Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I was never around for this "culture" people speak of but I have still seen it.

I find another player and it's pretty much instant bond; Unless they're Alliance.
    And then it's a different kind of bonding.

It's just not as public anymore and it feels like locally League of Legends took over absolutely everything; And for the worse in my opinion.
    (Lock in gaming event? Yes; Let's run a LoL tournament for 5+ hours and have it cancel every other game tournament for the evening.)

-- Signature by /the/ Crazytaco --

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    It never had a "culture" to begin with.
    It's also bad to say stuff when you are completely wrong to begin with.

We still have a culture on our server, people still help each other out. Though not as much as it used to be. We lack trolls though because we kill them with our kindness
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    It's also bad to say stuff when you are completely wrong to begin with.
    The word culture is vague and gets tossed around a lot.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

ITT: Nostalgia

Herald of the Titans
    So a limited one time promotion showed you the game was dead?
    For anyone thinking this promotion lasted years/happened many times, just follow this link:
    http://www.wowpedia.org/World_of_War...Fuel_Promotion
    I have a feeling he was being sarcastic

There was a lovely april fools joke made by a fan this year, there's still lots of michinima, The Tauren play Darkmoon, as for commercials we just had a Chuck Norris one resently (and "why do we fight?" which was awesome).

For that matter what do things outside the game have to do with it's "inside" culture (I assume you mean in-game).

April Fools: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-awfully-legit!!!
    Vaanel being awesome: http://www.youtube.com/user/Intaanis?feature=watch
    Norris Commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKaIlT_lK1s
    "Why do we fight" Commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvYXoyxLv64

P.S. People won't shut up on general chat when I'm on so can't help you there...

---------- Post added 2013-04-04 at 05:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nexsa View Post
    It is. Nobody wants to help you anymore. 99.9% of people look out for themselves and what they can get from using you.

Guilds and mostly just close friends now. A lot of players that think they are hardcore are snobby and make anyone else feel like crap by treating them like it. In my opinion, you're not an awesome player just because you can do content. You're an awesome player for playing fair, and not being a rude ass to everyone.
    Who are you playing with? I run into random @$$holes every once and a while, but mostly the players I meet are really nice. For every guy who boots the new raider there's like twelve that wanna help if asked for it.

Thunder Isle especially. People just can't seem to stop helping each other lately.

---------- Post added 2013-04-04 at 05:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    You used to go out and see WoW bumper stickers, WoW promotions for things like Mountain Dew. WoW used to have commercials on TV Every day. It had new music coming in by the record each day. It had heavy roleplaying and fanfiction communities, all that is dead now.
    That's not culture that's Merch.

---------- Post added 2013-04-04 at 05:43 AM ----------

So a limited one time promotion showed you the game was dead?
    For anyone thinking this promotion lasted years/happened many times, just follow this link:
    http://www.wowpedia.org/World_of_War...Fuel_Promotion
    I think that was meant be a joke?

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Indeed. With less players, the RIFT community feels more closely-knit.
    Much the same thing happens when you move from a rural mid-size town to a large city. It's sad but probably inevitable that the larger a social game gets the more difficult it is to know anyone.

For the record they did a reasonably nice promotion on the West Coast US with AM/PM MiniMarts last year in which you could get a set of plastic drink cups. I have a couple of sets and think they'll sell very well in a few years on eBay. So stuff happens but it's more targeted than it used to be.

Here's a picture of them from Blizzard:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/441..._ampm-2_7_2012
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-04-04 at 07:37 AM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    What happened?
    Gameplay was replaced by menus.

Yes it has. But things like that are expected when you try to isolate your community in the name of convenience.

I get what the OP’s saying, and can’t help but agree that the “culture” has taken something of a hit. I suppose the snag is that it’s hard to define what you mean by that “culture” but, for me, things like the machinima, the musical parodies and the blogging scene (in particular) have taken absolute hammerings since the end of WotLK. For my money, the theory-crafting scene has also taken a bit of a dive throughout the last couple of expansions.

Sadly, it’s hard to pinpoint why it happened and, indeed, to what extent; there is a tendency for people to overstate a problem and make it out to be a catastrophe, which doesn’t help. I suppose online media such as blogs and theory-crafting simply aren’t as relevant or time consuming as they used to be given the fact things like talents or rotations are more transparent than ever. There’s also the possibility that people who were doing these things for a long time did them… For a long time. Few people do things forever, and there potentially hasn’t been anyone to plug the gap.

Could it be argued that greater access to endgame has contributed? Maybe. Now that players can pretty much all access the latest content within a week or so of hitting the level cap, those who used to amuse themselves in other ways by making videos or the like now just raid. This is maybe evident by the sheer volume of boss-kill videos that are out there nowadays, but not many videos of much else.

Server communities are also something of an enigma. Heavily populated servers see their channels clogged up with “lf3m for msv need 498 gear”, while the ghost towns don’t have the population to support any external activities. Again, we could probably argue that the access to content has exasperated this particular issue but, as with everything else in this post, it’s just conjecture.

To a certain extent, I suppose my advice would be to figure out exactly what it is you think you’re missing, and then see if you can find it. If you don’t believe you can find it, well… Be it.

Be the change you’re hoping to find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, it is possible for people, many people actually, to not think very highly of World of Warcraft. Those self same people may even consider other games in the genre superior due to their own subjective qualifiers. Qualifiers which are just as valid as the subjective qualifiers of those whom believe World of Warcraft is a "23 out of 10".

I'm having the feeling that the "older" players quit the game, and the newer, and mostlikely younger players are growning in numbers. which means the old culture we had in the game in dying. And now the ragers, QQers and whiners are taking over :S

edit: I also have a example for that. My little brother and his friends started to play 2 years back. The way they play the game, the way they want the game to be, is so different from my (oldskool?) point of view. They don't want to spend alot of time, they want free epics. And yes, when some players makes a mistake, they start yelling and cursing instead of helping the guy. There is a new generation WoW player now...
    Last edited by Galaxtrixias; 2013-04-04 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexsa View Post
    It is. Nobody wants to help you anymore. 99.9% of people look out for themselves and what they can get from using you.

Guilds and mostly just close friends now. A lot of players that think they are hardcore are snobby and make anyone else feel like crap by treating them like it. In my opinion, you're not an awesome player just because you can do content. You're an awesome player for playing fair, and not being a rude ass to everyone.
    You just perfectly described how the game was in Vanilla and BC. it wasnt until Wrath that the game started getting good, and when we left that XPack, we left those things too. The game is back to the Vanilla mode now.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post
    I'm having the feeling that the "older" players quit the game, and the newer, and mostlikely younger players are growning in numbers. which means the old culture we had in the game in dying. And now the ragers, QQers and whiners are taking over :S

edit: I also have a example for that. My little brother and his friends started to play 2 years back. The way they play the game, the way they want the game to be, is so different from my (oldskool?) point of view. They don't want to spend alot of time, they want free epics. And yes, when some players makes a mistake, they start yelling and cursing instead of helping the guy. There is a new generation WoW player now...
    I've been playing along time and believe me "old" or "new" players are equally pitching fits, whining, and otherwise causing a scene. The fact that we stereotype each other in such plentiful ways is also not helping.

That said for every player who kicks the newbie there's a dozen who'll help. That hasn't changed.

Most, if not all, parodies / machinima's were rubbish anyway.

WoW is still advertised on the TV and in magazines. The commercials with celebrities were never funny.

The game is what you make it. So many people cry about the loss of community, but they themselves do nothing to promote this ideal community they want so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxtrixias View Post

If little brothers and little sisters was considered the new generation, we'd all be doomed.
    Belief can become reality!

Herald of the Titans Mighty Blue Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    IF you want culture go to a high pop realm. You'll get more then you can handle I had to transfer off one because I like some peace and quite. The only thing wrong with the wow culture now is the people who constantly whine how there is something wrong with the game but yet continue to pay the monthly fee, which makes me /facepalm.

Probably the same people who hate fast food but continue to go to McD's for lunch every day.
    Yeah, during Wrath there became a underlining of people who loved to "bash" the game for the sake of doing it. And they've continued to do so for another two expansions now. I just tend to /ignore them and keep playing.

I still wear my WoW-shirts. My poor Brewfest one is starting to fade a bit.

I do hope there will be another commercial like we had in cata and in wrath. (Celebrity styled)

And they still have products, we got Monopoly few months ago? And Mega blocks.
    » Active MMO-Champion visitor since: 12-12-2012 «
    » Predict Warlords of Draenor to sell 3 Million copies at first day «

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    Yes it has. But things like that are expected when you try to isolate your community in the name of convenience.
    Yeah, this is certainly another factor. LFD, LFR, cross-realm zones...lots of things pulling people away from their own server community. I remember back in TBC/WOTLK, before any cross-realm dungeons or raids, the server communities were a lot more well known. Everyone knew who the "good" guilds were, and the "bad" ones, as well as the epic players, or the noobs that would ninja loot, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

All thoses things still exists, and WoW's commercials on Vanilla weren't especially fun. (I remember some advertizers, it was just a cutscene of the introduction cinematic ...)
    Requests : Open | Deviantart