Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    My dislike of people is what destroys my social life.

When I don't have my computers I spend my time reading.
    Exactly my sentiments.

Personally playing video games increased my social life and got me out of my shell. I've met some of my best friends through video games. I've became more social from talking to lots of people daily on skype because of arenas/rbgs/raids etc. The video is close-minded and really the person just wants attention by stirring controversy.

Deleted
    I almost fell of my chair laughin in the end when she started talking about losing my soul.... This woman is crazy... Im so sad to be from the same country as her.

Deleted
    What destroys my social life is lack of money caused by repeated pay cuts and an economy ruined by a chancellor with his head up his arse.

But this is what they said about TV when it came in, probably radio too, no doubt when mass printing began also......society adapts.

There comes a point in everyone's life where they realize almost everyone they meet is either:

1. selfish / out of themselves / lacking empathy
    2. dumb
    3. stuck up / full of themselves / big heads, small potatoes

or a combination of several of those.

Its when the realization dawns that people are like this, you realize having a social life sucks. For some people, they realize this very early in life. Others, much later.

Unless you happen to be extremely lucky and find a great person. Then you might have a genuine friend. Still no social life tho.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 09:42 PM ----------

I'll tell you what I miss. I miss being 8 years old. When you could show up at one of those awfully boring social functions parents throw. All the parents are not just old, but bitter, cranky, and complain about people behind their back. And then you meet another kid about your age. And they are NONE of that. They are happy, fun-loving. You meet, and its just instinct to run around and have a great time playing games.

And then somewhere, around 12-13, everything changes and goes wrong. People start to go crazy. They get angsty, bitter, cranky, start gossiping, and its like their soul drains out of their body. They try to fill it back up with drugs, sex, alcohol. But it never works.

But 8 years old. That's where everything is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    There comes a point in everyone's life where they realize almost everyone they meet is either:

1. selfish / out of themselves / lacking empathy
    2. dumb
    3. stuck up / full of themselves / big heads, small potatoes

or a combination of several of those.

Its when the realization dawns that people are like this, you realize having a social life sucks. For some people, they realize this very early in life. Others, much later.

Unless you happen to be extremely lucky and find a great person. Then you might have a genuine friend. Still no social life tho.
    ...or you get past that stage when you realize not "everybody" is selfish/out for themselves/lacking empathy, dumb, or stuck up/full of themselves.

I used to think like you... when I was between High-School and 30... now that I'm nearing my 40s, and learned to actually go out and talk to the RIGHT people (ie... not on forums. Not at bars. Not at stock markets. Not at businesses... but people in libraries, fund raisers, events, conventions, ect...) I find that there's LOTS of people out there who aren't so selfish.

I have but to look at what I refer to as the "Brony generation" to know that what you say is completely untrue. They're a GREAT bunch of genuine positive people! The only people who believe your list above are the Cynics... and Cynics do NOT create.

I've found that I have to purge the Cynics out of my life who believe the above list of yours... they're toxic. There's so many good people out there and so many good things, but when you hide yourself in a bubble - or expect to find them while hanging out with other Cynics - or, worse, simply use it as an excuse to be a perpetual victim in order to believe you're the only "sane" person on the planet who "sees reality for what it is" - it never happens.

If you let them.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...or you get past that stage when you realize not "everybody" is selfish/out for themselves/lacking empathy, dumb, or stuck up/full of themselves.

I used to think like you... when I was between High-School and 30... now that I'm nearing my 40s, and learned to actually go out and talk to the RIGHT people (ie... not on forums. Not at bars. Not at stock markets. Not at businesses... but people in libraries, fund raisers, events, conventions, ect...) I find that there's LOTS of people out there who aren't so selfish.

I have but to look at what I refer to as the "Brony generation" to know that what you say is completely untrue. They're a GREAT bunch of genuine positive people! The only people who believe your list above are the Cynics... and Cynics do NOT create.

I've found that I have to purge the Cynics out of my life who believe the above list of yours... they're toxic. There's so many good people out there and so many good things, but when you hide yourself in a bubble - or expect to find them while hanging out with other Cynics - or, worse, simply use it as an excuse to be a perpetual victim in order to believe you're the only "sane" person on the planet who "sees reality for what it is" - it never happens.
    I prefer to believe all the scientific experiments done that examine what people are like. Science has determined its about a 90-10 split. 90% of the people are selfish. They simply don't care about other people. The other 10% do care. Sure, they are out there. But they are few.

Even in terms of World of Warcraft I see the same thing. I used to be in a guild. I'd take the initiative to go farm mats for raids. I was the only one who bothered. Most people didn't even show up on time. They simply didn't care they were wasting everyone else's time by showing up 25 minutes late. In a group of about 40, I would count about 2-3 others besides myself that cared about others. And that's very close to the scientific studies I saw where only 10% care. And this goes beyond WoW. Its everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    I deal with stupid people all day with my job. I enjoy coming home, winding down and picking up some phat lewtz from raid bosses and killing internet dragons with other people. What's wrong with that? I met my fiance through WoW. 5 years strong now. I've met A LOT of friends through WoW that I talk to outside of the game more than my 'normal' friends.

She is just looking for attention, and it's working. Everyone should go back to dragonslaying and ignore this crazy lady.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Given my reclusive and introverted nature, video games and digital-social interactions have done wonders to expand my social life.
    Agreed. If I didn't have online interaction, I'd have virtually no human interaction outside of my direct family.

That introverted nature wasn't caused by video games. Before that, it was books.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2013-03-25 at 05:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    She is just looking for attention, and it's working. Everyone should go back to dragonslaying and ignore this crazy lady.
    but its so funny. i think jon stewart should have her interviewed.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

She is either really dumb, or a master troll.
    What sort of reaction did she honestly think she would get?

I've found that I have to purge the Cynics out of my life who believe the above list of yours... they're toxic.
    Toxic people are those that are selfish, gossip behind other's back. I have one more recent example for you. I worked at this one place where this girl felt another girl was a threat to get the male co-worker she wanted. So she systematically attempted to destroy her reputation in the workplace. She would keep an eagle eye on her. If she slipped up, like was back a little bit late from lunch, she'd report her to the supervisor.

THAT is what I call toxic.

Toxic is NOT seeing people like this all over the place and recognizing it for what it is.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

The "Brony" generation.

That assumes that a good majority of people in my generation and under are bronies.

That isn't the case.

Philosophically, I agree with the poster you are quoting. I found this out after junior high and secluded myself from most with the exception of a coach/mentor and my friend. But to say this but spend most of your time in a online game where you also socialize is a cop out IMO

The people you are speaking to at libaries and fundraisers are one of those, you just haven't detected it yet.

Did she just say I couldn't tell the difference between Onyxia and my cat when I was 11? 0.o

yes in this new world anything can become addicting,but it depends on how the video games are brought into the house, and everything.
    I love my video games, I could literally play for hours. But I much rather hang out with friends. I may have 10 lives in my game, but I only have 1 life in real life. So I may as well spend it right. With my family and friends. I can always pause my game, I can't pause life itself.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Agreed. If I didn't have online interaction, I'd have virtually no human interaction outside of my direct family.

That introverted nature wasn't caused by video games. Before that, it was books.
    If you can interact with people online, you can interact with people in public as well. (No offense)

But you are still interacting with people and seeing them at their best and worst. You are just killing a dragon/old god with said person.

10+ Year Old Account
    If i wanted a social life, I'd put the games down. Since i don't, the games will stay

Online video gaming can not only fulfill many/most human social interaction needs, but can also be legitimately healthy. Research has shown an hour of online gaming a day to be a more potent anti depressant then most drugs.
    The lady in the video has no idea what she's talking about. Just ignorant broad stroke generalizations.