Tip for weapon changes

Just so you guys know, here is something I found out the first week of 5.2:

Prior to 5.2 I was playing combat with assassination off spec.

My weapons were double upgraded normal gara'kal for mh, and double upgraded LFR spiritsever for OH

For assassination my weapons were double upgraded spiritsever for mh (my combat offhand), and nonupgraded lfr stone guard for offhand.

First week of 5.2, I get normal spiritsever with a coin roll. The problem here is that the 496 spiritsever is an ideal offhand for combat, but I already had a crystallized dread in the double upgraded LFR spiritsever, so I couldn't put the sha gem in the normal spiritsever.

Just to get rid of the sha gem from the LFR dagger, I dropped the dagger off in void storage to clear the gem and enchant, so that I could get a new sha gem for the normal mode spiritsever.

As it so turns out, dropping the dagger in void storage DID NOT clear the double-upgraded status. The LFR dagger remained at 491. (I did have to re-enchant it with dancing steel, though).

So, for whatever reason, if you need to clear a sha gem and the weapon is upgraded, void storage will not reduce the item level of that weapon (be warned, that blizz may stealth nerf that).

Good info - but I do doubt that they would nerf the item level part. The explanation of VS does say it would remove everything***, but changing the item level by reverting a change made with a feature no longer available at the cost of 1500 valor? I don't think they'd take that from ya or ever intend to.

***gems and enchants.
    Last edited by Regen; 2013-03-22 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

The issue is that the item in your inventory has extra information attached to it--the enchant, the gems, the reforges---and whether it's been upgraded (and how many times). The point of void storage is as a place to store your old transmog gear without blizzard's database needing to store all this pointless extra information. My concern was whether the upgrade status would be removed upon depositing the weapon in void storage. Either way, putting the sha gem in the 496 dagger made the most sense since I could use it in both specs, so it needed to be done. The fact that it remained 2/2, was just a pleasant surprise.

The argument that they would allow the item upgrade status to be removed is this: If you're putting it in void storage, you don't need it (I just had no other way to clear the sha gem so I could put a new one in the other weapon). It would be nice if hacks like this could be avoided by having say, the black prince's quartermaster sell you an item that can remove a sha gem for say 1000g or something. (it would simply remove the gem, NOT put it back into your inventory--you'd have to buy another gem).

I'm probably wrong but isn't it a separate item number when it's upgraded?
    Regen#1804 need NA overwatch friends.

It may be internally or something- but not by default.

Popping upgradeable items into void storage actually WOULD wipe your upgrade status in 5.1- which is why you could not do it for the whole patch. This was announced, along with the 5.2 fix to this (which would allow an item in void storage to persist with the upgrade status).

Blizzard will NOT stealth nerf it. This is confirmed correct behavior. I doubt very much that they care that sha-touched weapons can have a gem cleared out of them either.

I didn't see that in the patch notes. I did it because I needed the gem cleared (having to re-enchant it with dancing steel kind of sucked though).