Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    TBH I wouldnt bother upgrading that OP, just save your money and get a better system.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    A quick google search shows that a lot of people have upgraded the power supply in those. Doesn't seem to be anything Dell-centric about it.
    Lol I'm clearly bad at google searching . THanks a bunch for the help and recommendations. I guess I'll go for a 450w psu to go along with a newer card.

Actually one last question, does the 6-pin that's required for the 7850 come on the psu recommended or is that part of the mother board?

I'm looking at this PSU: http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builde...corsair+cx+430 but is it worth it for a slight upgrade from my current 350 for $50?

I'm pretty sure my CPU can handle most things but I'd say my budge for GPU + PSU is about $200.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-03-26 at 07:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Lol I'm clearly bad at google searching .
    I just looked for "dell studio xps 8000 power supply upgrade" without quotes, lots of hits.

Actually one last question, does the 6-pin that's required for the 7850 come on the psu recommended or is that part of the mother board?
    Off the power supply, but most video cards come with an adaptor so you can use one of the four pin connectors as well.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2013-03-26 at 07:51 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

So took it into a family friend's shop to get it checked out. We replaced the video card to an AMD Radeon 5000 series card and it was still idling at 65c and quickly rose up to 85c running SCII for about 5 minutes on low settings (was running on high before). I'm thinking it might not be the video card.

Shop owner said it might be mother board. Consulted some other folks who said that if it was the motherboard then the computer wouldn't even be running. I'm confused as all hell. May be the CPU is draining a bunch of power or something? The PSU is diverting lots of power to the GPU? I have no freaking idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15