Fire Mage- 10mH- Horridon

Hey all,

I was just wondering what you guys are doing for heroic Horridon in 10m. We put a night of attempts on him last night and specifically as fire I was doing ok, but much lower than normal. Interested to hear what fellow mages are doing on this fight, as well as how as a fire mage you handle the focusing dino once he spawns and targets you. I was trying a number of things but a scorch or IB worked well enough(IB only if heating up proc was there obv). However with that being said I feel like I probably could have have handled it a lot better.

I figured that I would combust/spread when all of the balcony adds go out, but am conflicted on combustion glyph vs. no combustion glyph.
    Lastly, As far as bomb choices go, I picked up frost bomb about a quarter of the way into the night as with NT i felt like I was using too many GCD's just getting it up, and weirdly enough frost bomb actually does well on this fight.

Can't post a link yet, however my character name is Belzin, on Rexxar if you would like to armory me for reference. Again, just looking for what you guys are doing/what you found most successful thus far on the heroic version of the encounter.

Thanks in advance!

Belz

Deleted
    Fire is fine this fight, you can be good, low, high or whatever on damagemeter, does not really say much about the spec. All you can really do is pray you dont get any of the first 2 dinospawns. After that your dps wont drop as much from having it up.
    Personally i either use Icelance or NT to knock the dino back, dun rly matter which one, same casttime (instant) and same knockback so its a choice of bomb preference. Like you said you like Frostbomb, use Icelance on add for easy control.
    Recomend having combustion glyph used and focus on actually getting good combustion on a long lived target and spread from there, or on boss and spread on adds that move through / near him.
    The optimal glyphs IMO for Horridon is Combustion, Armors and 3rd is a preference between FireBlast or Curse. Depending on raidsetup ofc.

Deleted
    I'm also progressing on Horridon heroic 10 man atm. Damage wise i've found taking glyph of combustion is pretty nice. What i do at the start is I don't combust on the boss but I wait for the two wastewalkers to drop then combust using alter time + pom on one of them and then just spread it and keep it going as much as possible. I found that was a dps increase overall for me rather then opening with the combustion. For the Direhorn i use this macro which I'm sure you're aware of.

/target Direhorn Spirit
    /cast nether tempest
    /targetlasttarget

Obviously replace nether tempest with ice lance if you're using a different bomb. The combustion glyph is extremely nice as at each door your combust comes off CD as the two big adds are about to drop (well a touch before but its worth waiting). I hope some of this helps, any mistakes i've made feel free to point them out .

With 516 ilvl I can get anywhere from 130k-160k dps when we hit the 4th door. Damage depends massively on how early you get the direhorn and obviously fire is totally crit dependant, Good luck!

Also out of curiosity did you notice a big jump in damage while using Frostbomb?
    Last edited by mmoc25f833329c; 2013-03-27 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks for the responses so far! Great to see that I'm doing things the same for the most part.
    Numbnutt- Yea I can see your point, I may experiment with armors/curse glyphs, but looking back at it I think I definitely want combustion/IB and then either curse or CoC glyph. I don't think IB is optional for this, bc you want to spread stuff as much as possible. Just IMO though, thanks for the input

Guan-
    Yea, that macro is pretty sweet. Also, using frost bomb was a noticeable increase for me, but I think that depends how you guys tank the adds in relevance to horridon. We try to group them up as close to him as possible(he's facing the wall on the left side fo the doors if you are looking at each door), so my frost bomb is getting decent cleave damage on him as well. Also as I mentioned before, I felt like I was spending too much time casting NT. Frost bomb imo gives you extra time to setup more combustions/alter time on each wave, simply from the time it saves you. Try it and let me know how it works out. Is anyone else finding this when using frost bomb on this fight?

Deleted
    I dont know why so many ppl like to have combustion glyphed on this fight. I found the unglyphed combustion is giving me alot higher dmg output, since the ads usually dies in less than 20 sec.

Also for the Direhorn Nether Tempest is to prefere as it can be cast in any direction and you dont have to face the dino.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    I dont know why so many ppl like to have combustion glyphed on this fight. I found the unglyphed combustion is giving me alot higher dmg output, since the ads usually dies in less than 20 sec.

Also for the Direhorn Nether Tempest is to prefere as it can be cast in any direction and you dont have to face the dino.
    I found that you can just keep the combustion going by constantly spreading it to the new adds that drop and it means i always have combustion lining up with my PoM and alter time more accurately. Tonight i'll try unglyphing and frost bomb. Will run some logs and hopefully remember to post them up later

Deleted
    Heya, downed this 2 days ago and what I was doing & worked best for me was to use NT and keep it up on boss and all the big mobs (wastewalkers,venompriests,warlords,warbears etc) and then just single target down our designated nuke targets.

The direhorn spirit was not a big problem for any of our mages on gates since we had a boss positioning so it had to pass trough the boss & the adds on it's way to me so I would simply use blizzard/flamestrike and it would hit the boss and all the adds without any kind of dps loss. I used combustion on the boss in the start due to all procs being up, I guess if you struggle with first gate dps a bit you can use it on wastewalkers but we didn't have any problems there at all, and after all even if you do more DPS by using it on adds it might not be better if you still kill them way ahead in time.

Used armor glyph, combustion and IB. Armor glyph is pretty good in last phase where dire call hits for 540k unmitigated ofcourse where that extra 10 % helps your healers out a bit. Be ready to decurse alot of fourth gate, a mouseover macro or decurse or something is pretty mandatory but isn't a big problem really once people start decursing properly.

Anyways I felt NT was alot better on this fight due to as time goes it will be stronger & stronger on boss and you can keep it up all the time. The only gate where I felt I might have wanted to use frost bomb was third since it's alot of small adds but they generally die from all the splash etc so shouldn't be a big problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    Out of curiosity mishh, are you running t14 4pc with unglyphed combustion? I could seriously get behind that, and will definitely try it tonight.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 12:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ballong View Post
    Heya, downed this 2 days ago and what I was doing & worked best for me was to use NT and keep it up on boss and all the big mobs (wastewalkers,venompriests,warlords,warbears etc) and then just single target down our designated nuke targets.

The direhorn spirit was not a big problem for any of our mages on gates since we had a boss positioning so it had to pass trough the boss & the adds on it's way to me so I would simply use blizzard/flamestrike and it would hit the boss and all the adds without any kind of dps loss. I used combustion on the boss in the start due to all procs being up, I guess if you struggle with first gate dps a bit you can use it on wastewalkers but we didn't have any problems there at all, and after all even if you do more DPS by using it on adds it might not be better if you still kill them way ahead in time.

Used armor glyph, combustion and IB. Armor glyph is pretty good in last phase where dire call hits for 540k unmitigated ofcourse where that extra 10 % helps your healers out a bit. Be ready to decurse alot of fourth gate, a mouseover macro or decurse or something is pretty mandatory but isn't a big problem really once people start decursing properly.

Anyways I felt NT was alot better on this fight due to as time goes it will be stronger & stronger on boss and you can keep it up all the time. The only gate where I felt I might have wanted to use frost bomb was third since it's alot of small adds but they generally die from all the splash etc so shouldn't be a big problem.
    Thanks for the great writeup Ballong. However from your first couple sentences I would assume you guys are 25m? Not really important, just asking. So with NT, jsut prioritize boss and big adds on each door. Got it. That would definitely cut down on what I felt like was just tab+nt lol. I will definitely try out the armor glyph sounds pretty good, especially since we are 2 healing. Furthest we got was the last door multiple times. We would get behind though and people would be tanking bears that weren't supposed to=/

Also, when are you guys timewarp/bloodlust/heroism?
    Last edited by Belzan; 2013-03-27 at 04:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belzan View Post
    Out of curiosity mishh, are you running t14 4pc with unglyphed combustion? I could seriously get behind that, and will definitely try it tonight.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 12:50 PM ----------

Thanks for the great writeup Ballong. However from your first couple sentences I would assume you guys are 25m? Not really important, just asking. So with NT, jsut prioritize boss and big adds on each door. Got it. That would definitely cut down on what I felt like was just tab+nt lol. I will definitely try out the armor glyph sounds pretty good, especially since we are 2 healing. Furthest we got was the last door multiple times. We would get behind though and people would be tanking bears that weren't supposed to=/

Also, when are you guys timewarp/bloodlust/heroism?
    Yes indeed we are 25 man. We lust as soon as War-god jumps down since you will need to burn him before you get onehit from his AoE since it increases by 50 % every time. But the last phase isn't really that big of a problem it's very straightfoward and either you have the DPS to meet the requirments or you dont. What % does your boss have once you're about to finnish of 4th gate? I think horridon was around 72-75 % ish for us which is pretty much mandatory if you wanna make the berserk.

One last important thing which we wiped to once was that we stacked to close to the boss and when the pink dino spawn (spawns inside of horridon) our healers would get instantly gibbed without time to react to it so make sure you have a couple of yards from horridon and make sure the guy who get's a charge runs out so you don't have to break up your stacking positions.

1) Use the macro. It is superious to ice lance in that you don't have to be facing a certain way. Also when the Spirit walks through the boss or adds you get the cleave from NT... every little bit helps in this fight.
    /target Direhorn Spirit
    /cast nether tempest
    /targetlasttarget

2. Use a decurse macro. The one pasted below will cast at your mouseover if you have no target and cast at your target if you have one. Just make sure you don't have a target selected when you try to cast it on your mouseover. On the 4th door the curses tend to cleave onto the melee much like the sunfires on gate 1. We had 3 melee in our raid and 3 decurses. Every decurser was assigned a melee to dispell.
    #showtooltip
    /cast [notarget,@mouseover] Decurse;Decurse

3. There is one more macro I use for this fight, and that is to interrupt the Dinomancer. Sometimes, especially on gate 3, it can be hard to find and/or target the Dinomancer. The macro below targets the dinomancer and counterspells. 1 tick of the heal is incredibly large and this macro can help prevent heals from going off.
    #showtooltip
    /target Zandalari Dinomancer
    /cast Counterspell

4. Generally the adds on door 1 are not a problem to kill, so pop all your cooldowns on the pull on the boss. Yes add damage is important, but really so is boss damage. The amount of damage the raid takes in the last phase is quite staggering so it is important to maximize dps on the boss at appropriate times. Otherwise, on doors 2-4, wait until the balcony adds drop to build a strong ignite--->combust. IF you have direhorn spirit on you, make sure you get him a good distance away before attempting to build a good ignite.

5. Use whatever bomb you would like, but this is what I found to work best for me. I play fire cleaving in 2 phases, and alternate between the two.
    A. Spread Pyroblast dot/combust
    B. Put NT on every mob

Belzan, when we were still learning the fight we used to lust on gate 4, which is a valid strat, you just end up in the last phase longer. Generally though I think people pop lust when the War-God spawns. Something that I didn't notice though was if you spread a combust from horridon to the War-God in the last phase, does it get reduced from the War-God not having a 200% damage debuff? If it doesn't get reduced that would be awesome.

At the end of the day the boss comes down to a couple things.
    1) Interrupting adds that can be interrupted.
    2) Dispelling debuffs asap
    3) Not letting pink dino touch you.

If you want a log for reference, here one from this week.
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r.../?s=856&e=1523

Nothing too great, I got the spirit on the second dire call and started to make errors on doors 3 and 4 cause my spirit was closing in. It can be challenging to build a good ignite when you don't always have a lot of time to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ballong View Post
    What % does your boss have once you're about to finnish of 4th gate? I think horridon was around 72-75 % ish for us which is pretty much mandatory if you wanna make the berserk.
    We were pretty much in the same range. I'm confident our dps is there for the last phase, but we are having trouble with gate 4 atm. I think we'll down him tonight.

Dementor- Wow great stuff man. Really appreciate the tips, as I'm sure everyone does. As far as spreading combust from Horridon to War-God, I think I read somewhere that it does not get reduced, however I am no way shape or form 100% on that. Someone else should confirm this, as we haven't gotten to the last phase so I am unable to confirm unless I find a link to it somewhere. I feel like it'll be much like normal for us in regards to getting him to that phase='s a kill. Your #4 point is spot on. I definitely felt the pressure with the dino to build a strong ignite into combust. Unless I had a good streak I felt like my combusts were weak. Will try to mitigate that by putting more distance on the dino prior to building ignite+spread.

While we were learning last night we lusted on gate 3 to deal with the mortal striking adds quicker. I feel like we should be lusting on the last phase thoough to kill the war-god faster and have that extra time on boss. Hopefully that will be worked out tonight.
    Last edited by Belzan; 2013-03-27 at 06:39 PM.

Use Combustion with glyph and cast it on every door, when the 2nd and 3rd big adds come, and then spread it to other mobs/dinomancer/boss if you can.

Use the direhorn spirit/nether tempest macro and as dementor said, get more space from the dino before going for combustion.

Use lust when War God spawn and spawn the huge combustion from the boss to him.

Pre-iceblock the dire call when War God is up, that helps the healers a lot.

If you want more help with decurse, you can get an addon called Clique and bind decurse with shift + click.

Got rank #1 this week that way, Steelzete from US-Azralon

Cant link URL here, dont have enough posts.

If you find your healers are struggling with the last phase you can probably afford to shift some damage towards the boss during some of the doors just be very careful not to ignore adds if they start to build up. I was doing a bit of that on our kill and we entered the war god phase with the boss around 50% helped out a lot even though it probably hurt my combustions a good bit.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2013-03-27 at 09:26 PM.

@Belzan
    We had our melee on the mortal strike adds as to avoid taking damage from the frozen orb. They really don't have much health, you just can't have them beating on you and stacking the debuff. I generally used mirror images if I had one on me and quick nuke it down. Actually now that I think about it, I don't even know if Mirror Images worked since they don't have an aggro table. For our raid, the most important thing was not to kite too much to door 4. Door 4 will be more chaotic if you have frozen orbs there + totems.

@Steeljp
    Thanks for confirming the combustion off the boss. Next week should be much more awesome for me

Deleted
    So heres a reference to how i play it:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/vllycrl0499mqjco/sum/damageDone/?s=367&e=969

Please share a reference to how you were doing, would like to see.
    Last edited by mmoc37ecf9de1f; 2013-03-27 at 10:28 PM.

I will share tonight's parses=) Great job everyone with the feedback.