Poll: Excited for smart glasses?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Actually in most public places there is no reasonable expectation of privacy so quite a few of those laws will not apply. It's not illegal to record someone in a public venue, it's illegal to publish videos or pictures of them for pay without first obtaining a release. I can record as much video as I want of a park and put it up on youtube and never have to get a single person's permission first. But if I try to sell said footage to a commercial company then I do.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

People complaining about "there are a bunch of laws when it comes to recording" are forgetting that every other person you meet in a city has a smartphone in their pocket capable of recording. I can see that this is different since people will be able to do it more discretely, but you can essentially do that stuff now with a smartphone and a bit of secrecy.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    People complaining about "there are a bunch of laws when it comes to recording" are forgetting that every other person you meet in a city has a smartphone in their pocket capable of recording. I can see that this is different since people will be able to do it more discretely, but you can essentially do that stuff now with a smartphone and a bit of secrecy.
    Or for 20 dollars you could just go on the internet and get a camcorder that is concealed in a fully functional cigarette lighter and capable of recording over 2 hours of video. Voyeurs gonna voyeur,

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Just like how when they first combined the cell phone with the camera, they were banned everywhere, and now people whip them out everywhere without thinking about it, you just don't point the lens on the phone at people, that way they know you aren't filming them. We've developed etiquette. We're cooperative creatures by nature.

So let's just say you have to tap the side of the glasses to take a picture, then you do the reverse phantom of the opera and keep your hand below the level of your eyes while you're in a situation where privacy is important.

Either way, you can see somebodies camera phone, you can see somebodies google glass, the voyeurs are always one step ahead of the general public. You can hide a camera in a cigarette lighter, hell even the cap of one of those crappy bic pens. Those are the people you have to worry about.
    It is a lot more obvious if somebody is recording with a camera or a mobile phone. You (talking generally) could start it recording, and then walk around and nobody be any the wiser. I think it would end up with people moving away from you if they saw you wearing the glasses, kind of the same effect as if you were walking around smelling of sulphur dioxide or just asking you to take the glasses off.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Or for 20 dollars you could just go on the internet and get a camcorder that is concealed in a fully functional cigarette lighter and capable of recording over 2 hours of video. Voyeurs gonna voyeur,
    Yea really. These perverts are already being perverts, google glasses isn't going to be their stepping stone into perverthood.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh, I make do with my Sarif Industries eyeball prosthetics.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It is a lot more obvious if somebody is recording with a camera or a mobile phone. You (talking generally) could start it recording, and then walk around and nobody be any the wiser. I think it would end up with people moving away from you if they saw you wearing the glasses, kind of the same effect as if you were walking around smelling of sulphur dioxide or just asking you to take the glasses off.
    The video explains (or the one in the DM link, forgot which) that when you start recording, it'll start blinking. Technically I'm sure people will be able to hack around that if they really wanted to, but most people aren't going to. So if you see the light blinking you'll know that the guy's recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    And somebody might one day be jerking it to a candid video of me trying to decide which cantaloupe to buy at a grocery store. Even before the camera phone revolution, when a camcorder costed thousands of dollars and weighed 40 pounds, there were a few simple rules that safeguarded people against voyeurs that still hold true today:

-Don't get naked in front of open windows.
    -Don't have sex in public.
    -Wear clean underwear.
    -Maintain and defend your personal space bubble.
    -Don't record YOURSELF doing anything you wouldn't want your mother to see.

EDIT:
    Yea really. These perverts are already being perverts, google glasses isn't going to be their stepping stone into perverthood.
    Like I've pointed out, because the technology they desire is single function it's already ages ahead of any candid recording technology google has to offer. If somebody is out to take a picture up your skirt, they already have something for that purpose.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't care for them at all, complete waste of money.

If they make em prescription capable I absolutely will be excited for them. Glasses that can interpret languages for me on the fly? Yes please. Real time gps navigating me when I'm trying to find an underwear vending machine in Tokyo? Absolutely. Smartphones are the new "I don't know where the fuck I'm going" indicators ---- makes you look like a total tourist.

Might be interested for them, but going to wait to see what other functions are available.
    We have felled demon commanders, cowed the master of death, conquered Old Gods, and stopped the Aspect of Death from destroying the very planet. Now, we need to kill this dude who managed to enslave pudding eating panda's, slobbering sauroks, and hilariously inept hozen. Awesome. Really epic.

Deleted
    If the release name is not "Scouters" and if we don't get a single eye design with different colour glasses I'll be highly dissapointed.
    Last edited by mmocf1858d9362; 2013-03-30 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    If they make em prescription capable I absolutely will be excited for them. Glasses that can interpret languages for me on the fly? Yes please. Real time gps navigating me when I'm trying to find an underwear vending machine in Tokyo? Absolutely. Smartphones are the new "I don't know where the fuck I'm going" indicators ---- makes you look like a total tourist.
    To be honest, these glasses have convinced me to finally get the lasik surgery for some better vision so I won't have to bother with real glasses anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnasnimadan View Post
    If the release name is not "Scouters" and we won't get a single eye design with different colour glasses I'll be highly dissapointed.
    They should call it the "Google Espion" just to see all the so called 'privacy experts' squirm.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, these glasses have convinced me to finally get the lasik surgery for some better vision so I won't have to bother with real glasses anymore.
    was just about to say that too :P getting it this summer, I hate wearing glasses so i would much prefer having something i can touch and hold..how do you even use the applications of glasses, do you have to speak out loud? >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Not particularly excited. Yes, smart tech - but even though I'm a massive nerd, I don't want to be physically attached to an electronic device all the time. At least I can put my phone in my pocket.

Aside from that, the problems these might cause when walking/driving seem not worth it.

How ridiculously unnecessary and irrelevant isn't this supposed innovation? You have those features in a phone anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    was just about to say that too :P getting it this summer, I hate wearing glasses so i would much prefer having something i can touch and hold..how do you even use the applications of glasses, do you have to speak out loud? >.<
    Watch the vid, the guy is using some of the applications. You tell it what to do and you can ask it questions like Siri.

Price is a concern, and I find the look questionable. But I'll wait and see, if it catches on at least I won't feel odd for wearing a pair of them.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Also back to the "privacy concerns" hogwash;
    http://www.lucidscience.com/pro-lase...0device-1.aspx

Somebody with only a few dollars and a minimal understanding of electrical engineering could easily already be listening in on your house from a mile away. I mean they could conceal a tiny prism on the back of a pinhole camera that looks like a fleck of mud and stick it to any window on your house, and then they have eyes and ears on that room from miles away until you wipe it off with a squeegee.

If somebody is going to spy on you, they probably already are, because there is far better technology, available for far cheaper, that is far less conspicuous.

Essentially if you are using google glass to spy on someone, you fail at spying.