10+ Year Old Account

Minimum graphics on my computer

So, my computer is not the shiniest gaming rig out there and is a bit outdated and I needed some advice

I am a huge Bioshock fan, and like most people, I am pretty stoked for the release of Bioshock infinite

For those who have steam, they have a big pre-order sale thing where if I pre-order Bioshock infinite, I get a free copy of X-Com Enemy Unknown

The game launches in about 23 hours, so I do not have much time to place the pre-order

Because I am always wary of what my computer can handle, I put it through this online service to see if it could run, here are the results

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/Requirements/bioshock-infinite/11557?p=a

My question to you guys, is with the minimum graphics attainable, will it still be worth to get? I don't want to spend the 60 bucks and then get a game I can't enjoy without spending several hundred more on upgrades for my rig.

It seems to only thing it has below the recommended graphics is the "Pixel Shader Version" and the "Vertex Shader Version" both are at a 4.0 instead of the recommended 5.0

I have no idea what those things are, do they vastly decrease graphics if you do not have what they want?

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer

Can you give specifics about the cpu, gpu, ram and the like? Would make it more feasible to answer as the link you've provided doesn't show your info, just the basic info the game requires.

Also, greenmangaming.com is still having their pre-sale bonuses which if you don't need the TF2 hats, is a better deal. Comes out to $46 instead of $60 and allows for a choice between Civ 5, Spec Ops: The Line, Mafia 2, The Darkness 2, or Bioshock 2 ( as well as giving you Bioshock and XCOM). You thus end up paying less for an additional game sans hats.

Edit: Adding link http://www.greenmangaming.com/bundles/

10+ Year Old Account
    ok, heres the specs. The link shows my computer comparatively, but I guess its unique

Recommended: DirectX11 Compatible, AMD Radeon HD 6950 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
    You Have: GeForce 9800 GT

Features: Recommended attributes of your Video Card

Pixel Shader version Required(5.0) I have(4.0)
    Vertex Shader version (5.0) (4.0)
    Dedicated Video RAM (1024 MB) (1.0 GB)

Those are the only things that bring my computer's rating below recommended

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 01:08 AM ----------

For clarification, in each row, the 5.0 is what they recommend, and the 4.0 is what I have

The website uses an applet I believe that keeps your info stored personally.

You will be able to play the game at the lowest settings. It barely beats out the minimum suggested card (Which is probably set to lowest settings possible at 30 fps). It's not going to be pretty nor will it be at a high FPS but it will get the job done at minimum specs. IGN Has absolutely praised the game (and frankly a 9800 gt though capable is quite old now/due for an upgrade IMO). It's a toss up.

The reason you have version 4.0 is because, if memory serves correct, the 9800GT is a DX10 card not a DX11 card.

10+ Year Old Account
    All the 8xxx and 9xxx nvidia cards have DX10, and Shader 4.0.

Needless to say, 5 year old technology is gonna make Bioshock Inifinite's playability hurt. But it'll ... run...? I guess?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, I think it will just be better to save my cash for upgrades for my rig, instead of getting games I won't be able to fully ultilize

Quote Originally Posted by Carmakazie View Post
    Yea, I think it will just be better to save my cash for upgrades for my rig, instead of getting games I won't be able to fully ultilize
    If you have a decent CPU, a 7770 will most likely run Bioshock Infinite. Recommended settings given usually means high settings w/ AA at the standard resolution (1920x1080 for recent games). If you're down to play low-med, a 7770 should be enough.