War 3 with shiny graphics.

Deleted
    I'd much rather see Warcraft 4 realized. MMO's aren't good for storylines or visualizing actual war.

Compare the Horde and Alliance 'war' in MoP with Warcraft 1, 2 or 3. MoP isn't a war, it's a small skirmish at best.

Deleted
    Neither of both... if blizzard want to repeat their success they have to make a whole new franchise or even a whole new genre.

oh WC4 for sure, if they give us new mmo - i'd prefer it would be starcraft-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I'd much rather see Warcraft 4 realized. MMO's aren't good for storylines or visualizing actual war.

Compare the Horde and Alliance 'war' in MoP with Warcraft 1, 2 or 3. MoP isn't a war, it's a small skirmish at best.
    Warcraft 3 wasn't much of a war either tbh. Small supply caps saw to that.

"The Horde is on the move, sire!"
    "What, all twelve of them?"

10+ Year Old Account
    They are running out of ideas. They need a new Warcraft so they can make up a bunch of crap so they can later put in in WoW so people won't complain "That's not in the lore!"

I hated Warcraft 3. Warcraft 3 was pretty much Blizzard's first bona-fide "failure". The Warcraft 3 fanbase was incredibly small compared to Starcraft. There were little to no fansites. On the old battle.net, you can use chat commands to see how many players were using each game. Starcraft regularly had an active playerbase around 100k for each realm. War 3 was around 25k. It was like that for years.

The ONLY thing that saved Warcraft 3 from complete oblivion was that someone used the editor to create DotA. It was a fan creation that rescued it.

Its hardly surprising that Warcraft was the title they chose to convert to an MMO. I mean, it had no business competing with Starcraft in the RTS genre, as Starcraft was as perfect a game as you'll ever see. Warcraft HAD to move into a different genre.

Warcraft 4 should never be made. Warcraft 3 was never popular enough to warrant that. Its a dead end. Warcraft is an MMO franchise now.

Deleted
    World of warcraft 2! Why? Because ive never played Starcraft.

WoW 2 would be a great idea. They should use it to reboot the Warcraft universe. Start back at the beginning with Orcs vs Humans, Broxigar, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Northem View Post
    The end of WoW I see it as follows:

The Burning Legion has destroyed practically all worlds, except one, whose destruction has failed after several attempts: Azeroth.

However after much resistance that has caused the almost total destruction of Azeroth, the forces of light discover that all is lost: the victory of evil is imminent and will be total... if only they had kept the gift that the Titans gave to the Five Dragon Aspects now they could enlist the help of the Pantheon...

But one last hope emerges at the last moment: the forces of good in a last effort achieve to open a portal to a distant past, hoping to warn future generations of the evil that will befall over them, a second opportunity. A group of heroes venture into the portal, never to return, their mission: to change the history of World of Warcraft.

That would trigger the coming of a Warcraft 4 that expose the current situation of Azeroth after the prophecy of the future, and later a WoW 2 based on the "new" Azeroth. One way to restart the franchise...
    That sounds exactly how I think Mortal Kombat would do a bad story Reboot!
    The travel-back-in-time-to-warn-of-the-apocalypse-is-just-bad!

The only time-traveling-story-retcon that is allowed in WoW (is when it changes the events surrounding the LK's death, by making Tirion die there and Darrion Pick up the Ashbringer. Also, the there-must-always-be-a-lich-king-thing should be retconned into something like, we need a jailor to hold them in check till we can eradicate them.

on-topic: they could make a WoW-like campaign in warcraft 4 (if that new World Editor is even slightly improved over the WC3 version) That would be awesome!
    WoW characters that need/deserve to get killed/punished/otherwise removed from the story: Tirion(dead now), Thrall, Malfurion, Sylvanas(soon?), Jaina, Tyrande

better graphics = much smaller playerbase, it's not profitable to make a game harder to run

the #1 selling point for wow is that you can play it on a 10 year old dell

i personally don't want to see either one

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    No both option?.
    Why not both???

I still play WC3 very oftem... I also love WoW.

The point is that they just replaced their Rts line, they switched WC3 by SCII, so i doubt they will introduce a WC4 before they finish SC2 story, and it seems that there is still one more x-pac of SC2 on the plans...

As for wow, i would love to see a massive revamp with new graphics... If it happens that new WoW to have at least Wrath gameplay quality or better (no need to be similar, just good custumization over gameplay), have no intentions on purchasing anything lower then that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    WoW 2 would be a great idea. They should use it to reboot the Warcraft universe. Start back at the beginning with Orcs vs Humans, Broxigar, etc.
    Come to think of it, that idea actually appeals to me... a lot!

I'd love to play an MMO, RPG, or RTS set during the War of the Ancients, etc. Way back when Azeroth as all different.

Sure, it's always a bit lame when you know the future and certain outcomes, so maybe it's not an ideal setting for an MMO. But an RPG could work, as they'd focus on a single narrative of the main character, supported by the ongoing events of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasti View Post
    That sounds exactly how I think Mortal Kombat would do a bad story Reboot!
    The travel-back-in-time-to-warn-of-the-apocalypse-is-just-bad!
    My only intention was to avoid the cataclysm... There were so many areas that disappeared or were destroyed because of the cataclysm...

We must travel back in time and prevent it! Or at least avoid the cataclysm by a collateral fact of something more... important...

I sincerely doubt there is anything WoW 2 can offer that would warrant a brand new game and not just an expansion...

So the only real option would be a WC4.

With more races introduced and more architecture available thanks to WoW, you would no longer be limited to just four races.
    With new alliances formed since WC3, it could work something like, you have faction campaigns and racial campaigns.

The racial ones would play out as they did in WC3 with exploration into each race's story.

For the faction campaigns, these would be more along the lines of events we see in WoW from an RTS perspective. The twist is that you get to pick which race you play the faction campaign as.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd take an EVE style punt:

The MMO style game with an integrated-universe FPS (well, RTS for WoW) element.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Warcraft 4. No doubt about it. World of Warcraft still has many years left, and I would rather have a good lore based strategy game enter the scene once more.
    Last edited by Pancha; 2013-03-17 at 10:14 PM.

Warcraft 4.

SO they can make a proper WoW 2 after.

Warcraft 4. Blizzard have told much better storylines with their RTS games.