Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggo View Post
    Talking to a monitor is not socializing. It eliminates many characteristics of the face to face talk, thus making it useless as a 'practice tool'. Being shy isn't permanent, you can change it with a bit of help.
    What if someone is happier "talking to a monitor" than face to face? I myself have my issues and even tho I am capable of working them out and deal with every day social situations that are required in work or anywhere outside my home. That doesn't change the fact that this is and always be exhausting for me and I feel much better at home where I can be 100% myself without any consequences. We can learn to adjust - we can't learn to be someone else inside. I prefer my alone time much more than spending time with people - been like than since I remember long before I had a PC. Why on earth I should force myself to do stuff that are "socially accepted" when I can be perfectly happy being myself. The need of social interaction is different for every person and that's perfectly natural.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    You don't get social phobia from playing video games. Playing video games is a symptom of social phobia, not the cause.
    While I'm sure that's true, they can be a way for people to avoid confronting their fears. That's a problem.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahad View Post
    Again, who the fuck are you, and what's so great about your life, that makes you able to judge that living with minimal social interactions is a PROBLEM?

This goes for everyone who thinks similarly, by the way.
    And to this ill repeat, chill the fuck up, You got it the wrong way, live the way you want and don't bother me with your attitude.

Again, who the fuck are you, and what's so great about your life, that makes you able to judge that living with minimal social interactions is a PROBLEM?
    There's ample data showing that a lack of human interaction is responsible for decreases in both mental and physical health. A life without meaningful connection to other people is objectively a less enjoyable life to live.

Your rage at someone suggesting that human life is more rich and fulfilling when shared with others isn't exactly a counterpoint to that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    While I'm sure that's true, they can be a way for people to avoid confronting their fears. That's a problem.
    True, but it can also be of tremendous help for others.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilija View Post
    What if someone is happier "talking to a monitor" than face to face? I myself have my issues and even tho I am capable of working them out and deal with every day social situations that are required in work or anywhere outside my home. That doesn't change the fact that this is and always be exhausting for me and I feel much better at home where I can be 100% myself without any consequences. We can learn to adjust - we can't learn to be someone else inside. I prefer my alone time much more than spending time with people - been like than since I remember long before I had a PC. Why on earth I should force myself to do stuff that are "socially accepted" when I can be perfectly happy being myself. The need of social interaction is different for every person and that's perfectly natural.
    Of course talking to a monitor would make you happy, if you're a shy person, but that, in many cases means you're allowing your shyness to limit your possibilities. Maybe by not going to that party on Friday, you're losing the chance to meet someone special of whatever.

Sure, absolutely. That's why I've said a couple of times in this thread that I think they're helpful in developing some skills. WoW, in particular, helps develop certain social and interpersonal skills because of guild dynamics. If someone's using games a positive tool, that's great. I think we should just also recognize that some people can retreat into them, which is not so great.

There's ample data showing that a lack of human interaction is responsible for decreases in both mental and physical health. A life without meaningful connection to other people is objectively a less enjoyable life to live.

Your rage at someone suggesting that human life is more rich and fulfilling when shared with others isn't exactly a counterpoint to that idea.
    The important thing here to note is what correlation it has. What is causing people to shy away from social interactions?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Someone should show her the studies of brain development in people that play interactive video games juxtaposed to those that take spoonfuls of T.V. for 6+ hours a day.

Deleted
    If you can manage it properly and not allowing the addiction to dictate what you do, sure it's a way as another to spend your free time.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    If you can't manage it properly and not allowing the addiction to dictate what you do, sure it's a way as another to spend your free time.
    But what if you can manage it properly.

Deleted
    But what if you can manage it properly.
    I meant "can". Curse you iPhone and your damn auto correction.

Unfortunately though, for many people managing a highly addictive game isn't the easiest thing ever.
    As an adult.
    I can only imagine a teen or pre-teenager.

Define what's a lack of social interaction please? Considering that everyone likes different amounts of human contact, your data that shows that when someone has less than what they need are unhappy doesn't mean fuck all in the cases of people who are just happier when they are alone more often.
    He's not suggesting anything. He's stating that being introverted is a problem. And who said I'm raging? Mildly annoyed maybe, but I am certainly not angry.
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Deleted
    Define what's a lack of social interaction please? Considering that everyone likes different amounts of human contact, your data that shows that when someone has less than what they need are unhappy doesn't mean fuck all in the cases of people who are just happier when they are alone more often.
    He's not suggesting anything. He's stating that being introverted is a problem. And who said I'm raging? Mildly annoyed maybe, but I am certainly not angry.
    What makes you happy sometimes doesn't always equal to "what's good for you". And I mean phisically.
    And I stated nothing, you took it completely wrong and overreacted. If you're sensible about the issue, count to 10 before saying something, as chances are you are taking things personally.

Edit: oh and also, yes. Being introverted IS a problem. I know damn well as I'm quite introverted myself.
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2013-03-25 at 01:33 PM.

I dislike hairsplitting; you know perfectly well what's meant by social interaction in this context.

Being introverted to the extent of preferring games over people is a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember when they said the same about comic books, then TV. The debate about video games is hardly surprising, The only thing is that computer games now have become much more of a social media than they used to be and still people are complaining. I get the feeling they are people who have no idea about the industry for just people that have a seething hatred for it.

I would say let us wait 50 years when the next two generations take over but there are always going to be upper class snobs who will treat it badly...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

This is a video answere to Kristina Djarlings from a bright pc nerd, unfortunate it is in danish so for those that not understand that Im sry but could not find any english version of it.
    Basically this young man Lasse P. Vestergård *Hatten* crush her opinions and peel off her arguments. I tumbed it cause his verry good at show how dangerous it is when a person with her background trows out aguments without statistic and validations of her argument, something he actually do.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbakcNMgRZU
    Last edited by Tahsou; 2013-03-25 at 01:42 PM.

Deleted
    She has no epix! and her character model was ugly.

Not more to say

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I meant "can". Curse you iPhone and your damn auto correction.

Unfortunately though, for many people managing a highly addictive game isn't the easiest thing ever.
    As an adult.
    I can only imagine a teen or pre-teenager.
    Oh, yeah. I should have noticed the otherwise incoherent post.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I remember when they said the same about comic books, then TV. The debate about video games is hardly surprising, The only thing is that computer games now have become much more of a social media than they used to be and still people are complaining. I get the feeling they are people who have no idea about the industry for just people that have a seething hatred for it.

I would say let us wait 50 years when the next two generations take over but there are always going to be upper class snobs who will treat it badly...
    In fairness, no one went to rehab for comics. Video games, especially the latest ones, are extremely addictive, wouldn't you agree?