Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Back when I tanked LFR DS on alts, I always handled tanking stuff with the other tank in whispers. I don't see why targeting each other is a problem or why it even automatically implies gear inspection and epeen comparison.

I usually don't inspect anyone in randoms. I just do my thing and hope they do theirs.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2013-04-01 at 10:51 PM.

This seems pretty normal to me haha. I always inspect the other person or other classes I'll be competing with. I like to see where I stand with others, even if it is just lfr. Still nice to no, I see no problem with what you're showing.

When I tank LFR:

1) I inspect the other tank.
    2) I decide if their gear is overall better than mine.

IF YES then:
    "You can MT, I'll OT. Your gear beats mine."

IF NO then:
    "Hey, I got this. I'm a bit better geared, you OT *such and such*."

Usually people go along with it if you are polite about it. If not...well if you out gear the other tank than your threat will also be better
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    lol that is so stupid why would people in LFR kick people in LFR gear, no wonder the other tank got kicked well deserved.
    I know, right? I was thinking "dude he's decked out in LFR gear, which, technically, means he outgears the instance." Offhand I don't remember that there were any major gaps in his gear, but maybe he was looking for a trinket or token or weapon, or just some valor.

When I tanked LFR with my warrior tank (full hc gear), everytime I pop up in raid I targeted another tank - to buff him Vigiliance. Never bother to inspect gear and other crappy kid elitist shit. If he isn't good or going to screw - whisper, chit-chat, explanation and gg.

Yeah I always look at the tanks when I join a LFR.
    you'd be surprised at the amount of dks that don't even have blood presence on.

What is all this MT OT crap? I haven't set a MT or OT in 3 expansions. Oh sure I say I'll take the adds or if they prefer to start on Horridon or adds first but I never make a distinction. He's probably going to be tanking half the time anyway because most fights have a tank swap of some sort. People get too caught up in labels man.

Deleted
    good thread

Don't spam (by Sonnillon).
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2013-04-02 at 05:19 AM.

Speaking as a returning tank, I don't see the issue. Even in DS I used to do a quick inspect to gauge the other tank's gear level, mostly so:

1) I know if I'm going to pull threat more often and should throttle, or if I should go all out to maintain threat
    2) If the other tank is better geared, I'll let him be primary tank and I'll be secondary tank

Now both of these are largely a moot point for me as I'm returning after several months off (left in October) so my gear won't be great and also I'm not 100% sure of the fight mechanics beyond the very basics, so I'm not in a position to be the primary tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokudu View Post
    What is all this MT OT crap? I haven't set a MT or OT in 3 expansions. Oh sure I say I'll take the adds or if they prefer to start on Horridon or adds first but I never make a distinction. He's probably going to be tanking half the time anyway because most fights have a tank swap of some sort. People get too caught up in labels man.
    I think its just terminology (like the other thread asking why its DPS and not DD). This is why I tend to use the terms "primary" and "secondary" since MT/OT really has no meaning outside of an add fight.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-04-02 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetriot View Post
    The only vitriol I am seeing here is coming from you underdogba. Gear often reflects ability and for a tank it is important that they understand and know their role. There is nothing wrong with wanting to succeed in any endeavor and your argument of free epics making epics more valuable and people more gear obsessed is counter intuitive.
    Gear doesn't reflect ability since WotLK.

Gear doesn't reflect ability, but it can reflect familiarity with the fight. And with the trash pulls, which in ToT are sometimes more problematic than the boss fights.

I tanked LFR on my warrior and DK for months and inspecting/whispering the other tanks was always the first thing I did. Gear gives a good idea of how much you can slack on tank swapping mechanics and most tanks are cool with admitting their level of familiarity with boss fights if I just ask at the start. Also, tanking in LFR has been and always will be a terrible experience so it's fun to bullshit with the other tank since they are generally the only cool person in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by unholycrushe View Post
    I tanked LFR on my warrior and DK for months and inspecting/whispering the other tanks was always the first thing I did. Gear gives a good idea of how much you can slack on tank swapping mechanics and most tanks are cool with admitting their level of familiarity with boss fights if I just ask at the start. Also, tanking in LFR has been and always will be a terrible experience so it's fun to bullshit with the other tank since they are generally the only cool person in the group.
    This is always fun, a good chunk of my friends list are tanks I've LFRed with. I've always felt tanking takes a certain personality to keep playing it for a long time, and I just happen to gel with this type of person.

Quote Originally Posted by unholycrushe View Post
    It takes some huge balls to tank LFR. Tanks who are anything less than perfect are a huge shit magnet. And you're not just signing up for a nightmare, but a nightmare you have to spend 30 minutes in queue to join.

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    It takes some huge balls to tank LFR. Tanks who are anything less than perfect are a huge shit magnet. And you're not just signing up for a nightmare, but a nightmare you have to spend 30 minutes in queue to join.
    Nah, tanking LFR is a nobrainer once you've done normals. It's healers in LFR that I have to give major props to - those who are actually healing, and who didn't just click the role to get a fast queue. I always try to be really nice to my LFR healers who actually heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninotchka View Post
    Nah, tanking LFR is a nobrainer once you've done normals. It's healers in LFR that I have to give major props to - those who are actually healing, and who didn't just click the role to get a fast queue. I always try to be really nice to my LFR healers who actually heal.
    Yeahbut ... in theory, LFR isn't for normal mode tanks.

The great majority of tanks that I've inspected in LFR (which is not that many of them because I don't generally care) have only LFR/valor/rep gear.

So I think that what they're doing does require some huevos.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokudu View Post
    I agree. Everyone's a raid healer. Now battle res. the tank. No, the other one. The MT. No, that was the OT.

FFFFUU