Thread: 3d printed guns

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    This has to be at least the third time a thread has been started here on 3D printed guns haha. I had a long thread going a year ago or so but I think it got deleted.

Oh here it is:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...UNS-are-coming

When something is shaped like a gun people lose their shit.
    For less effort you can make a gun from stuff at a hardware store.

A lot of people don’t realise that all a needs to work is a barrel and a firing mechanic. When I was in Africa I saw some very clever bolt actions made from pipe and a plumbing valve that you could easily fire faster than a round per second.

You know how people say "if you really want something you can make it happen" well that goes for bad things as well. If someone wants to bust in to a school and kill a lot of students, they will find a way to do so, with or without a gun. heaven forbid one day somone types " how to make homemade explosive" in to google.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsSpawn View Post
    When something is shaped like a gun people lose their shit.
    For less effort you can make a gun from stuff at a hardware store.

A lot of people don’t realise that all a needs to work is a barrel and a firing mechanic. When I was in Africa I saw some very clever bolt actions made from pipe and a plumbing valve that you could easily fire faster than a round per second.

You know how people say "if you really want something you can make it happen" well that goes for bad things as well. If someone wants to bust in to a school and kill a lot of students, they will find a way to do so, with or without a gun. heaven forbid one day somone types " how to make homemade explosive" in to google.
    Yeah, you can make an open-bolt machine gun with a few pipes, metal blocks and a drill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelayah View Post
    Yeah, you can make an open-bolt machine gun with a few pipes, metal blocks and a drill.
    The Sten gun is a perfect example of this. The plans for making them were dropped to Partisan groups in WW2, they were able to make them using just hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    I see, thanks for explaining, I thought it was more then that, I probably understood it wrong, but this is a true threat for the future still. Not today it seems, but it's something we might need to think about.

*ahem* "You wouldn't downlo... I mean you wouldn't print a car, would you?"
    Yea, this is going to really open a can of worms regarding piracy of everything, the current pirating of data will be nothing when there will be "pirating" of actual objects.

Yes, but think of it this way, for a regular person it might indeed be a bit much to get a printer just to print one gun. But what about gangs, drug cartels etc, it's only 3000 and they could get guns for all, illegal untraceable guns. Once they're done with them they can maybe even melt them, destroying the evidence. Remember, the guns don't really need to be as powerful as regular guns, they just need to be able to kill people.
    I stand corrected. I just looked up tensile strength testing on plastics.

http://www.matweb.com/reference/tensilestrength.aspx

Common ABS plastic would need to be impractically thick to successfully act as a gun barrel, and its still prone to stretching under pressure, meaning that the one shot you do get off before the barrel explodes, is going wherever the hell it wants to go.

I don't really see an issue with this. Sure even when they become widely available so what. The world is constantly changing people have to realize that and stop trying to keep it as it is. Guns are already widespread its a downside to having them exist. There's nothing people can do about it besides accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Naftc View Post
    I don't really see an issue with this. Sure even when they become widely available so what. The world is constantly changing people have to realize that and stop trying to keep it as it is. Guns are already widespread its a downside to having them exist. There's nothing people can do about it besides accept it.
    The issue is that this will mean the end of gun bans around the world, and people who are anti-gun are going to get very upset that they've lost the war against guns for good.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    The issue is that this will mean the end of gun bans around the world, and people who are anti-gun are going to get very upset that they've lost the war against guns for good.
    That's not an issue. Humans are a violent species, guns are just extensions of our violent nature.

15+ Year Old Account
    Never thought plastic would be able to handle that kind of pressure, maybe one day there could be stronger 3d printer to able to make a whole gun.

The politicians need to sack up, the world is moving faster then they will able to be able to work.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose