Is it always a bad idea to overclock laptops?

I bought a laptop with an amd a8 4500m apu, and its non turbo boosted clock speed is 1.9ghz. Would it be safe to clock it to 2.2 if i bought a laptop cooling pad?

CPUs of the same design but different speed are actually cut from the same VLSI manufacturing process (often from the same batch). Each chip is then tested and marketed at the highest speed that it preforms reliably. SO your 1.9 GHz and 2.2 GHz chip are made by the same process are often cut from the same piece of silicon.

Over-clocking is generally a bad idea regardless of cooling. If the chip could work reliably at the higher speed, it would have been rated at that speed.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Deleted
    i'd say its a baaaad idea, how on earth are you gonna cool it? :P

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/t363761.html

these people say its possible with the llano chips. Idk i was just wondering.

I was going to cool it with something like this

Deleted
    cooling pad won't take away the heat directly near the chip. (might lower temp of air intake but thats it)
    laptop overclocking isn't worth it too little gain and still performs the same pretty much. (tried with my gpu in my ux32vd aswell)

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkose View Post
    I was going to cool it with something like this
    Getting a laptop cooler is like buying case fans or getting a nicer case. It will help a bit, particularly for sustained temperatures but heatsink efficacy is most important. Unfortunately, laptops have poor heatsinks so your laptop is probably already operating at its thermal limit.