Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Different stereotypes in different countries

Hi guys!

So me and my girlfriend were talking about this the other day and a question was raised. What kind of different stereotypes there are for different people in YOUR country? I'll give you an example here:

So I live in Finland and there is a stereotype for kids (mostly boys but girls too) at the age of 12-17. Most of them seem to try acting real tough and yell at elderlys and spit and drink a lot of energy drinks (especially one called ES (Euroshopper)). And when they drink those energy drinks they get hyperactive and start flipping out (word in Finland: pärisemään). They wear trucker's and hoodies and most of the time when I see them they also eat a lot of pastries in public. There is a word for them and it's Jonne. Jonne itself doesn't mean anything and I don't know how or why whoever invented this shit came up with it. In the end they really are just mama's boys and start crying or run away if you answer their taunt.

Hopefully you understood what I meant and let the discussion begin!

I'm starting to get old, because I'm from Finland and I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

15+ Year Old Account
    Dutch are potheads, cheap and open. That's, I guess, what foreigners thing about us Dutchies.

I also thing most Dutch people online are kind of... Crazy in a bad way. This might be because those crazy people tend to think the Dutch are superior and start speaking Dutch. Then I know they're Dutch and that might be why I think Dutchies are crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    People seem to think all Texans are just a bunch of gun-toting hyper-religious ignorant hillbillies.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    People seem to think all Texans are just a bunch of gun-toting hyper-religious ignorant hillbillies.
    That spend all day riding horses or driving pick-up trucks and eating massive steaks.

I suppose there's all sorts of different stereotypes for Americans, depending which country is thinking of us. The one I enjoy is that quite a few people seem to think we all sound like movie cowboys

Yeah.... Young Swedes are the same as Finns, not so hard to believe

Far too many people see Californians as hippies with a surfboard fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I suppose there's all sorts of different stereotypes for Americans, depending which country is thinking of us. The one I enjoy is that quite a few people seem to think we all sound like movie cowboys
    You mean you don't all ride horses to work shouting "yee-haw!"?

Everyone seems to think Minnesotans correspond to the stereotypes portrayed in the movie Fargo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Everyone seems to think Minnesotans correspond to the stereotypes portrayed in the movie Fargo.
    They also think anyone in Fargo corresponds to the stereotypes portrayed in the movie Fargo.

10+ Year Old Account
    People from New York are assholes. But that's true.

15+ Year Old Account
    I guess I would say rednecks, kinda the universal stereotype of stereotypes.
    Brats and ghetto kids score quite high as well
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    There are two stereotypes here in England. The polite, tea drinking gentleman that is well spoken, then there is the football hooligan and chavs that drink Stella Artois and cheap cider and can barely speak English.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    There are two stereotypes here in England. The polite, tea drinking gentleman that is well spoken, then there is the football hooligan and chavs that drink Stella Artois and cheap cider and can barely speak English.
    To my knowledge both wear loafers, white tube socks and are gingers too
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    To my knowledge both wear loafers, white tube socks and are gingers too
    Thats not England you are thinking about, maybe Ireland?

I'll admit, the first thing that comes to mind is tea and crumpets while watching cricket.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats not England you are thinking about, maybe Ireland?
    Or any lovely talkshow from Sweden in the 1980ies

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'll admit, the first thing that comes to mind is tea and crumpets while watching cricket.
    The crumpet fetish is misunderstood. Many Foreigners think we are talking about the food stuff, but getting crumpet is actually a slang term for getting laid.

10+ Year Old Account
    <3 Cider. Strongbow is good, I don't care how cheap it is!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!