Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tortos 10 - what is going wrong?

We've spent two raid nights on tortos - last week our best attempt was around 18% but this week we struggled to get him below 50%, I can't see what the hell is going wrong. Logs are here: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-3qbpn8m5tm0fs1j4/

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Deleted
    I'm not really great with world of logs and I hope I am reading this wrong. But bats show as being 40% of your damage taken. If this is correct, I would look at ways to bring those bastards down more efficiently in general.

The entire fight (like many) is all add control.

Pop Heroism at Start. Turtles > Bats > Boss. The Bats have to die fast before the next stomp.
    Your DDs will get the impression they never really damage Tortos but he will die sooner or later. As clampy mentioned it, it's all about add control.

Once you get adds down in time, the whole fight becomes a lot easier. Turtles go down with time to spare, so they can be kicked through other turtles and bats. This gives them extra damage taken, which means they die faster. Easier to control. You then get more time to DPS the boss and subsequent adds.

So yeah: get turtles down in time, and everything else falls into place.

Deleted
    Move half the raid to the left side of the room into the water, the second half of the raid on the right side during quake stomp, kite the rockfalls on the sides and move into the middle just before they fall to avoid taking raid dmg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very importent: Slow the turtles!
    You will get 3 turtles everytime, this means you need 1 for breath (2 for the first breath) for every wave of turtles. So as soon as you have one turtle down, kick this turtle in the bats. Asign one dps, I would say your lock to aoe the bats down with your tank. The rest of your dps just dps the turtles and then the boss.

You have one extra melee, the monk dps. You should be able to asign him on boss only. If you still lack dps on turtles, you should swap the lock and the monk, so you have all the range on turtle, and the melee monk on the bats.

I know this is our heroic kill, but we are using this tactic, and it should work on normal as well
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWwd6QXnUpk

Quick: (This WON'T work for the first spawn!)

Wave of turtles spawns
    Mark one turtle with skull and nuke it!
    As soon as the tank have picked up all the bats, kick a turtle into them.
    Monk helps the tank finish them
    Range dps kill rest of turtles.
    Use one more turtle to get the debuff on the boss for more damage. (Don't do this on the first wave. You need this turtle to interupt the breath!!)
    When boss use breath use the last turtle.
    Repeat!

Best of luck!
    Last edited by eixx; 2013-03-30 at 12:48 PM.

Hunter - Monk - Warlock - Shaman - Paladin
    <Immersion> - Alliance 25 man guild @ Frostmane Stream

2 heal it.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5...?s=1716&e=1982

Our kill ended at 4:26. You had multiple attempts that were 30 seconds+ longer than our actual kill. And you still had 20% to go. The extra DPS speeds up turtle kill time, meaning bats die faster, meaning you have more time on the boss. It just makes the fight easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogimux View Post
    2 heal it.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5...?s=1716&e=1982

Our kill ended at 4:26. You had multiple attempts that were 30 seconds+ longer than our actual kill. And you still had 20% to go. The extra DPS speeds up turtle kill time, meaning bats die faster, meaning you have more time on the boss. It just makes the fight easier.
    This isn't a fight to 2 heal while learning it. You leave no margin for error on people derping to rockfall or a single bat getting away from the tank etc. We 2 healed all the fights up until this comfortably but decided to 3 heal tortos because it makes sense. Raid damage is high and lots of it is not avoidable, unlike horridon where dropping to 2 healers reduces dmg taken because adds die quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    This isn't a fight to 2 heal while learning it. You leave no margin for error on people derping to rockfall or a single bat getting away from the tank etc. We 2 healed all the fights up until this comfortably but decided to 3 heal tortos because it makes sense. Raid damage is high and lots of it is not avoidable, unlike horridon where dropping to 2 healers reduces dmg taken because adds die quicker.
    We spent our first night on Tortos wiping constantly at <20% while 3 healing. We switched to 2 healing and had it dead a few attempts later.
    At the 5:00 mark, the number of turtles becomes overwhelming on normal mode. If you're failing at dodging in the beginning of the fight, you're gonna get killed super quickly once there's 5-6+ turtles active. 3 healing Tortos just delays the wipe until <20%. 2 heal it and you'll have him dead before he even starts spawning them quickly. (Just for reference, our first kill was 6:10, while 2 healing it. Our latest kill was 4:33 while also 2 healing it.)

Thanks for the tips everyone, I don't think we will two heal it as our healers aren't very comfortable with two healing it. We have the monk dps on the bats and they usually always die before the stomp, so that's not the problem. I think our problem is that the turtles aren't dying so our healers are constantly having to move, which means no heals and then random deaths from the rockfall ticks. I can remember around 50%ish we had 4 turtles up at one stage so I think that's definitely it.

We found the fight to be a lot easier once we had all dps (not just ranged) get on the turtles. They have a huge hit box, so melee can easily dps them too. Our frost DK usually does top damage on them.

with this we ran 4 ranged 1 melee 2 tanks and 3 heals the only difference we did was had the dodge tank take the boss while I took the adds as a shield tank (warrior) from there the only people that attacked the bats were our rouge me 1 ranged and we stacked on our monk tank so he could help with the aoe It was also nice for me to pick them up cuz all I had to do was heroic leap and shockwave so with the stun its also a decrease in incoming damage after that once we hit 30% we just fired shells into the boss everytime the debuff dropped

Other than what else has been said, tell your hunter to stop using dire beast.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    If people stand in rockfall they need to get better. If the tank can't get all the bats he needs to improve. Having 3 healers vs. 2 healers will not help these people improve, actually it will make them worse.

---------- Post added 2013-03-31 at 08:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3nzy View Post
    Thanks for the tips everyone, I don't think we will two heal it as our healers aren't very comfortable with two healing it. We have the monk dps on the bats and they usually always die before the stomp, so that's not the problem. I think our problem is that the turtles aren't dying so our healers are constantly having to move, which means no heals and then random deaths from the rockfall ticks. I can remember around 50%ish we had 4 turtles up at one stage so I think that's definitely it.
    Switch to 2 healers and you won't have these problems. Random deaths from rockfall is bad players. How hard is it to move when the timer for rockfall comes.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    If people stand in rockfall they need to get better. If the tank can't get all the bats he needs to improve. Having 3 healers vs. 2 healers will not help these people improve, actually it will make them worse.

---------- Post added 2013-03-31 at 08:08 PM ----------

Switch to 2 healers and you won't have these problems. Random deaths from rockfall is bad players. How hard is it to move when the timer for rockfall comes.
    Better yet have their hunter MD all the bats to the tank so people don't die and the tank can pick them up.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

2 heal, debuff bats w/extra shells. it's 2 healable if people actually range the rockfalls. they do splash dmg outside of the blue circle

We went with 3 heals to be safe on our kill, and easily beat the encounter. Just have a decent player on the turtle job, marking them and kicking them. You will have enough shells to kick to every Call of Tortos cast and every Bats cast after the first set of turtles.

If your turtle-kicker knows how to do it you will basically have 25% increased dmg done on both bats and the turtles almost always; which makes it very easy to nuke them down. The rest of the fight is to position yourself well against the Rockfall and to kill the bats in time before the next set spawns. Use your AoE stuns deliberately in this fight, and keep the bats stunned as much as possible (we had it easy with 2 DK's rotating Remorseless winter for every bat spawn, but every comp should have something).

Lastly, and most importantly. Save BL for the Sub 20% burn. Seriously. Do not listen to people urging you to BL at the start; that is not the hard part of the fight.. The hard part is when at sub 20% he keeps spawning Turtles over and over and over again.

If you still struggle on him big time; try to get someone else on the turtle-kicking or trry to have 2 people do it coordinating who kicks one on what and when.

I think it's not 5 minutes where more turtles spawn I personally think it's below 20%. That was at least what we use as our strategy. Do enough turtles till 20%. Then BL and ignore further turtles (there will spawn 6 of them). We also use the turtles for the breath and on the bats each time one group spawns. We have 3 Healers, 3 range DPS and 2 melee DPS. Range DPS care about the turtles. Melee DPS kill the bats. We have one person (me) assigned to kick the turtles. As a kicker you want to have tortos in focus target so you can always see his energy. Slowing the turtles is also crucial.

Deleted
    Its a 2 heal fight if your DPS all smartly move away from the rockfall (as in 20+ yards away) to mitigate dmg and you rotate cooldowns. We do it with a Shaman/Pally and out Boomking using Tranq for one of the cooldowns. Its really not that difficult IF your raid is good about running away from rockfalls.

The extra DPS kill turtles and bats faster so its actually easier to execute for us 2 healing than it is 3 healing. 90% of the fight is about killing turtles fast enough while staying 20+ yards away from the majority of the rockfalls during the big AoE phase. Learn to do those 2 things and you're golden. We start the front of the room near the boss for the big AoE then when the massive number of rockfalls come we move as a group to the back and avoid the majority of their splash dmg. Only the MT and 1 healer stay in the front.

Trick we used was pop Hero at 20% and burn the bats/boss. But to also use one of the spare turtles to interrupt a Call of Tortos. That way we didn't have 6 turtles flying around until more like 5% instead of right away. Also got the kill then just as another set of bats came down.