Poll: Which one do you choose:

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    If you try to DDoS a game server, most times an automatic system will step in to stop it, or a network admin will. Unless you've got a large network for yourself, even an amplification attack won't be enough (considering the speed of home connections) to bring down a server.
    Botnets for the sake of DDoS cost less than a cheap lunch to rent. The more you pay, the more powerful it'll get. It most certainly isn't enough to bring down a Blizzard Server, but most definitly strong enough to bring down a guild's VT/TS server or something around that size.

It's terribly childish and very lame, especially when it hurts a lot of people who didn't do anything wrong in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol at you people "it depends on the target", ha, you dont like something so you want it to get attacked, but the things you like you don't want to see hit. DDOS is an attack on someone's free speech, on someone's business, on someone's freedom; it's wrong no matter what the target.

Oh and as for the "stand in the door" comparison, standing in the door of a business is retarded too.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Its illegal, neither childish nor fair.

Besides that, what Korgoth said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by enhancedmg;20657109[B
    ]If you had a sensitive subject in life, something that bothered you to death when people bring it up, or just an annoying kid/adult bugging the fuck out of you, and you could ddos them to get rid of them, would you?[/B] Sidenote, lets say you don't get caught, no one knows who you are, or whats going on.

also, dont give me the "ignore him or dont answer" cause i know very well there's always that person who you'd like to get rid of. And no not killing them, but making them disappear from life.

there is that note, "it's illegal, and it's downright unfair, cause it shuts down their internet they pay for" but, if they weren't being dicks over the internet they wouldn't have to worry about am i correct?
    No, I just wouldn't pay any attention to them. Saying that ignoring them won't work is nonesense, unless you're a hothead that thinks he needs to respond to everything. It's not that hard.

Also, not getting caught doesn't make things fair.

This poll is completely pointless, DDoSing someone is illegal. If you are doing it, then you are breaking the law and creating inconvenience to everyone related other than the person/people targeted. Breaking law is never justified beyond specific extreme situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it is feasible to do it to people that scam on the internet, e.g. keyloggers in China, etc., then I wouldn't have too many issues with it.

Denying companies you don't like, people that have pissed you off, or for the benefit of gaining advantage in a game, is a different matter, and I can't see any justification in that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enhancedmg View Post
    also, dont give me the "ignore him or dont answer" cause i know very well there's always that person who you'd like to get rid of. And no not killing them, but making them disappear from life.
    No one on the internet has the power to annoy me to that level. I can ignore text fairly easily. Even if, for example, someone reports me and I get an infraction leading to a ban on this site, it wouldn't bother me since I don't revolve my life around a forum. Even if I did, it's relatively easy to make a new account in a few minutes and IP bans wouldn't stop me since I operate through proxies and spoof my MAC. There is nothing anyone on the internet can do to effect my life unless they could somehow get past my network's security measures, which I highly doubt is in the capacity of the average user I encounter out here.

It mostly boils down to childish people who have no capacity to let frivolous things go and instead lash out in any way they can. Even if it leads to people who weren't even the cause of their ire to suffer. How very selfish, imo. Just on this forum alone, I've spoken to quite a few ridiculously stupid people, and when it becomes apparent they have no debating skills and are just resorting to logical fallacies to prove their point, I walk (browse?) away. Too simple.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2013-03-29 at 12:26 AM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Depends on context.

It's a shitty thing to do but sometimes, and this is really, really small, sometime it's justice. But if you're doing it just because someone made you mad in a video game, you're a fag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I think I would save michal jordan's life. That guy was just such a great singer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't pay for food for anyone I'm not sleeping with and you shouldn't either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Break The Ice View Post
    I think this all depends on who the target is.
    This. Is it DDoSing someone who beat you in Call of Duty? Or is it some scumbag who committed a crime? Is it when that entire town defended the football team that raped that girl?

It's a vigilante move but that doesn't mean it's never justified.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Childish or fair?! More like illegal.
    this a hundred times.

15+ Year Old Account
    People keep saying illegal, is there actually a law against DDoSing? I'm curious cause I don't know.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Lol, how would ddosing ever be fair? Imo, people aren't taking it serious enough.

Deleted

Yeah.... No.

What would ever make it fair.... Sure; I'd retaliate against someone who thinks he's smart enough to DDoS me - he just doesn't know what he's up against. But it would never make it fair. DDoS is a serious - yet a very misunderstood - insult on someone's private life.

Thing is; so many europeans (yes, I am european myself) think that a DDoS attack can be done by the average "Joe" from his/hers personal computer with little knowledge. You're wrong. I'm met with "ZOMG. NICE DDoS, MAN!" etc. every single day multiple times in arena or RBG. It's such an easy excuse when you actually failed yourself.... It's outrageous, to say the least.

Quit the QQ already.

1. If you disconnect during an arena game against someone who you might think made you "time out" - Shut up and don't blame him/her. Your ISP/router sucks. Stop the QQ.

2. A lot of people playing (READ: mainly regarding US players) have a connection inside a "closed" network which is fairly protected. Again; The average "Joe" would never get past the router's firewall. Sure, you'd get through an open port but this average "Joe" has no clue how to do that. Stop the QQ.

3. It's the worst excuse ever. If you get DDoS'ed; it's basically your own fault. You've either insulted someone or you're full of ****. Stop the QQ. Someone's smarter than you.

4. Stop Skyping with people you don't know who are. And stop clicking random links in chat on Twitch.tv/whatever. It's quite simple. Logging someone's IP isn't illegal and it's easier than saying "boo" out loud.

If it happens that one might "PuG" or simply be aware of the fact that they have done something that they shouldn't have. You can basically be assigned a new IP address over-night (bit(DOT)ly/xQZqid)....

To stay on topic; No.. It can never - and never will be - fair to DDoS someone. But quit the f'ing QQ. 99% of the people who claim to have been DDoS'ed were NOT. The european realms (Read: especially Outland - yeah, I play there myself) have gotten such a bad reputation based on ignorant people who have no clue what they're talking about. You know.... Your own worst enemy is yourself! :-)

Good night!