Deleted

Is my monitor faulty?

Hello everyone.

I was recommended the Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM monitor, but unfortunately I'm thinking of returning it.

Would you say from this description that the monitor could be faulty?

Pros:

- Good sharp display
    - Wider range of colours and contrasts
    - Monitor and the stand itself look good

Cons:

- Bottom left side of the screen is lighter than the rest. Very annoying and very noticeable on a black background. Even on a white background the difference is there. The screen in general seems to change tone a bit depending on where I put the window. Somethings seem to have a gradient as well.
    - Faint diagonal lines cross the middle of the monitor. It's not immediately apparent, but they are there.
    - Everything is a lot darker than I would have liked. (Perhaps I just need to get used to a 'better' monitor, but I was looking through WoW screenshots that were taken on the old monitor and everything is more burnt and dark)
    - Still trying to figure this one out: Everything sort of a yellow tone to it. Especially the bottom middle of the screen there's a dirty brown tone. I think part of the monitor might be darker there and so is causing a burnt effect.

The issues described aren't incredibly off putting, but you can notice them. That's why I'm wondering if it's supposed to be like this.

Thank you for any input.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-03-20 at 06:03 PM.

Have you tried a different cable?

Deleted
    I have that monitor with none of the issues which you describe. I remember not really liking the colours too much when I got it and I just couldn't get them calibrated to my satisfaction; found a profile on the internet which done the trick. Did you buy your monitor new or refurbished?

Deleted
    any chance for some pictures?
    so far sounds like maybe abit of backlight bleeding but the lines you describe shouldn't be there.

Deleted
    @ Googz - Just tried replacing the DVI cable and even the power cable, didn't solve anything.
    @ Madrox - New
    @ Shroudster - I don't think the problems are that apparent that they'd show up on a picture, especially not the small lines in the middle of the screen. However, the problems are still apparent enough for me to notice them all the time.

Does this thread sort of have a gradient on the yellow area/posts area? The higher the posts seem to be, the lighter they get.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-03-20 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Does this thrad sort of have a gradient on the yellow area? The higher the posts seem to be, the lighter they get.
    It shouldn't. The BG color is solid all the way up/down, as far as I can tell. You can double check in paint with the color picker and compare RGB/hex values, if you really want to be sure.

Deleted
    perhaps try to contact dell tech support by phone?

Perhaps a bit silly to ask, but did have me puzzling for a while with my own LCD TV: do you have speakers set up near the effected area?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    I have that monitor with none of the issues which you describe. I remember not really liking the colours too much when I got it and I just couldn't get them calibrated to my satisfaction; found a profile on the internet which done the trick. Did you buy your monitor new or refurbished?
    Would you happen to know what or where that profile is?

Quote Originally Posted by Maliander View Post
    Perhaps a bit silly to ask, but did have me puzzling for a while with my own LCD TV: do you have speakers set up near the effected area?
    Nope, only have a lamp and a mic on my desk.

The backlight and the dark burnt looking colours are the ones that if I could fix, I'd probably keep the monitor. Perhaps just the colours, actually.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-03-20 at 07:22 PM.