Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Help choose the best parts

Lately I have been thinking about building a computer rig. I decided to use a forum post to do so.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
    Programming. - Visual Studio 2012, Microsoft Office 2012, Compiling, Graphics, Adobe Master's Collection ( Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Fireworks ). Very very little gaming will be done. This rig is not intended to be a gaming rig.

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM / sellers? If not- why?
    Yes

3. What is your MAX budget?
    3000 dollars

4. Planning to overclock?
    Maybe. I heard that overclocking on processors wear them down. Don't know if it's good to overclock.

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
    Windows 7 Professional

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
    2 TB.

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want?
    If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
    Screen resolution: 2560 x 1440 WQHD, 27 inch

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
    Done by an assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
    3 weeks

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
    No

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
    i3 and i5 processors

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
    USA and want to buy parts in the USA

10+ Year Old Account
    with your primary purposes, low requirements, but high budget; i can definitely see a pc being built for way less. incoming $1.5k-2k build options.
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

3000$? Dude I think you can get a great one for you for half of that i love AMD processors cause they are the best when it comes to price/performance IMO. If you include 12Gb of RAM (which is way more than enough) and a good 7870 (or even 2), I think you can make it for around 1500$ but ofc it really is about opinions and tastes, you know? someone else may come here and tell you a completely different setup at about the same price tag, and it will be good as well. well, you have my opinion good luck man

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maemae View Post
    with your primary purposes, low requirements, but high budget; i can definitely see a pc being built for way less. incoming $1.5k-2k build options.
    So please propose me a build for $1.5 - 2K

---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 12:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    3000$? Dude I think you can get a great one for you for half of that i love AMD processors cause they are the best when it comes to price/performance IMO. If you include 12Gb of RAM (which is way more than enough) and a good 7870 (or even 2), I think you can make it for around 1500$ but ofc it really is about opinions and tastes, you know? someone else may come here and tell you a completely different setup at about the same price tag, and it will be good as well. well, you have my opinion good luck man
    That is what Maemae told me. I heard the AMD processors are not up to speed with Intel... no where near. The performance and power irus with Intel, so the question is really can an AMD processor really run all of what I will be doing smoothly, without any lags, without any drop in performance ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yin Yang View Post
    can an AMD processor really run all of what I will be doing smoothly, without any lags, without any drop in performance ?
    Yes, it can. For example, the AMD FX-8350 Black Edition is a GREAT processor. It's an octocore (am i saying it right? 8 cores), at 4GHz minimum, it's a bomb. And, at least here in Portugal, it sells for 220 Euros, which is about 285 US$. This is just an example of a really really good processor for you, imo, where you don't need to waste 500$ to get 5 star performance. Like I said before, for me, best price / performance. Don't think an i7 will be that much better.

EDIT: found it at around 190€, around 245$.
    Last edited by skycaptain; 2013-03-20 at 11:50 PM.

That is what Maemae told me. I heard the AMD processors are not up to speed with Intel... no where near. The performance and power irus with Intel, so the question is really can an AMD processor really run all of what I will be doing smoothly, without any lags, without any drop in performance ?
    In WoW nowhere even close, i5 runs 25-man raids 30-50% faster. If MMORPGs are not a priority then AMD's FX-8350 is fine.

But it's not the only thing that doesn't make sense skycaptain said.

First of all 12GB is weird amount of RAM. It requires picking up mismatched DDR sticks which will lower overclockability and stability of the computer. Also Radeon 7870 (or two) is really low end graphics card for $1500 computer when you can easily throw in 7970 and getting two low end cards will only give you all the bad things of crossfire with very few benefits.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    the AMD FX-8350 Black Edition is a GREAT processor. It's an octocore (am i saying it right? 8 cores), at 4GHz minimum, it's a bomb. This is just an example of a really really good processor for you, imo, where you don't need to waste 500$ to get 5 star performance. Like I said before, for me, best price / performance. Don't think an i7 will be that much better.
    Take a look at these benchmarks: anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=697

As seen in the benchmarks, the Intel hexa-core rips the AMD octo-core apart in every benchmark. So my question is, how does a hexa-core outperform an octo-core ? This is mind boggling to me, as there is no reasonal explanation. The AMD should rip the hexa-core apart, it has greater speed, greater L2 Cacher, and only 4MB less of L3 Cache. Wouldn't a true octo-core rip a hexa-core apart ? That is what I mean by Intel - power and performance.

Looking at your "needs" an i7 should be a priority, at that resolution you're also looking at a R7970 if you want to spend less than 1000$ on the gpu alone.

If you're willing and ok with dropping $3k for the computer (for example company pays) you should go for i7-3930k/x79 based system with few 250gb ssd's, 32gb ram and single gtx680 (cuda is better supported than opencl on Adobe programs). If you'd rather go for as cheap as possible, then AMD FX-8350 is actually fairly good choice but keeping the rest mentioned above except change gtx680 to 670.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    First of all 12GB is weird amount of RAM. It requires picking up mismatched DDR sticks which will lower overclockability and stability of the computer. Also Radeon 7870 (or two) is really low end graphics card for $1500 computer when you can easily throw in 7970 and getting two low end cards will only give you all the bad things of crossfire with very few benefits.
    I play WoW with a worse AMD processor than that and I get 60FPS stable in a raid. true, 12Gb just might be a little off. but you missed the point where the OP said "Programming. - Visual Studio 2012, Microsoft Office 2012, Compiling, Graphics, Adobe Master's Collection ( Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Fireworks ). Very very little gaming will be done. This rig is not intended to be a gaming rig.", that's why I think 7870 will be more than enough. I said 2 in case he wanted to play games, the crossfire between those 2 is actually good.

Deleted
    the AMD FX-8350 Black Edition is a GREAT processor. It's an octocore (am i saying it right? 8 cores), at 4GHz minimum, it's a bomb. This is just an example of a really really good processor for you, imo, where you don't need to waste 500$ to get 5 star performance. Like I said before, for me, best price / performance. Don't think an i7 will be that much better.
    Take a look at these benchmarks: anandtech.com/bench/Product/552?vs=697

As seen in the benchmarks, the Intel hexa-core rips the AMD octo-core apart in every benchmark. So my question is, how does a hexa-core outperform an octo-core ? This is mind boggling to me, as there is no reasonal explanation. The AMD should rip the hexa-core apart, it has greater speed, greater L2 Cacher, and only 4MB less of L3 Cache. Wouldn't a true octo-core rip a hexa-core apart ? That is what I mean by Intel - power and performance.

Deleted
    Take a look at these benchmarks at anandtech.

10+ Year Old Account
    He needs a powerful gpu for the rendering and encoding, there's really no choice with the programms he listed nvidia is the way to go, something like the 670 or 680 would do the trick.
    16GB or even 32GB of low cas memory, a 3930k plus 2 ssds , a 2 tb western digital green, the case is up to you look wise, something like a define r4 might suit you or it might not, I'm sure someone will post a detailed setup but this is probably how it might go, the 3930k might be too expensive so the 3770k is also an option.

If you're encoding a video once or twice a month, don't bother for an i7 because Intel's Quicksync can be even faster than a discrete card. Graphics card I would say a gtx 650ti or a gtx 660. Cuda seems to be better supported in many applications, correct me if I'm wrong..

Take a look at these benchmarks at anandtech.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? that intel costs more than TWICE the AMD.

EDIT: maybe you didn't understand when I said it was the best price/performance. i never said it was the best. and as i said, it was my opinion, many people have different opinions than me. For what he wants to do with his rig, the AMD I suggested is great, he doesn't need more. Ofc the intel is better, but it costs like 250% of the AMD price.
    Last edited by skycaptain; 2013-03-21 at 02:21 AM.

ARE YOU SERIOUS? that intel costs more than TWICE the AMD.

EDIT: maybe you didn't understand when I said it was the best price/performance. i never said it was the best. and as i said, it was my opinion, many people have different opinions than me. For what he wants to do with his rig, the AMD I suggested is great, he doesn't need more. Ofc the intel is better, but it costs like 250% of the AMD price.
    Stop trying to argue with the OP, listen to his needs & choices.

What can I say, you get what you pay for. At least if you are a professional user like the OP clearly thinks he is. I would settle for a 3770K or a 3930K. And I just read he wasn't gonna game in his resolution so I would recommend him getting a GTX670 instead of the AMD as it will work better in most his programs.

The 8350 is an excellent budget CPU for home offices etc. But once you start talking 3000$ budgets and a desire for an intel CPU, the 8350 is kinda ruled out of the equation. The OP isn't looking for a cheap system, he is looking for max performance and his budget is 3000, really no point trying to build him a 1200$ rig.

I play WoW with a worse AMD processor than that and I get 60FPS stable in a raid.
    And pigs fly.

but you missed the point where the OP said
    First post was refuting you, second post few minutes later was actually answering to OP's needs.

that's why I think 7870 will be more than enough. I said 2 in case he wanted to play games, the crossfire between those 2 is actually good.
    7870 is nowhere nearly enough for 2560x1440 monitors, not even two. And AMD cards perform worse in Adobe products because those support cuda better than OpenCL.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($563.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_BK 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($198.83 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($152.49 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($331.43 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 680 2GB Video Card ($459.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: Corsair CC650DW ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ Best Buy)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $2461.66
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-21 08:15 EDT-0400)

If you already have the Windows 7 license then you can subtract that from above build. If you don't need a Blu-Ray drive/writer then swap to some cheap DVD drive. Do you already have the monitor? If not you can teak the system a little to be cheaper and then include the ASUS PB Series PB278Q 27" $650

10+ Year Old Account
    The above build is what I would go for, only a minor change I would make is to replace the Phanteks cooler with the Noctua NH-D14 since they are identical in price but the NH-D14 have better thermal performance.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)