Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Green Man Gaming. Xcom, Bioshock 1, a choice of a third free game (5 to choose from) and either 14 bucks back or 15 bucks in GMG credits.
    Effff!!! Time to ask steam to match the bundle

Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Waiting for Angry Joe to review.
    lol yea, I really like reviewers like him. Anyway not to sound negative, hope the game is good. I just can't see the uniqueness inn FPS games.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

These companys told me DA2 was the best RPG of the last 10 years if not of all time. After hearing such shit I cannot listen when they redub a new "great" so I'll hold my judgement until I play the game (ie the way you should judge a game). Anyway if it is over in 7 or what ever hours like most single player games now, it will have to be some level of amazing for me to care about it. I hope its about as good as dishonered

Deleted
    I couldn't play the first one with that FoV and didn't find a way to fix it so i canned the whole franchise. I don't like playing sequels without playing the first ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneiac View Post
    Reviews mean nothing.
    Edge reviews mean everything.

(one-sentence attempts to sound cool are so wrong logically but so fun to do!)

Obviously what someone likes is a subjective, personal matter, but reviews are a helpful indication to guide players in trying out titles. So, no, reviews do not mean nothing. They mean quite a lot. Especially when they come out of such highly-esteemed sources as Edge, that don't give in to juvenille fan-service opting instead to treat videogames as an art form.

Old fashion gaming journalism is going to die very soon. Youtube and independent reviewers keep getting more and more popular. There's literally no reason to have places like IGN or Gamespot anymore.

Also lets all hope metacritic goes the fuck away. What a piece of cancer that site is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a review from someone who isn't one of those "corrupted game journalists"

Also, considering that it is pretty much completely unanimous that the game is amazing, then it has to be pretty great. Game reviewers may give a game a couple more points that it deserves, but I've never seen a game that was horrible get really good scores (discounting subjective opinions of course. I hate Minecraft, yet I understand why it's considered such a good game.).

1 more thing: Adam Sessler is probably one of the few game journalists out there that I truly believe cares about the medium, and considering the low scores he gave DmC and GoW:A (both of which he got a massive backlash from fanboys) he isn't afraid to give a popular franchise a low score.

I personally don't care for Bioshock as a series. I've tried playing a couple of them but didn't find them to be my cup of tea. That being said, I am happy that the people that enjoy the type of game have gotten a good one in Bioshock Infinite

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Old fashion gaming journalism is going to die very soon. Youtube and independent reviewers keep getting more and more popular. There's literally no reason to have places like IGN or Gamespot anymore.

Also lets all hope metacritic goes the fuck away. What a piece of cancer that site is.
    And these guys (the bigger ones) are supposed to be less "biased" or "influenced"?

They get many of the same kind of benefits as traditional journalists do (See: Total Biscuit being featured prominently in both Tribes and PlanetSide 2 for example) and need to strike a similar balance between pleasing their readers/viewers and not pissing off the publishers/developers if they want to have a good working relationship with them.

It's hard to imagine that with all of these great reviews that the game won't be good.

And I still maintain Goldeneye 64 as my #1.
    Hell. Yes. Agreed.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Deleted
    I never trust the early reviews since they're based on "first impressions" and shit. A month or so needs to pass until you can get an actually objective review from someone
    Quote Originally Posted by Okacz View Post
    Waiting for Angry Joe to review.
    Yes, this guy does good reviews. I don't agree with him on some stuff, but he provides a good insight on how the game actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    This. No doubt it will be good if its anything like its predecessors...but I find it hard to trust professional reviews anymore.
    now the fanboi of another game with an agenda and youtube channel...you can trust those guys

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been completely avoiding any spoilers and information about this game till I get it, but I have one question that will help me decide if it will be anywhere as good as the reviews say it is: Is the games exploration/progress style more like Bio 1 or more linear like Bio 2 was?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    Bunch of cynical pessimists in here...

If you preorder on steam (within the next 7 hours) you get Bioshock 1, and Xcom for free. I don't know how you can beat that.
    By preordering on GMG and getting Spec Ops for free too. For a lower price.

No matter the cynicism when it comes to gaming press nowadays, Bioshock Infinite looks like it could be one of the best games ever made. I'm not a fan of the genre, but the combination of good, solid gameplay and peerless art direction is one I'm willing to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    I have been completely avoiding any spoilers and information about this game till I get it, but I have one question that will help me decide if it will be anywhere as good as the reviews say it is: Is the games exploration/progress style more like Bio 1 or more linear like Bio 2 was?
    We'll have to wait and see. From the videos, I get the impression that they've blown the world completely open this time. Of course, videos can be made to fabricate impressions.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-03-25 at 10:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its hard not to be cynical when the thread itself is titled Bioshock infinate is the greatest single player fps ever created
    there is no give in the question
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Quote Originally Posted by -nevan View Post
    I never trust the early reviews since they're based on "first impressions" and shit. A month or so needs to pass until you can get an actually objective review from someone
    It's a 10ish hour campaign. Why do they need a month with a 10ish hour campaign to review it? They play through it and review it based on their first playthrough, just like everyone who will purchase it will judge it based on their first playthrough (except the expectation is that the reviewers will have something more informative and valuable to say than your average consumer).

I don't like early reviews, hype is never good. Justified or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    Its hard not to be cynical when the thread itself is titled Bioshock infinate is the greatest single player fps ever created
    there is no give in the question
    I think it just needed an addition bit of punctuation.

"Bioshock Infinite the greatest single player FPS ever created? Reviews are out!"
    VS
    "Bioshock Infinite: The greatest single player FPS ever created? Reviews are out!"

But that is the question - does it live up to its current 95% overall critical rating? I think the last time a FPS was rated so highly was Half Life 1/2.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    It's a 10ish hour campaign. Why do they need a month with a 10ish hour campaign to review it? They play through it and review it based on their first playthrough, just like everyone who will purchase it will judge it based on their first playthrough (except the expectation is that the reviewers will have something more informative and valuable to say than your average consumer).
    Yes and they're still affected by the experience because not enough time passed. Or they haven't finished the game enough times. It's the same with music album reviews, you have to listen to an album at least 4 times before you can even think of reviewing it.