Deleted

Vibrating/ticking noise coming from Computer (possibly PSU)

So, since a couple of weeks i got a vibrating/ticking noise coming from my computer. Figuring it is some fan, I checked all possible fans. But it seems those are all fine. I think, I now have located the problem, being the PSU. I have unplugged it, blow into it to check if it was the fan. I unplugged the HDD to see if that was the cause. But even without that it still makes the noise. I have made a short movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrEI2OBdAjM

You can hear the ticking clear at 17 seconds, what it doesnt show good is that when the computer turns of the noise slowly goes away (like a fan slowly turning off). Hence I think its the fan of the PSU.

Im just wondering if it really is the fan or something else?

Yes i know its dusty, im getting compressed air later today to clean it all out.

edit:

Ticking seems to fluctuating as well. Being louder at one time, and than being almost absent.
    Last edited by mmoc24391763c2; 2013-03-22 at 10:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit It's dusty! Hopefully the issue is resolved by the dust cleaning.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Did you check the fans on the video card? I had one that started making that noise, eventually I had to replace the video card, the fan actually fell out of it.

Deleted
    Could very well be one of the bearings in the PSU fan. Thing is, unless you can regulate the fan manually, that's really hard to test in one system.

Do you have a system around that you can stick the psu in, to see if the sound disappears / appears again? (Dat precious cable management, you'll have to redo it )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oktavian007 View Post
    Did you check the fans on the video card? I had one that started making that noise, eventually I had to replace the video card, the fan actually fell out of it.
    It is not the GPU, just checked it. To bad really, might have RMAed it and gotten a 7970 that can actually OC -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    Could very well be one of the bearings in the PSU fan. Thing is, unless you can regulate the fan manually, that's really hard to test in one system.

Do you have a system around that you can stick the psu in, to see if the sound disappears / appears again? (Dat precious cable management, you'll have to redo it )
    I got no acces to another system to check it out. Altho im getting more and more convinced it is the fan. Just now, when i checked the gpu I hear no ticking sounds. Gonna clean it out tonight or tomorrow and will see how it goes.

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 03:42 PM ----------

So lesson learned. Dust can fuck up stuff!
    Of course, I already knew that. But that it could cause something as small as this.

Anyway, I bought some compressed air and went to work on the PSU and the other stuff. And now all i can hear is my CPU fan, as usual, need to replace that fan someday

---------- Post added 2013-03-22 at 05:22 PM ----------

And it is back again xD Probably the fan than, atleast it isnt as loud as before. So im still open to suggestions about it.

Atleast my case is dust free