Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post

Don't get mad at my Paint skillz, m'kay?

On a slightly more serious note, for smaller servers, without pretty good dps you will have trouble beating the 'soft enrage' of Piercing Roar hitting like a truck and one shotting everyone. Without awesome coordination (low end servers generally won't have that), it's going to be really, really hard.
    Tank that turd!

What server is the OP from? I need a low pop for farming and the like ;p

Hey guys just wanted to duck back in and say we managed to down him this Saturday after 5-6 pulls. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement!

Our keys to the fight:

1. Coordinating cooldowns on the tank to survive Frill Blast. There's some really bad information out there about how the MT is supposed to run out of Blast or something- no he just has to take it.

2. Screw the tank switch. Mark a spot for the tank to stand, and just have him tank until he dies. Next tank then quickly moves to the mark.

3. Mark an area for the tank healers to stand. We did this because the healers have to stand close, almost in melee range, in order to heal the tank, which resulted in derpy melee blowing up the tank heals while trying to find a spot to stand. We set a raid marker to designate an area for tank heals and told everyone else to stay the hell away.

Final notes: you really don't need that many players, and this is definitely one of the few cases in WoW where more isn't better. The more DPS you have, the more you'll have idiots chaining the bad. Around 30 LFR-geared players should be plenty (3 tanks, 6 heals, rest DPS). In summary, if we can do it (third least-populated server, Hakkar-US, 3 total raiding guilds, most progressed guild 3/12) so can you! Good luck!
    Last edited by Yoojine; 2013-04-09 at 09:34 PM. Reason: words are hard

We did him with 10 people last week. He's really not hard after the nerfs.

The only issue I really see with him (I'm a tank) is Frill Blast. I tanked him the entire fight as a warrior tank. All I would do is make sure I had 60 rage + before each frill blast then shield barrier a second before he does it. It absorbed an absolute crapton of it.

The key to this IMHO is really just keeping your tanks up, and having the spares BEHIND the boss if the first goes down to Frill Blast or something. Keep those tanks healed and you win. If a few DPS die here or there they can GY run.

Nothing is worse than letting the tank go down, then having Oon start chomping on people and then Frill Blast the entire raid.

I don't see how a tank can survive Frill Blast/roar after 5+ stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    He doesn't need to? Just let him die. And the stacks won't affect how much damage he takes from frill blast since it's magic damage.

rotating cooldowns should be enough.

I don't know about the other tanks, but as a warrior my shield barrier with high vengeance (which I get for the fight) + other CD let me survive through 7 stacked frill blast. (I think until 9 before we killed the boss)

Its actually better to have less people... I'd say as a tank. Lagging on personal CD/externals can lead to a death :/

Quote Originally Posted by Yoojine View Post
    He doesn't need to? Just let him die. And the stacks won't affect how much damage he takes from frill blast since it's magic damage.
    It increases all damage. but yea, you could keep rotating tanks (after they die) and it wont be too bad.

We do him every week with our normal 25 man group. Sometimes we take alts or friend ranks. 1-2 tanked, at his spawn spot.

Icy Veins implies that frill blast roots oondasta, so it seems you have enough time to run through him if you're tanking him as close to the center of his hitbox without turning him.

if someone could confirm that would be great

"Both tanks will have to promptly avoid the casts of Frill Blast that Oondasta makes use of. The frontal cone is very wide (60 yards), so caution is advised."

http://www.icy-veins.com/oondasta-detailed-strategy-wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Brewmaster + Guard = all g

If he turned while casting this ability only while a tank had aggro, then that would be something that's never been seen in wow before. He's never spun around while casting it when the fight breaks down and most of the raid is dead, I can avoid it reliably until he turns and hits me in the face with a melee attack.

Seems to me that it is avoidable as Icy Veins says, but nobody has ever cared to make a detailed guide video on this boss because it's a world boss and not part of throne of thunder, so it's just popular belief that you have to soak it with cooldowns.

Deleted
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqFeiuNZJo4&hd=1 boring fight with all the nerf, we did it wiith 11-12 people because we play on an empty server.

If you want to do it the legit way just to say you did it, that's one thing. Otherwise download OQueue and get an easy kill by joining a cross realm group. I do this easy about 10 minutes after weekly reset on a regular basis.

I solo-tank Oondasta as a DK on a weekly basis. You just need to glyph IBF and spec into AMZ. Then your rotation for the Frill Blasts is:

AMS
    IBF
    AMS
    AMZ
    AMS
    IBF
    AMS

At this point he should be dead. If not, you'll need a healer or other CD for the 7th frill blast, then resume the rotation from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by spizzbool View Post
    If he turned while casting this ability only while a tank had aggro, then that would be something that's never been seen in wow before. He's never spun around while casting it when the fight breaks down and most of the raid is dead, I can avoid it reliably until he turns and hits me in the face with a melee attack.

Seems to me that it is avoidable as Icy Veins says, but nobody has ever cared to make a detailed guide video on this boss because it's a world boss and not part of throne of thunder, so it's just popular belief that you have to soak it with cooldowns.
    I would swear I've had him turn on me while casting. Maybe I moved too early or something but it's definitely dicey.