Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamerfal View Post
    You do realise these hots are affected by our current mastery, however we never get the effect unless the raid drops low. With what I suggested our mastery will always have an effect as opposed to our hots being worthless until a target drops low. At least with my fix we'll have stronger hots all the time, which will mean our mastery is actually doing something. Not to mention that as i stated in my original post, it's not just Riptide and ELW, but also totem ticks and rain which would benefit.

There wouldn't be a huge effect on PvP since an increase in periodic healing would counter the loss of our current mastery.
    My apologise, I missed the Rain and Totem you mentioned. It does sound better then, continueing in the next paragraph, but that still leaves me wondering what you mean that there is a loss in our current mastery, as I can not read that anywhere. Do you want to reduce the effect of the direct heals as opposed to our current mastery? That would weaken us both in PvE and PvP when it comes to direct heals and not provide the healing when it's needed. Then it sounds more that we go in the way of a druid healer, where we will use Glyph of Riptide and spam heal the raid with riptide (I can even forsee this on 25-man) where we let other heals take care of direct healing.

But to make Healing Rain and our totems stronger, the totems stronger sounds nice, it's a smart heal and it can use some more loving (although I nearly cuddle it to death anyways), but Healing Rain itself I already find really limited, that it has to be on a spot (and with movement fights, that's everything but easy), so a buff to it with mastery? hmm, I'm not really liking the sound of that. We already received a buff on healing rain for aoe stacking and from what I've seen, it has not brought the desired effect that I think they had in mind.

Note that I am all in favour for a change in mastery, but not to the cost that we will be back to the garbage dumps in terms of pvp. Note that we still use totems, earthliving and riptide in pvp and I see no loss so far, only gains.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

Quote Originally Posted by Schadow View Post
    My apologise, I missed the Rain and Totem you mentioned. It does sound better then, continueing in the next paragraph, but that still leaves me wondering what you mean that there is a loss in our current mastery, as I can not read that anywhere. Do you want to reduce the effect of the direct heals as opposed to our current mastery? That would weaken us both in PvE and PvP when it comes to direct heals and not provide the healing when it's needed. Then it sounds more that we go in the way of a druid healer, where we will use Glyph of Riptide and spam heal the raid with riptide (I can even forsee this on 25-man) where we let other heals take care of direct healing.
    you do realize that our mastery affects 95% of all our heals now not just direct ones. HST, HTT, riptide hot, ELW, etc all benefit from it

Deleted
    Well data now shows what was really easy to see:

Resto still sucks. For 25m it's now a little better, but it stays the problem that the second half of TOT, resto shaman simply lacks the right tools to work. At least now, on some fights, resto isn't last place anymore, it's now pretty solid at stacked healing. IfResto got DS reloaded, it could be competitive. But ToT is just Firelands reloaded.

That's why 10m resto is still a big failure. The buffs had only very minor effects for 10m raiding, closing the 30% gap by what? 5%? So it's now 25% behind instead of 30%.

Yeah, great balancing!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shammypie View Post
    you do realize that our mastery affects 95% of all our heals now not just direct ones. HST, HTT, riptide hot, ELW, etc all benefit from it
    Yeah, and I read Hamerfal wrong. I should read better. He only wants our HoT portion to work with our masteryy it seems together with our totems and healing rain, not with our direct healing spells, which gives us, argueably, the most HPM and HPS, with exception of Healing Rain, which currently already benefits from Mastery.

Deleted
    which gives us, argueably, the most HPM and HPS
    How on earth did you work that out. I didn't state any numbers for how much my idea would increase periodic healing, nor how much it scaled.
    It's a random idea that I pulled off the top of my head, I wouldn't read too much into it if I was you. Also, I never stated our mastery should be buffed, i stated it should be fixed.

With my idea we could still theoretically benefit the same amount of mastery, but instead of waiting for raid damage to happen, we have it constantly. Thus making it more appealing for more fights, and removes the 'niche' of being better healers when the raid is low (which we all know, is a useless niche as it is).

Sometimes I feel as though shaman mastery prepares us to make up for our own healing deficit.

I think if our mastery got a rework it would be easier to balance us in PVE and PVP without changing the flavor of shaman healing.

I REALLY enjoy shaman play-style which is why I am still trucking despite somewhats of a HPS handicap. Priest felt like a jumble of spells, and druid hotting just wasn't fun for me. Paladin is the only healing class I would consider and even then I'm not a big fan of a races available to horde palladians.

I actually don't want a shaman full rework nor do I care about topping meters but functionally is important to me.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    How on earth did you work that out. I didn't state any numbers for how much my idea would increase periodic healing, nor how much it scaled.
    It's a random idea that I pulled off the top of my head, I wouldn't read too much into it if I was you. Also, I never stated our mastery should be buffed, i stated it should be fixed.

With my idea we could still theoretically benefit the same amount of mastery, but instead of waiting for raid damage to happen, we have it constantly. Thus making it more appealing for more fights, and removes the 'niche' of being better healers when the raid is low (which we all know, is a useless niche as it is).
    Not, I meant currently it does, not with your idea, I know your idea did not gave any numbers, and it does sound interesting making the Hots, totems and HR stronger. Didn't they do the same thing to druids mastery aswell? I am not so sure about that part, correct me if I'm wrong there.

I can't say much about the idea further, I feel it can work both ways. It can work as you described and work great, especially with our totems being smart heals, but I also feel that when item level goes higher, absorb effects become even stronger. Looking at what we would be able to provide then, I'd say it would work out better as it is as you said, it would remove the niche we currently are.

But I do not have a good feeling that this is what will make us give better hps/hpm, which is what a lot of people are doing if they do know healing class. I use healing meters personally with a big bag of salt, as it's just simply influental how well your raid is performing and how well your other healers are doing. But if something goes wrong, wiping constantly, usually what happens nowadays is that they grab the meters, as they feel safe with numbers, even though it's harder to grasp what's around.

So I think that your idea can work, yes, but I do not think this will solve more of the issue I feel currently and that is that there is too much absorb effects in the game. Because even though your mastery idea states that you want to increase certain heals, we still need the raid to be lowered in order to make our spells even work. And I feel that with more gear (which means stronger absorb spells), the less the direct healing classes (those that do not have an absorb of any kind) will bring in numbers. We will still be needed, but it will not look good in the eyes of most.

I hope you can see my side, because it sounds really confusing for me too what I just tried to tell. I do not say your idea is bad, but I feel it's too weak of a fix to be fully effective.

TL;DR: Your idea isn't bad and regarding how I worked it out, not, I meant currently it does, with the current stats.

Edit: on another note, feel free to neglect PvP at the moment when it comes to the discussion of mastery. I did some looking into it, not much, but it seems mastery is no longer the highly preferred stat of the previous season. =)

Deleted
    I do not have a good feeling that this is what will make us give better hps/hpm
    It's not meant to. Our HPS/HPM is fine.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not meant to. Our HPS/HPM is fine.
    but being lowered as our current mastery is not giving opportunity, hmm, I actually can see your suggestion working now.