Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Yes but a kid should still be a kid, no need monitor and check their progress all year round, just look at what happens in Singapore (I think it was Singapore, can't remember source), kids get pressured to progress and achieve so much they develop depressions in important lifephases wich could have severe consequences in the adult life.
    Up until a few hundred years ago, childhood only lasted about 11 or 12 years. Even with year-round schooling, children are getting way more of a childhood than they ever used to in the history of our race. Especially these days, kids have more distractions than ever before.

The sad thing is that schools in the US are actually shortening the school year as a way to deal with budget cuts. I honestly wish that Obama had focused on education reform before trying to tackle health reform.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Up until a few hundred years ago, childhood only lasted about 11 or 12 years. Even with year-round schooling, children are getting way more of a childhood than they ever used to in the history of our race. Especially these days, kids have more distractions than ever before.

The sad thing is that schools in the US are actually shortening the school year as a way to deal with budget cuts. I honestly wish that Obama had focused on education reform before trying to tackle health reform.
    But better health means to more working people which means more taxes which means more money for education.

Cmon, the holidays are sacred!

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    In general, parents with money tend to often be more about planned parent hood, planning out educating their child, and what not. Poor families tend to just have children and a lot of the time unexpectedly and then just expect the kid to find their own way. There are exceptions to this of course as there always is, but most parents that want their kids to succeed take an active role in their education and lay out summer exercises for them to do.
    Parents with more money also have fewer children on average. I forget what the fertility rate of higher income groups is, but I remember it's far below the national average.

History has shown that we can't count on parents to properly educate their kids much in the way of academics or even important life skills in many cases. Even wealthy parents are like this many times, though at a far lower rate.