Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    You know what would be entertaining?

Cross referencing all the 'but but teh pandaz r com ferm outa noware n haz no loar!' posters in these threads with all the 'playable ethereals nao plzkthx!' posters in the constant 'what playable race do you want' threads.

I have a feeling much hypocrisy would be revealed.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    I know ill be flamed for it but it is a complete rip off of a certain disney movie...right down to the way the characters look .....
    Mulan?

At least get the movie right.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac2 View Post
    What do you think - which things in wow dont belong there?

For me its:

1. MoP as a whole expansion - yes, i play MoP, but whole China-like architecture, quests, Npcs , its just feel alien seeing it in WoW, not to mention pandaren race and monks.

2. Netherstorm npcs and whole area in TBC - its like they came from the far future

3. Deathwing as a villain - just does not fit here

4. Harrison Jones - yes, good tip for him
    1. Chinese-themed characters and architecture feel more alien to you than an entire expansion literally about aliens?
    2. You take issue with the futuristic/high-tech nature of a region that harnesses magic as a sort of electricity, if you will, but you don't take issue with players flying helicopters?
    3. A DRAGON doesn't fit in with Warcraft lore?!
    4. I don't get your point with this one, but in any event, he's just an adventurer with a pop culture name. Lots of adventurers in Warcraft.

The biggest thing about things that "don't belong in WoW" is that people forget this isn't the final project of Blizzard. Warcraft 2 built on 1, 3 built on 2, and WoW built off all of them...but future expansions, Warcraft 4, etc. have to have new content to build off of too. You can't expect WoW to just assimilate everything that's ever happened in the Warcraft universe as if it's some gigantic conclusion to the Warcraft franchise, and then terminate the entire thing when you're done with WoW. Sooner or later - and that's where we're getting these days - WoW has to add characters, plot lines, and unique lore to further the entire universe.

Where you this upset about WotLK? I mean, the Viking theme was pretty blatant.

So, objectively, why would vikings belong, but asian aesthetics not?

Rogues

10char

Quote Originally Posted by Amonra View Post
    Where you this upset about WotLK? I mean, the Viking theme was pretty blatant.

So, objectively, why would vikings belong, but asian aesthetics not?
    The simplest reasoning is that a lot of WoW's lore, design aesthetic and content comes from European fantasy and historical tropes (a lot, which is not the same thing as saying "all" - I'm well aware that there are plenty of other inspirations as well). So adding *more* European references 'fits', while adding things that are entirely cross-cultural often feels jarring.

Quote Originally Posted by Rekiara View Post
    The simplest reasoning is that a lot of WoW's lore, design aesthetic and content comes from European fantasy and historical tropes (a lot, which is not the same thing as saying "all" - I'm well aware that there are plenty of other inspirations as well). So adding *more* European references 'fits', while adding things that are entirely cross-cultural often feels jarring.
    I have heard this before, and I hate this justification. You are basically saying that WoW is not allowed to grow beyond european fantasy tropes and aesthetics, because it goes out your comfort zone. And it's, to put it mildly, unbelievable. Is a whole world supposed to look "european"? is a world supposed to look the same when there's no cultural syncretism, no cultural cross-polinization?

Adding more "european references" only reinforces the unbelievability of a world. It is all right and good that the primary focus of wow was of an european inspired culture, but the rest of the world has to be different; or else it would push the willing suspension of disbelief.

If it doesn't for you, that means you are not being objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Eladia View Post
    Rather poor subjective interpretation. You selected 3 random things from different expansions and claim they have no place. To be quite honest, the only thing that wouldn't fit WoW would be soldiers with high tech guns and nuclear bombs. They integrated the Asian theme quite well into WoW. I'm not sure if this is borderline trolling.
    I agree with everything said here

Deathwing, the aspect of death doesn't belong in WoW? Wat?
    You now stand before the Countess.
    A story of Firsts from around the world:
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com/

1) How can something not "fit" into the WoW universe. It is a fantasy game...
    2) It's another planet...
    3) I thought Deathwing was a pretty cool villain.
    4) Didn't care much for him either.

Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Pandas, they had 0 significant impact on the lore before Pandailia, and now we play as them...
    I'd say Chen Stormstout helping with the founding of Durotar is pretty important...

Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Ice cream.

deathwing doesn't fit as a villain...i don't understand... he's a big evil dragon that wants to turn the world into a ball of lava....you couldn't get much more of a stereotypical villain :S

Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    I'm sorry, I keep seeing it and i need to mention...

Unless you guys are talking about Mulan, then you should be saying a DREAMWORKS movie. Kung Fu Panda was not a Disney movie.

Edit: I do not like Harrison Jones. He was fine before Uldum. Then Uldum happened, and I felt like they wasted an entire half of that zone on a pop culture reference. I was especially annoyed that they made me work for Hitler and were going to execute me by firing line, as a Jew.
    Hopefully you are trolling, as people as easily offended by a reference like this bathe the world in rage and blood.

You just haven't read enough about him it seems, did you start playing this series in Warcraft 3 or WoW by any chance?
    Deathwing makes more sense as a main villain than Illidan or Garrosh.

Imo, Illidan and Garrosh are shades of grey. Deathwing, the Lich King and Kil'jaeden are truly evil.

For me its:

1. MoP as a whole expansion - yes, i play MoP, but whole China-like architecture, quests, Npcs , its just feel alien seeing it in WoW, not to mention pandaren race and monks.

- Just to point out, The Night Elf architecture has always been very strongly Asian influenced, and Padaria has been separated for thousands of years, so saying it doesn't fit is kind of silly, thats like saying China doesn't "fit" on earth because its so different than western culture. Finally, there have been monk nps in game since Vanilla, so they also fit very well.

2. Netherstorm npcs and whole area in TBC - its like they came from the far future

-In a fantasy Universe having alien races with magic based tech thats farther ahead than Azeroths also seems fine.

- Again, DW has been firmly rooted in Warcraft lore for a looooong time. I can't think of a MORE appropriate villain.

with 4. I agree, I like Jones for maybe 1 or 2 quests in Uldum, then... wow it was overkill.

For me its:

DUDE, The Burning Crusade and Outland is a LARGE part of Warcraft lore.
    I can understand it with MoP (tho it's in the Lore), but Netherstorm... do you even know what Netherstorm is? It's like 20% of warcraft!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm gonna say....Arena.
    i agree....and fire the guy who came up with it (kalgan).

If I had to pick one thing: Guns. Vehicles would be a close second.

Not talking about a blunderbuss/simple gun, or the rare mechanical marvel (like the Alliance flying ship), but the common things like super-accurate futuristic guns and motorcycles. They're a forced fit in this fantasy world.

Lazy People, who don't want to put in any effort or learn to better themselves as a player.