Unreal Engine 4 Tech Demo - Infiltrator

So at GDC 2013, the following video was unveiled by the Unreal guys:

Now, it's fantastic and running real time and all that jazz... However, is it just me, or is anyone else tired of seeing these baseless tech demos, when we still haven't even seen a single game on par with the Unreal 3 Engine "Samaritan" demo?

I'm just hoping that when E3 rolls around, we'll eventually see some actual games in production, with those kind of visuals actually put to use, finally.

The new showcase is called Infiltrator, running on a PC utilising a Core i7 CPU matched with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 and 16GB of DDR3 RAM. It's obviously impressive stuff, but the fact is that a Core i7/GTX 680 combo has a clear horsepower advantage over the mooted specs for the next generation consoles. The question is to what extent these demos and this technology can scale across to those platforms.
    - Sited from Eurogamer
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2013-03-31 at 01:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer games focus less on graphics and more on gameplay, honestly. It honestly feels like I play indie games for actual gameplay and only play AAA titles when I want a spectacle.

I wonder if UE4 will get used for movies, though. That's some impressive detail for real-time.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    For the most part companies will never make games that look as good as the tech demos do. If they were to release a game that looked as good as the Unreal 4 demo they would just be limiting their market.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    For the most part companies will never make games that look as good as the tech demos do. If they were to release a game that looked as good as the Unreal 4 demo they would just be limiting their market.
    True. Perhaps with the upcoming next-gen consoles, we'll see better options on PC as well. So far, it's limited to games like Crysis.

Also, don't forget that these are simply scripted events. There's no gameplay taking place. It's less taxing on the system, and less complicated to create than an interactive level/game. While physics and particles will be dynamic, theres no AI and no user input for the game to process and respond to.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    True. Perhaps with the upcoming next-gen consoles, we'll see better options on PC as well. So far, it's limited to games like Crysis.

Also, don't forget that these are simply scripted events. There's no gameplay taking place. It's less taxing on the system, and less complicated to create than an interactive level/game. While physics and particles will be dynamic, theres no AI and no user input for the game to process and respond to.
    Last I heard, Metro 2033 was still the go-to game if you want to make a bleeding edge system cry. I was honestly really surprised to upgrade from an E4300+4870 system to an FX-6300+7700GHz system and not be able to dramatically increase settings without falling below ~40 fps.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Also they can optimise the crap out of it since they know exactly where the camera is gonna be pointing and when. Does look good though.

I remember some of the PS3 techdemos...
    Ps3 games that actually looked like that:
    none.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    none.
    Yeah, that's basically my problem with it. The Samaritan tech demo came out in mid 2011 and so far, I see literally no games on the horizion with a factual level of visual fidelity on par with that tech demo.

Aside; updated the initial post with details of the system the Infiltrator tech demo is running on.

10+ Year Old Account
    They keep releasing these tech demos but I don't even see current PC games looking this good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    none.
    Exactly. I also remember Sony saying something along the lines that all PS3 games would "run at 1080p @ 60 FPS". We all know how that turned out.
    Last edited by Lancer; 2013-03-31 at 02:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a game TB looked at during PAX running UR 4

Deleted

This is activisions new realtime render. Looks to me like theres high res bump/displace, subsurface scattered light and really good quality specular map. When i render something similar with Vray a frame is at least 30seconds. Dont know how they do it tbh.