Thread: 3d printed guns

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    If the reciever won't easily break why would the others?
    The lower receiver is under very little pressure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

If the reciever won't easily break why would the others?
    Because the lower receiver itself doesn't have any moving parts or very much in the way of short term wear. Not compared to the upper receiver etc. Not enough wear that it will break apart a hard plastic shell, unlike the wear other components face even under light use. Either way, the point here is that it's impractical and dangerous to 3d print and entire gun out of plastic.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Its a non moving part.
    It's also the most important part to the function of the firearm and takes a bit of stress itself.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    It was never about most of the components.
    Oh?

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    My work is done, was gonna post this before I even read the thread lol. 3d printed versions of most of those components would completely fail within a couple shots.
    Looks like it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because the lower receiver itself doesn't have any moving parts or very much in the way of short term wear. Not compared to the upper receiver etc. Not enough wear that it will break apart a hard plastic shell, unlike the wear other components face even under light use. Either way, the point here is that it's impractical and dangerous to 3d print and entire gun out of plastic.
    Yeah it takes less stress but what's stopping them from using sturdier materials for the other parts?

Yeah it takes less stress but what's stopping them from using sturdier materials for the other parts?
    The technology to create them is incredibly expensive and difficult to obtain? Pretty sure the only people who have successfully "3d printed" in any form of sturdy metal work was NASA.

Hard plastics will melt/splinter/shatter/crack under the stress. A plastic upper receiver would likely explode.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh?

Looks like it was.
    What you said < what they actually have been doing. They're not going to print ammo anytime soon either.

What you said < what they actually have been doing. They're not going to print ammo anytime soon either.
    Then perhaps you'd be better off quoting someone else? Or providing some actual context? Because your first post and this one are completely disjointed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The technology to create them is incredibly expensive and difficult to obtain? Pretty sure the only people who have successfully "3d printed" in any form of sturdy metal work was NASA.

Hard plastics will melt/splinter/shatter/crack under the stress. A plastic upper receiver would likely explode.
    No doubt, but I believe this technology will vastly improve soon and become widely available. People will be printing crowbars and the like soon enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, the reason this is noteworthy isn't because you can print a gun from your garage. It's significant because you can print the part that the ATF tracks (on an AR) and buy the rest of the parts that, as far as the ATF is concerned, are just pieces of metal and polymer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

No doubt, but I believe this technology will vastly improve soon and become widely available. People will be printing crowbars and the like soon enough.
    Metal 3d printing in general is far too impractical. Sure it might improve, but it's not going to become something you can just buy at Staples. Even then, you're not much worse off than the stolen gun market. Best you can hope for is legislation for who owns the devices, which really won't be hard to do because I can guarantee it will always be a niche market for the devices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Correction, they printed the lower receiver only, the bit that doesnt actually move, its just a plastic shell. Saving themselves a whopping $300.

http://www.impactguns.com/bean-firea...-receiver.aspx

Until people can print other components like the Bolt, Firing pin, Barrel, Forward assembly etc, This is nothing more than a lump of durable plastic.
    Correct, not to mention that even using the best printer and plastic, they are not sturdy enough to be an actual suitable, long-term replacement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then perhaps you'd be better off quoting someone else? Or providing some actual context? Because your first post and this one are completely disjointed.
    Should be abundantly clear that the context is about people who are currently printing the guns, not a fantasy world where people print the whole gun. It's mostly about getting around legislation.

You mention hard plastic, but the reality is that 3d printers can print metal alloys. They're not particularly strong right now, but they're certainly more durable than plastic. And if I'm not mistaken, the materials needed for metal printing can be used in any 3d printer.

Should be abundantly clear that the context is about people who are currently printing the guns, not a fantasy world where people print the whole gun. It's mostly about getting around legislation.
    It was never more than a clarification...because there are still people who think that is exactly what is happening. Sooo, you're arguing the same point. Cool beans.

---------- Post added 2013-03-30 at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    You mention hard plastic, but the reality is that 3d printers can print metal alloys. They're not particularly strong right now, but they're certainly more durable than plastic. And if I'm not mistaken, the materials needed for metal printing can be used in any 3d printer.
    3D Metal Printers, or metal buildup/additive manufacturing are $$$$$ x $$$$$ to buy and operate. Joe Schmoe isn't going to be using one in his garage any time soon.

It's more practical to just mill the shit out of blocks of metal than 3d printing...only difference is that milling requires some skill.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-03-30 at 11:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was never more than a clarification...because there are still people who think that is exactly what is happening. Sooo, you're arguing the same point. Cool beans.
    The same people who are making posts about most components as if it's relevant?

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing that cant be done with other tools, everything from a small CNC mill to a nail file could produce the same end result.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

15+ Year Old Account
    Cant wait till I hear a female coworker telling me she printed some sex toy ;p
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Cant wait till I hear a female coworker telling me she printed some sex toy ;p

Yes. There is in fact an XKCD comic for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Read my post itt, it isn't about saving money, it's about a gun w/o a serial number that the ATF can track.
    Maybe you and other people should take, oh I don't know, 72 seconds and read over the following page.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/fire...echnology.html

If you can't... figure it out.... I don't want you to live on our planet anymore.