Gear without spirit, worth it?

Title ^. Just wondering is it really worth it to give the ring from Iron Qon to a resto shaman instead of mage/warlock? And generally any gear without spirit.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    unless you are sitting on enough spirit to have no mana issues i would not suggest it. If you are more or less ok with mana then reforging spirit would be a better QoL imho

Quote Originally Posted by Raqu View Post
    Title ^. Just wondering is it really worth it to give the ring from Iron Qon to a resto shaman instead of mage/warlock? And generally any gear without spirit.

Thanks
    The general idea, yes, depending how much of an upgrade is. For example, I was still using the 489 cloak from dogs until last night when I was able to get the cloak of tortos with my bonus roll. Despite having no spirit, I'm still using it now cause it's overall a big upgrade. I just reforged one of the stats to spirit.

On the point of giving it to a rshaman over a dps though, I would say no. Those dps can't use the spirit version, while the shaman could use both, and might even want to use the spirit version over the non-spirit version.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raqu View Post

Thanks
    Does it have crit? In addition to it's hps benefits, crit provides us with around half the regen spirit does, on single target heals. And as we don't get much mileage out of Healing Rain / Chain Heal in this tier, crit is very valuable. Tho the min-maxer in me is sad that crit slightly devalues our 4-set.

Quote Originally Posted by themaster24 View Post
    On the point of giving it to a rshaman over a dps though, I would say no. Those dps can't use the spirit version, while the shaman could use both, and might even want to use the spirit version over the non-spirit version.
    This reminds me of back in wotlk when i got called a ninja for taking an item with no spirit on it. Back in wotlk i dont think many dps actually used spirit for hit etc, so it was spirit gear for healers, hit gear for dps and both got the items with neither stats. In my opinion this hasnt changed except more dps can use spirit to increase their hit.
    People are also constantly saying that shamans are only used to be mana batteries but I still dont agree. We are just as good as any other healer thus once we reach the point were we have enough spirit to last a fight, we shudnt need any more and thus it doesnt really matter the stats, haste, crit, mastery can all be pretty useful. I tend to run with around 11k spirit and so far this patch i havent had a single mana issue. Of course it depends on the player but once they are ending a fight with like 20, or even 10% mana left then they have probably got too much spirit and can easily replace some of that gear for better upgrades. Getting more int, crit or mastery from gear can also help you use less mana in a fight just because you are doing bigger heals, getting more mana back from resurgence etc so it really isnt a bad thing to give non spirit loot to a healer.
    Unless you are struggling on beating an enrage i would usually say its better to give a piece of loot to a healer because getting an upgrade increases the size of their heals thus meaning theirs more chance surviving from healing intense moments.
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2013-03-26 at 02:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnrir View Post
    This reminds me of back in wotlk when i got called a ninja for taking an item with no spirit on it. Back in wotlk i dont think many dps actually used spirit for hit etc, so it was spirit gear for healers, hit gear for dps and both got the items with neither stats. In my opinion this hasnt changed except more dps can use spirit to increase their hit.
    The difference between back then and now, is people dps who used spirit had their spirit converted into sp or crit. IIRC, the possible classes for this were, mage got crit w/molten armor, locks, booms, and shadows got sp. Don't remember if ele got anything as I was enh at the time. There were items better for those classes that had no spirit, but in essence, spirit items could be seen as valid upgrades.

Now there are less dps spirit is useful for (only boom, ele, and shadow). This puts it in another perspective. In this specific instance, a mage/warlock and rsham
    looking at a non-spirit cloak, the mage/lock has no alternative, whereas the rsham does, and would likely rather have the spirit alternative. As I said before, that's not to say an rsham wouldn't use a non-spirit cloak. I probably won't drop my tortos one for the spirit one, although I might take a late one for a side grade. But many rshams want to stack spirit so ya.

Quote Originally Posted by themaster24 View Post
    The difference between back then and now, is people dps who used spirit had their spirit converted into sp or crit. IIRC, the possible classes for this were, mage got crit w/molten armor, locks, booms, and shadows got sp. Don't remember if ele got anything as I was enh at the time. There were items better for those classes that had no spirit, but in essence, spirit items could be seen as valid upgrades.

Now there are less dps spirit is useful for (only boom, ele, and shadow). This puts it in another perspective. In this specific instance, a mage/warlock and rsham
    looking at a non-spirit cloak, the mage/lock has no alternative, whereas the rsham does, and would likely rather have the spirit alternative. As I said before, that's not to say an rsham wouldn't use a non-spirit cloak. I probably won't drop my tortos one for the spirit one, although I might take a late one for a side grade. But many rshams want to stack spirit so ya.
    a mage and lock has the alternative of going with a cloak with hit rating on it. A resto shaman isnt going to need that

Quote Originally Posted by mjolnrir View Post
    a mage and lock has the alternative of going with a cloak with hit rating on it. A resto shaman isnt going to need that
    IF one exists in the tier. Not always going to be the case.

Throne of Thunder Caster Cloaks: Deadly Glare Cloak (Haste/Crit) and Shimmershell Cape (Mastery/Crit)
    Throne of Thunder Healer Cloaks: Constantly Accelerating Cloak (Spirit/Haste), Deadly Glare Cloak (Haste/Crit), Drape of Booming Nights (Spirit/Crit), and Shimmershell Cape (Mastery/Crit)

And of course, the cloaks at Honoured w/ Shado-Pan Assault too (Dreamweaver Drape is Spirit/Crit for Healing, Shadowspike Cloak is Hit/Mastery for Caster).

So that is 3 DPS cloaks total, 2 of which are drops, and 6 total Healer-capable cloaks, 4 of which are drops. Definitely at this point, let the DPS have the non-Spirit drops. Bonus roll loot is for yourself, so if you get that, grats, but unless it is a minute upgrade for them and a huge one for you, I wouldn't try and argue the point much.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.