Poll: Guilds of today would clear BC's SWP (non-gated) in the first reset

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    "Yes-sayers", did guild members today grow a boss killing glands or raid completing appendages? WTF?

Mechanic of the game didn't change that much for those years and there's a limit of hurdles on WoW you need to train to overcome. At some point you've just trained to the max, have all available theorycrafting (and by end of BC you DID have it already) and all you need past this point is time and math/RNG blessing behind your strategy. With exactly previous tuning, current guilds would take exactly previous time to complete content.

If SWP released today - most definetely. If todays players went to the past to raid it - no way in hell.

All the experience one requires to tackle today's most complex encounter mechanics was already easily acquired long before even Classic World of Warcraft was ever released, let alone Mists of Pandaria. The set of skills required to raid in today's WoW is in no way, shape or form unique to World of Warcraft and could (and was) mastered by countless people even back in the 90s and earlier.

The major difference between today's top guilds is not skill, but their approach to raiding. Today's top guilds raid much more than guilds did back in the day, and they've adopted various strategies that, for example, help them better gear up their groups.

So please stop insulting just about every competitive video gamer who gamed in the 90s (or even early 00s) with this rubbish about today's competitive gamers somehow having better situational awareness, better reaction times, better split-second decision making, better teamwork... or whatever the hell else it is you think is needed to tackle encounter mechanics in an MMORPG.

If anything, gaming has never gravitated more towards the casual friendly spectrum, and older gamers are probably much, much more used to brutal and unforgiving game mechanics than most of you gamers in your teens and early twenties are.
    Last edited by Akylios; 2013-03-28 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magally View Post
    Yeah bro, 3 boss mechanics was hard. Cleansing a dot, killing an add and healing. Badass mechanics there, and they applied to most bosses before AQ.
    "Most" bosses before AQ? No one cares about anything before AQ.

Bosses today aren't any better. Spread out, stack, tank swap. Lei Shen. Might as well be called Warmaster Blackhorn. See? I can generalize too -_-

The closest thing we really had to Muru was Spine. Simple encounter, you know what to do after the first few pulls. DPS check the challenge, and simple mistakes mean you start all over. Took guilds awhile. If it was tuned how it was back in Sunwell, Muru would do the same.

I'm entertained that most people responding with a resounding yes fail to factor in how shitty class mechanics were in vanilla/TBC era. As one of the idiots that beat my head against a wall on 1.0 M'uru I have no trouble conceding that a top 10 guild today could take down M'uru with 5.2 mechanics. With that said, I think it's hilarious how people who started playing in cata act like boss mechanics were such a joke that everything could be facerolled in 2.X with "better" players. WoW was a very challenging game in the early days because even something as basic as threat management or tank swapping was constitution for a wipe. I don't have trouble believing that paragon could kill M'uru 1.0 with 16 warglaive rogues, 7 shamans, and 2 warriors. I also think you could do it with a PUG under those retarded assumptions since that is basically avoiding the question altogether.

M'uru 1.0 would be easy though since after a wipe we can easily mass rez with our rogue who vanished, follow up with a great banquet, and re-engage in 5 minutes since trash never respawns. Oh wait ...
    Last edited by unholycrushe; 2013-03-29 at 04:00 AM.