Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Round Rock, Tx (US - Thrall/Skullcrusher - Horde)

CPU idle temps at 40C at stock settings.

I'm trying to rule out what could be causing my cpu to run so warm for no reason.

My H80i seems to be working fine, both fans are spinning and I can feel the water moving in the tubes. My front intake, top exhaust fans are moving at full speeds. I've even redid the thermal paste.

When OCing (4.3ghz) my temps were at around 50C. I see people running so much cooler with higher clocks it seems.

Anything I may have failed to check/replace?
    Main Rig:
    CPU: i7-3770k @ 4.6GHz w/ Corsiar H100i in push/pull
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
    GPU: EVGA 780ti SC
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 16GB (8x2)
    SSD/HDD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB w/ WD Caviar Black 2TB

10+ Year Old Account
    What's ambient temperature? Have you lowered voltage at all?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Ambient temperature is at 22c and the voltage at the time was 1.08v at stock clocks.

Edit: also, under full load at 4.3ghz, I was anywhere from 90c to 100c.
    Last edited by Vynrael; 2013-03-25 at 12:30 AM.
    Main Rig:

You should take a look at how your cooler is seated and redo the thermal paste.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    You're absolutely fine. Ivy Bridge runs pretty hot but those temperatures are well within limits.

http://ark.intel.com/products/65523

Tcase is 67.4°C. Anything below that is fine for light usage; for heavy usage, 80-85 degrees is fine.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/32881

90-100C does sound too hot though.
    Last edited by mmoc63f52cb002; 2013-03-25 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You should take a look at how your cooler is seated and redo the thermal paste.
    I just did redo the thermal paste. The stock paste was a little sloppy, still running warm, but it's better. I did screw it down a bit tighter, temps did drop a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Haleth View Post
    You're absolutely fine. Ivy Bridge runs pretty hot but those temperatures are well within limits.
    I knew Ivy Bridge ran hot, just seemed a little excessive for that clock.

I may just be over reacting a bit. >.> I'd just rather be on the safe side, just really expensive to replace. xD
    Main Rig:

Yea something is wrong.. My 3570k idles @ 26-30 C at a 25 ambient temps and runs at 85ish max in P95 and that's with a hyper212 evo...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

10+ Year Old Account
    I noticed when i swapped my fans from sp120s, to nf-f12s my temps went up like 8 degrees at idle (though under full load in prime temps are the same as the old fans). But since they were mid 20s before and not are low-mid 30s i dont mind since my computer is nice and quiet.

40 is def high but well within tolerance (though at 4.3 and 50c at idle is high), what are you getting under full load?

Hopefully you didn't set the fans blowing to eachother.. What's your Vcore under load?

It's most likely your pump or CPU block. Try reseating the CPU block.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    It's most likely your pump or CPU block. Try reseating the CPU block.
    Please read the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Vynrael View Post
    I just did redo the thermal paste. The stock paste was a little sloppy, still running warm, but it's better. I did screw it down a bit tighter, temps did drop a bit.

Those temps are still high even for IB with a good cooler.

As others have mentioned, check your fans and check the pump. Try playing with the pump settings and see if it makes any noises while changing speeds. I found that to work when I was trying to determine a friends issue. Try plugging the fans straight into the PSU and see if that makes a difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay. Will do. I'll play with the pump when I get off work. We are talking Corsair link settings right? Or do I need to take the block back off again?

@Faithh: I've checked all the fans many times lol. Front is intake, top is exhaust and h80i is push/pull out of the back.

@Maruka: I dont remember the vcore underload(right now I think I have it at 1.075), I'm at work atm. But temps with the oc were hovering at around 80c at 100percent load. This was after applying new paste.

Edit: That took forever on my phone. xD
    Main Rig:

@Faithh: I've checked all the fans many times lol. Front is intake, top is exhaust and h80i is push/pull out of the back.
    They're blowing out of the case, right? Also with automatic overclocks you get easily Vcores of 1.3-1.4V which just makes it all obvious you have high temps. Which thermal paste did you use? AS5 is crap for H80's and loads of reasons why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got home from work, going to start playing with settings now.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    They're blowing out of the case, right? Also with automatic overclocks you get easily Vcores of 1.3-1.4V which just makes it all obvious you have high temps. Which thermal paste did you use? AS5 is crap for H80's and loads of reasons why.

Yes, both exhausts are actually exhausting lol. Right now, my OC is 4.3 with 1.075v, still 50c idle. Voltage is only on auto when I have it on stock clocks.

Edit: The thermal paste is AS5, it's the only thing radio shack had. >.>

Edit2: How much do the stock fans effect temperatures? Could that be part of the issue? I don't know what I did, but temps with the OC are down to 40C xD Would buying aftermarket fans effect it a bit more?

Aaaaand Edit3: I just noticed(facedesk), the h80i is running at 27C~. So then it has to either be contact, or the paste right? I'm going to check the back plate right now.
    Last edited by Vynrael; 2013-03-25 at 09:50 PM.
    Main Rig:

10+ Year Old Account

http://ark.intel.com/products/65523

Tcase is 67.4°C. Anything below that is fine for light usage; for heavy usage, 80-85 degrees is fine.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/32881

90-100C does sound too hot though.
    Uhhhhh, what?

40c isnt hot, obviously, but with a 22c ambient and a H80i it is.

But what? 90-100c "doesnt sound too hot"? You realize CPU's overheat at those temperatures, right? 100c is boiling point (212 degrees farenheit) and 90c is 194.Its hot, even for a GPU its hot (which always have run hotter and have more tolerance for it)

Neither your CPU or GPU should ever exceed 90c in normal conditions. Nor should you let it get there ever, as it could potentially damage the hardware (it will if you run it like that constantly)

Anyway, it sounds like poor contact. I know you said you reseated it but if the fans are exhausting properly then not too much else it could be.

Just got home from work, going to start playing with settings now.

Yes, both exhausts are actually exhausting lol. Right now, my OC is 4.3 with 1.075v, still 50c idle. Voltage is only on auto when I have it on stock clocks.

Edit: The thermal paste is AS5, it's the only thing radio shack had. >.>

Edit2: How much do the stock fans effect temperatures? Could that be part of the issue? I don't know what I did, but temps with the OC are down to 40C xD Would buying aftermarket fans effect it a bit more?

Aaaaand Edit3: I just noticed(facedesk), the h80i is running at 27C~. So then it has to either be contact, or the paste right? I'm going to check the back plate right now.
    What's your Vcore during prime95? Anyways this should be it:
    AS5 is just being your problem definitely simply because it's just too thin and too tricky to apply. I've tried AS5 with my hydro cooler but it was just a major fail, I really had to reapply it like 5-6 times to get it right. I would never ever use AS5 anymore just because it's slightly conductive and especially too hard to apply.

Try to apply it exactly like this guy did -> http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/o...g?t=1284310038

You still have to deal with burn-in time with AS5. If you still get high temps, get yourself Noctua NT-H1 and you can't do anything wrong with that TIM just because it's too easy to apply, spreads better, thicker, wipes easier off and isn't conductive at all.

If the stock fans are being connected to your pump (hopefully you have default mode up in Corsair link or you don't have CL at all) they will spin faster _based_ on the _liquid temp_. So do you notice the fans spinning harder when you load the cpu? If it doesn't spin faster at all it's making sense that there is bad contact.
    Last edited by Faithh; 2013-03-25 at 10:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, everything that can be done, has been done. I guess all that's left that I can do it try a different thermal paste then. While temps under load are now 80C (1.116v). I'll poke around this week, and order some more on payday. Thanks guys.
    Main Rig:

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, everything that can be done, has been done. I guess all that's left that I can do it try a different thermal paste then. While temps under load are now 80C (1.116v). I'll poke around this week, and order some more on payday. Thanks guys.
    still seems a tad high. but more manageable than 90+.

I assume these are in prime95 and not games?

NT-H1 and nothing else :P

Deleted
    i have almost exactly the same setup as you have
    h80i, 3570k and as5. also running between 36 and 40 degree at stock speed, idle.
    when gaming i go up to 45-50.
    when I oc'd it to 4.4ghz I got to 75deg at prime95 small ffs. and also 36-40 deg at idle.

I have plugged my h80i fans to a fan controller, but i don't notice temp change as i speed up the fans. strange.