Thread: 2013 MLB Thread

Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Maddux really was an automatic (well, with the exception of 16 voters who left him off inexplicably!), Glavine as well was part of that awesome Braves rotation in the mid 90's so they were both pretty much locked in, Frank Thomas again I doubt you'll find anyone who grudges that decision as well. Bit shocked that Biggio was only 2 votes shy, sorry, but no supspicions of PED usage (except by those who assume everyone was at it), 3,000+ hits & longevity, there's no reason why he should he a doubt for the HoF!
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Also just realized that Jack Morris is not going to the Hall ever now... kind of sucks with the magic he had as a pitcher, but with his stat line I guess it kind of makes sense. The guy did some special things in his career, but I guess not winning a Cy and having a career ERA almost at 4 BEFORE the steroid era even began kinda hurt him in a big way.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    We don't have to riot in the streets.. Maddux gets in as well as Glavine and Thomas.
    Yes we do, 16 people didn't vote for Maddux. That's worth a riot

I don't care that's not unanimous. I just care that he got the recognition he deserved. The whole system needs to be pared down, anyway. It's ridiculous that a guy refused to vote for Maddux because he is associated (through the day he was born) with the steroid era. THAT is just fucking ludicrous. Anyone who publicly states that they wouldn't vote for anyone because they played in a specific time is just sad. Guys like that shouldn't be allowed to have opinions, let alone be paid so people can hear them.

Also just realized that Jack Morris is not going to the Hall ever now... kind of sucks with the magic he had as a pitcher, but with his stat line I guess it kind of makes sense. The guy did some special things in his career, but I guess not winning a Cy and having a career ERA almost at 4 BEFORE the steroid era even began kinda hurt him in a big way.

Still potential for him to make it after 2016 with the veterans comittee.

I dont understand the whole Jack Morris thing. He was pushing 4.0 with his ERA. Also the whole 15 years on the ballot thing is just stupid. Did Morris' stats get better during the 15 years since he retired? No they didnt. If he wasnt a hall of famer after 5 years or even after 10 years hes certainly not a hall of famer 15 years later. After 10 years you are just getting pity votes anyways. I know some guys need a few years because they ballot is over crowded like it was this year. I think Biggio should have got in but he will next year for sure. But then theres people like Piazza and Biggio that will probably have to wait a few years. Next year isnt going to be any easier for the boarderline guys. Smoltz, Big Unit, and Pedro are probably getting in along with Biggio. 2016 is probably the year for people like Piazza and Bagwell since its a pretty weak class other than Griffey and Hoffman.

If it's a weak class, expect no players to get in.. that's what I've learned about MLB voting.

If it's a weak class, expect no players to get in.. that's what I've learned about MLB voting.
    if Griffey doesnt get in people will be fired. But other than him and Hoffman its a pretty weak class.

Griffey will be first ballot for sure. But the voters are fucking asinine.. I kind of hate it more than most things.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Griffey will be first ballot for sure. But the voters are fucking asinine.. I kind of hate it more than most things.
    Thing is, people won't vote for Griffey because he played in the steroid era. Griffey will still be in the high 90%. If maddux didn't get 100%, no one ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by vrsick View Post
    Thing is, people won't vote for Griffey because he played in the steroid era. Griffey will still be in the high 90%. If maddux didn't get 100%, no one ever will.

who the hell would even use steroids and Griffey in the same sentence. Griffey had 5 seasons where he played less than 100 games because of injuries. Thats almost 2 full season right there not counting the seasons where he only played 109, 111, 111, and 117. If Griffey played at least 125 games every season he would have basically played an extra 2.5 maybe 3 years. Had Griffey been on roids he would have easily hit hit 800 HRs.

- - - Updated - - -

If maddux didn't get 100%, no one ever will.
    I think with this new era there might be a 100% guy some day. If young studs like Trout keep putting up MVP numbers consistently then I could see someone getting 100%. Im just wondering how people like Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, or Ted Williams never got 100%.
    Last edited by Lilly32; 2014-01-09 at 05:37 PM.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    "Dodgers beat reporter Ken Gurnick says that he will only vote for Jack Morris for the Hall of Fame. His explanation? He won't vote for anyone that played during the Steroid Era. "

Means this guy is not voting for Griffey, Pedro, Randy Johnson, Jeter, Rivera. They really need to take a look at the system. Biggio missed it by 2 votes so these crazy nutjobs do have an effect.

I can only think of one player who may potentially trouble the 100% mark and I'd consider that to be a mighty shock if it were to happen, Mariano Rivera's about the only person likely to get near that given the body of work & the way he's revered, but there will be someone who will leave him off because they don't believe anyone should be unanimous.

Dan Le Betard gave his vote to Deadspin. But he did it to kind of prove a point and take a stand and tell the voting organization that they really need to look at shit a little better... it's probably going to cost him being able to vote ever in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dan Le Betard gave his vote to Deadspin. But he did it to kind of prove a point and take a stand and tell the voting organization that they really need to look at shit a little better... it's probably going to cost him being able to vote ever in the future.
    the fans on the website did a better job than most of the voters

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    the fans on the website did a better job than most of the voters
    I think that was his point. That the fans are actually watching these games and some people voting havent actively covered baseball in years.

I know the guys on MLB network are talking about it being a crowded ballot especially with Smoltz, Randy Johnson, and Pedro being eligible next year. If you really want to see an impossible ballot look at the very first one from 1936 lol: The following people were left off in 1936: Cy Young, Lou Gherig, Rogers Hornsby, George Sisler, Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove, and Connie Mack.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2014-01-10 at 11:47 PM.

I don't understand the fad of only voting so a few players will get in at most. If there's a crazy year where 10 of the best players ever become eligible, they should all be getting in. It just like how the hockey hall of fame only allows 4 players in at most per year, when there are guys who were leaders of the game in the NHL and internationally for years just sitting there.

I don't understand the fad of only voting so a few players will get in at most. If there's a crazy year where 10 of the best players ever become eligible, they should all be getting in. It just like how the hockey hall of fame only allows 4 players in at most per year, when there are guys who were leaders of the game in the NHL and internationally for years just sitting there.
    well on the other hand you have the NFL where they just open the doors and wave everyone in. I think on average like 6 get in every year. I do wish they would do something about the list though. The NFL narrows down the candidates before they even vote. Its just ridiculous that there a guys on the MLB ballot every year that only get a handful of votes. They know damn well there are people on the ballot that dont stand a chance. They need a committee to weed those people out so they dont steal votes from deserving players. Seriously this year people voted for Julio Franco, Kenny Lofton, and some random I never even heard of named Aaron Seely. Seriosuly they need to GTFO. Yes they drop off because they didnt get 5% but they shouldnt even be there. What if a voter was a Julio Franco fanboy and he was his favorite player. On the other hand he really liked Biggio but hes only got one vote left so he gives it to Franco. If one other person did the same thing with say Kenny Lofton then there were the two votes Biggio needed and they caused him not to get in. Also they need to remove votes from anyone not currently covering MLB on a very regular basis.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Biggio has never tested positive for PEDs, nor was he even named in the Mitchell Report. Seriously, the BBWAA is a farce and I'm glad it's looking like more people are going to pull a Le Batard next year. The old breed needs to wither and die already, in a figurative sense of course.

Take that A-Rod. See ya in 2015 lol.