Deleted

Starting up with training

I looked at http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...fitness-advice! but I didn't feel I got the answers I was looking for, so I decided to create my own.

I don't do anything with my life, barely any friends (and even then no close ones) and I'm not training either. These last 2 days I've been feeling shit about wasting away my life, so I decided that I need to do something about it. I've heard training is a good source for building up self-confidence (and frankly I could use some) but I have no idea where to start. I weigh 54 kg/119 lbs, I'm 167 cm/66 inches tall and I have no muscles. Here's my arm: http://i47.tinypic.com/29frn2t.jpg

My question is, I want to build some arm muscles, but I don't want to become the next Arnold Schwarzeneger, just muscles so I don't look like a corpse. I also, as said, want to build self-confidence. I do enjoy running as well. What do I eat? What should I do for these things? Start at a gym? What do I do at the gym? Plenty of questions. Any suggestions?

You're not going to look like Arnold unless you put in years of training. Frist don't just focus on arms. A lot of people don't even isolate arms yet they have huge guns. Do compound and/or Olympic lifts and your arms will come. I'd recommend Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength.
    http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/star...ell-bible.html
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=998224&page=1

I'm a skinny little dude myself (5'8", ~140 pounds), so I can relate! Training is a great way to feel good about yourself, and I'd recommend doing both cardio and weight training. Getting bigger and more muscular is nice, but running and biking is great too; they serve somewhat different purposes, but are both excellent for health. For slender guys like us, it's a lot easier to be good at running, which makes it a bit easier to stay motivated, in my experience.

I'll second Wlizper that 5x5 is a good program to start with. Aside from that, a big principle for getting bigger is lift heavy. You shouldn't be totally comfortable, you should be experiencing muscle failure at the end of your reps. That's a good thing! It'll give you a shot of endorphins too, which is nice. After your workout, make sure you consume some lean protein. The easiest way to do that is with protein shakes, but they're surely not specifically required. Personally, I think they're tasty (I make mine with a banana, crushed ice, unsweetened almond milk, and vanilla flavored whey protein powder). You might not bulk easily if you don't set a specific regimen for it (I don't), but you'll notice some great definition very quickly.

Also, I'd recommend an exercise ball. They're amazing for core work.

Wow...... Training advice before even giving him a specific diet plan since the OP's goal is to BUILD muscle NO matter what if his diet isn't up to the task he wont gain shit if anything he would just shred out and still be skinny, Since the OP stated he wants to build muscle he would need to get on a Caloric surplus as well as still eat clean and not just junk food to meet that surplus.

Stating you do nothing and not training and weighing 119lb you might be a ectomorph, assuming you've done at least some training in school as part of a gym credit and still lacking in definition I would say your a ectomorph(AKA hardgainer) So for training limit cardio since your possibly an ectomorph you have a high metabolism to much cardio would burn off to many calories and put you in a deficit when you need to be in a surplus of calories.

For a diet I would recommend eating A LOT more then your probably consuming now for starters find out what your TDEE(Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and increase that by 10-15% meet your macros(protein,fats,carbohydrates) first then go from there.

If your need anymore advice feel free to ask or seek more advice from bodybuilding.com they are full of people who can help.
    Last edited by Souichirou; 2013-03-24 at 10:06 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Souichirou View Post
    For a diet I would recommend eating A LOT more then your probably consuming now for starters find out what your TDEE(Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and increase that by 10-15% meet your macros(protein,fats,carbohydrates) first then go from there.
    Thanks for the tip - noticed there's lots of meat tho, do you know any easy meals that contain these things? With the exception of eggs. I mean, eggs are lovely but eating omelette everyday will probably get tiring after a while.

Carbs - potatoes, pasta, rice.
    Proteins + fat - Meat (not chicken) and fatty fish

Fatty fish especially is good. They like Herring in Norway right? It is basically protein, fat and carbs. Not the right % of each though but it is all 3 in one easy package .

And obviously not hamburgers from mcDonalds because you are also thinking that it is fat + proteins. Check up on what kind of fat you want to eat. Do some research into saturated and unsaturated fat.

You probably could maximise that a lot by going to one of those body build supply stores and doing some alchemy with shakes but for a start, home cooked supermarket food should do well. Unless you really want to take it serious, then I guess the bodybuilding.com forums are a better place to ask. These people eat so precise every day that they probably know a lot of good recipes where you have to go to specific stores just to get the right kind of baking oil, fish, veggies etc. to min/max. But that is a bridge too far for now perhaps. First, get started.
    Last edited by Bolson13; 2013-03-26 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Thanks for the tip - noticed there's lots of meat tho, do you know any easy meals that contain these things? With the exception of eggs. I mean, eggs are lovely but eating omelette everyday will probably get tiring after a while.
    Well as you stated eggs will get boring at every meal but just have some in the morning cooked differently each day it changes the tastes eg. scrambled, poached, over easy etc, for other sources of protein you could always go with beef, chicken, fish as Bolson said above fish is GREAT for you since its super lean and contains omega-3's BUT to much fish can also be bad due to increased mercury intake so limit it to 2-4 times a week but that's just me.

BUT you also have to factor in cost of whole foods, eating purely whole foods is SUPER healthy BUT also very costly if you were to say eat a steaks daily so you can also add in protein powders from many supplement stores or at Bodybuilding.com for cost it SEEMS like a lot but if you break it down a 5lb tub of whey would cost you about $70-80 which seems steep BUT it also contains about 70-75 servings which if broken down would be anywhere from 1.10-1.60 per serving which is very cheap for 25 grams of protein especially if you don't have tons of time to cook or pre-cook multiple meals and take it with you.

Also KEEP a food journal most people NEVER do and cant lose weight or in your case end up in a dirty bulk(bulking is eating a caloric surplus to gain mass) the journal will keep track of calories eaten as well as protein, fats, carbs, fiber etc and totals it so you can increase your TDEE by the 10-15% and gain mass properly.
    Last edited by Souichirou; 2013-03-26 at 11:16 AM.