Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    There's a world of difference between wipes and wipes. Sometimes you wipe a lot during progress because you have baddies doing shit in your team, or your leadership is bad. That is wiping by incompetence. Pushing it like you're hitting your head against a wall is to be try hard. It's annoying and dumb.
    Them there's the tons of wipe that happen when you have an amazing guild with an amazing rooster that face a really hard encounter during progress, an encounter which you're undergeared for. This is what i call cutting-edge wipe, or necessary wipe. It's neither annoying or dumb, but it's for those who get motivated by playing with this level of players against this level of challenge.

OP, i couldn't agree more with you: wiping like that is boring and dumb. Maybe you should consider restructuring your guild or moving to a better one. Note that not all good guilds, those that clear content, go for high schedules and lots of wipes. Some take the low schedule path, and end up facing hard encounters being way better geared, and with way more knowledge around that encounter. Maybe a low schedule high competence guild is for you.

TL;DR: Sticking in a try-hard guild, that raids and wipe a lot while disregarding so many things that are wrong in the team, is dumb and should be avoided.

I enjoy farm night more than I enjoy fruitless progression, where we wipe to the same mechanic or at the same section over and over and over. I get really grumpy when we extend lockouts for multiple weeks to work on a hard boss, especially when I don't feel particularly comfortable with the last boss we killed.

However I adore those nights when we push past an obstacle and kill that guy we couldn't get last week. If you don't feel a wealth of affection for the teammates who helped you get through this obstacle when that happens, you're dead inside and you need to stop raiding with that group. One of the most fun things you can do with your clothes on.

Sounds like you're burned out.

Progression is fun, I like learning and understanding new boss mechanics.
    And with every wipe I do better and better.
    Up untill you perform your role flawlessly, you got this fight mastered and it's smooth sailing now.

..except there are 9/24 other people as well and some people take sooooo long to finaly understand what they're meant to be doing.
    And that does bother me.
    Waiting for the slow people to catch up so we can move on to the next boss.
    And sometimes it feels like it's taking forever for 1 or 2 people to wrap their heads around something you got down 20 wipes ago.

That burns me out, especialy if it's something I find to be rather simple, it feels like I spend hours and hours of my time waiting for these people.
    Then I'd rather just do simple raids for gear.

Yes but don't tell your guildies
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

You're wondering if there are people who continue to do something they don't enjoy for digital pixels and "ranking" (not sure if you mean guild ranking, or dps/heal ranking)?

I'm going to guess that there are probably very few people who would put significant time into doing something they don't enjoy for artificial rewards.

Sounds like the first inbred of the new generation or Wow players, as a direct result of everything getting too easy.

Agree with some other ppl here that the first kill and the feeling of achivment is the best reward.

Why wouldn't you want to be a part of the 1st kill and the fact that you ranked so high is what pushed your guilds raid to get the boss down? Otherwise, you play just to see your name on some board regardless of whether you are actually contributing to the guild or not? I bet you are the type that stands in poo and makes the healers heal you like your a third tank just to not deviate from your rotation. IMO as a raid leader, I'd rather bring someone doing median dps who has increased awareness, but more importantly, wants to be a part of the guild progress and be that top performer who pushes us to a kill. You are describing what basically sounds like a mercenary dps that never really has a home in this game, a trend that seems to be increasing.

Deleted
    I'm the opposite of you there, i find the progression bosses to be way more entertaining then a boss thats been put on farm by the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    I enjoy farm night more than I enjoy fruitless progression, where we wipe to the same mechanic or at the same section over and over and over. I get really grumpy when we extend lockouts for multiple weeks to work on a hard boss, especially when I don't feel particularly comfortable with the last boss we killed.

However I adore those nights when we push past an obstacle and kill that guy we couldn't get last week. If you don't feel a wealth of affection for the teammates who helped you get through this obstacle when that happens, you're dead inside and you need to stop raiding with that group. One of the most fun things you can do with your clothes on.
    You make raiding sound like you're achieving something meaningful. I'd say if you want to have all that stuff, you're better off focusing your energies into something that makes a difference.

Deleted
    I enjoy both aspects. Progression is fresh and exciting, but the ONLY thing that keeps me actually want to log in and raid during farm content is competing on ranks.

A lot of people in this thread seem to regard ranking as a bad thing. I am one of those players that are heavily driven by competition. Both with myself, but also other players of the same class. It's fun and it pushes you to always improve and try to do better. WoL provides an opportunity to test yourself against the best of the best in the game, and getting #1 ranks can be quite satisfying.

Im suprised how quick people are to talk shit about people who enjoy something else than they do.

As one of the consistently #1 ranking spriests in 10man, and previous constant #1 ranking ret in 25 man feel free to talk shit to me, but you better have the guild progress and ranks to back it up. My parsings can be found in my signature.
    Last edited by mmoc9e8e7fdb19; 2013-03-29 at 04:10 PM.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I love wiping actually. It is one of the main drivers that made me raid hardcore back in Vanilla up until mid WotLK. The current LFR mentality is that you join a raid to earn gear and see the boss die. You do not join for some sort of progression with wiping. When a LFR raid wipes one time, rest assured 10 people would leave immediately saying it is the worst raid ever.

I can't decide whether OP is a troll or an example of all that is wrong with the community. Personally I'd rather be a part of a team that accomplishes something than get carried for gear and then pad dps meters so I can get off to my ranking on WoL.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    I can't decide whether OP is a troll or an example of all that is wrong with the community. Personally I'd rather be a part of a team that accomplishes something than get carried for gear and then pad dps meters so I can get off to my ranking on WoL.
    its a troll thread. op just wants to come in when its on farm but not for the progression part. I dont see how thats cool with anyone but to each their own. If youre not there for the progression youre basically there to soak up gear and to get carried. :\

Deleted
    I like wiping.

I like loot.

I like ranking.

I like it all.

Deleted
    Gimme those purple pixled items.

I enjoy figuring out how to kill bosses. Creating an easy and manageable strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by studkaw View Post
    Careful with that word. Think some (I for one) object.
    So you would be fine wiping on a boss never to see them die? That's cool I guess but I don't think I know anyone that would find the fun in that.

Personally I'm fine with wiping on a boss over and over as long as there is some form of improvement being had.

Getting gear/rankings is great, but I want to EARN it. I enjoy progression raiding. Wiping over and over again can suck yeah but nothing beats that first progression kill after countless wipes.

What makes the gear special is the effort you put into getting it. If it's just handed to you, it feels cheap. WoW is a game after all, I want to have fun but I want to be challenged and stimulated as well. If I can just log in and get gear without any effort, WTF am I paying $15/month for?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    So you would be fine wiping on a boss never to see them die? That's cool I guess but I don't think I know anyone that would find the fun in that.

Personally I'm fine with wiping on a boss over and over as long as there is some form of improvement being had.
    Actually yes I would not mind. (if the reason is due to hard mechanics/high numbers and not people sabotaging). I liked it more when there were raids just a few people managed to complete, that made the game feel so epic. And just doing attempts do kill those bosses was so much more fun than semiafking a zergingraid for purples.

I love gearing up to be able to pull ranking numbers. I love progression but I absolutely hate people derp wiping on the easiest mechanics time and time again. Sitting on 50+ wipes on normal Durumu because people can't seem to get through the Eye Sore maze still.