keeping pets on bosses?

Guild I am currently raiding with asked me to switch to hunter for ranged dps that quit on us. I want to sit my pet on the bosses for sunder + more dps (horridon, council, durumu etc) However, I am not too familiar with stances to get that type of thing done. If i keep it on assist stance for my pet it'll go for whatever I attack. However, if I keep it on passive and tell it to attack the boss one time will it stay on that target the entire fight?

main concern is dps lost in travel time as the pet switches targets

Keep your pet on passive and send it to attack the boss at the start. Remember to unmacro petattack and petassist if you have them in macros.

ok thought as much, thanks for the help!

You probably want your pet putting sunders on the adds during Horridon, as it is 10 yards? and hits all targets.

I only keep my pet on the boss if the pet is providing some buff. If it's providing a debuff, we may need that on an add, though with how long the CDs are on our debuffs (25s usually) it's usually easier to get your feral/warrior to sunder what needs sundering, or your lock to CoE something, etc.

It's mainly for sunders since we haven't really had any on the boss. Unfortunately we don't have any warriors or ferals ;/

Quote Originally Posted by krakken View Post
    It's mainly for sunders since we haven't really had any on the boss. Unfortunately we don't have any warriors or ferals ;/
    Right but phase 1 is all about getting the adds down as quickly as possible, and having sunder on the boss is kinda worthless as the time to DPS horridon is pretty short between doors (until you're in better gear).