Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    "Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately." From the Code of Conduct.

She never asked them to stop. She took their picture and posted it without permission to humiliate them for making silly jokes to each other in the middle of a convention. In trying to make a welcoming environment for women, she succeeded in creating a tense environment for interactions between the two genders. She should have handled it properly by asking them to stop, and giving them the option to be mature.
    There's something tense about professional adults needing to act like professional adults?

Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    we got a new supply chick at work and one day we were kinda giggling at some stupid joke and she came around asking whats so funny and we replied sorry we cant tell you the joke cause you are a girl and you will get us fired, she insisted that its ok and she liked bad jokes, but we like nope sorry cant risk it.
    Good policy. Sad but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Right to work means right to fire

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There's something tense about professional adults needing to act like professional adults?
    Truthfully, none of them acted like professional's.

15+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not. Corporations require their employees to abide by rules of behavior even at conferences.

People need to make jokes about dongs in a professional setting? Grow the fuck up.
    No, you don´t "need" to - but a joke is something that just happens some times. Also how does this "person" know that the other girl would have issues in the field just because of those two? Seems to me its only her who got an issue with them, and she didn´t hear the the party she claims to defend.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

I remember when I was a child I was taught to ignore people that were acting a fool. It would be one thing if they worked at the same company (I could understand that). But to get someone fired from another company that you dont even work at, and will probably never see those people again is crazy. Also, I would guess that those two gents have a wrongful termination lawsuit if the facts as presented are true. I know that I cannot be fired from my job if a stranger who has nothing to do with my company complains that they overheard me say something that they found offensive. Also, these types of frivolous complaints will make the woman less desirable for future hiring.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being fired was kind of an overreaction, but that was definitely not the place to be making sexual jokes that could discomfort those around you. Still a major overreaction and the woman comes across as someone I would never want to know in real life. Ever.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    Riiight, so you equate it with her being able to enter a bar / pub then overhear them sitting at a table making the same joke should get them fired? (you are the one using the term "in public") As long as they weren´t adressing her then she really need to get over herself, and adjust her sense of humor otherwise the entire workplace will be a hell hole.
    You expect bad language and jokes at a bar, this was not the same thing at all. I do think the woman who wrote the article over reacted, but those guys were idiots too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    No, you don´t "need" to - but a joke is something that just happens some times.
    A dong joke doesn't happen in a professional setting, granted I'd wager most of this board doesn't work in one.

Deleted
    It doesn't matter. They were proven to be creating hostile work environments. This is grounds for dismissal.
    Someone used the word dongle?

ERMAGERD SO HOSTILE.

Deleted
    so, they were at some convention, some woman hears two men from a different company making sexual jokes, she makes a complaint via twitter and they get fired?
    i think firing was probably over reaction, should probably have been removed from the convention if they are causing upset/distress to other visitors and a warning from their boss/company for not acting professionally.

anyway, i bet shes a major buzzkill at parties.

No, it's not. Corporations require their employees to abide by rules of behavior even at conferences.

People need to make jokes about dongs in a professional setting? Grow the fuck up.
    I guess you should be fired for cursing in public lol
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgarlaw View Post
    Someone used the word dongle?

ERMAGERD SO HOSTILE.
    There's a difference between an innocuous use and making a penis joke like a half-witted 11 year old boy.

Deleted
    Get over it, jokes are being made all the time all over the world.

In a professional setting? Even there jokes are being made, it's not like they raped a woman, you act as if it is the worst thing they can possibly do by making a joke.

A dong joke doesn't happen in a professional setting, granted I'd wager most of this board doesn't work in one.
    Actually they do happen. And I do work in a professional setting. If someone feels offended they let us know and we know not to say things that could be offensive around them. Acting like an adult happens in a professional setting. Jokes can be adult, overreactions are childish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You expect bad language and jokes at a bar, this was not the same thing at all. I do think the woman who wrote the article over reacted, but those guys were idiots too.
    Indeed, it was a private joke but within a professional environment and they suffered when a person sitting a considerable distance away took offense to a joke made by two dingus's.

Sadly, it all dipped into a shit flinging fight of RAWRRRR SEXISM - i must fight for the right's of womyns.

It doesn't happen in a professional setting, granted I'd wager most of this board doesn't work in one.
    Of course. The entire forum is comprised of unemployed preteens.

I'm not disputing that they behaved childishly, but my issue with that is:
    1. Adria's response was much more childish.
    2. The punishment significantly outweighed the crime.
    3. For fuck's sake, this bitch thinks she's Rosa Parks because she got two morons fired.

If this is how working in an office is you can have it. Glad I work in a shop building engines with my friends and family, and then when I go to Trade shows and conventions I am around 100,000 like minded people who make crude jokes and enjoy going fast.

Deleted
    There's a difference between an innocuous use and making a penis joke like a half-witted 11 year old boy.
    Penis jokes take up half of my work day, although I don't work with many women so I guess I can get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dantian View Post
    Of course. The entire forum is comprised of unemployed preteens.

I'm not disputing that they behaved childishly, but my issue with that is:
    1. Adria's response was much more childish.
    2. The punishment significantly outweighed the crime.
    3. For fuck's sake, this bitch thinks she's Rosa Parks because she got two morons fired.
    1) More childish? No.
    2) No, it fit it perfectly.
    3) I really don't fucking care what people think of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Penis jokes take up half of my work day, although I don't work with many women so I guess I can get away with it.
    I hate to state the obvious, but I will: you're in the military. I'm in an office building.