Deleted

Monk help needed

Hallo Everyone,

My name is Roschar (even though my account name says Athura) and I'm a brewmaster Monk.
    I'm one of the main tanks of our 10m raiding guild and I would love to improve my tanking.
    In our raids I've got the nickname "paper tank" or "wet paper tank" and although my healers say it jokingly (I think), there should always be room to improve.

Now we log our raids, but there is one problem. I have discalculi (trouble reading numbers) and thus WoL reports are difficult for me to decipher.
    Since I like reading this forums and saw some helpful debates about expertise, I've gathered the courage to ask you guys for some help.

Here is the log: worldoflogs. reports/rt-3ssgdn35by8cj34q/ (2 first kills "progression night")
    worldoflogs. rt-jnq3bg2ggnnpjtb3/ (supposed to be on farm raid, 2 LFR bosses included by uploader)

Armory: eu.battle. net/wow/en/character/auchindoun /Roschar/advanced
    Won't let me post links just yet!
    Trying to get items to decrease my hitrating (way over the cap)

Thanks all!
    Last edited by mmocb5628c559f; 2013-04-05 at 12:48 PM.

Deleted
    As far as expertise is concerned, I think you just need to make a decision and go full bore to it. If you feel your abilities are landing enough being at the first cap 2550, then you need to get out of the extra 1000 points you have there and reforge it to something else. If you feel like your abilities miss at important times when you needed the chi for a defensive cooldown, get up to the 5100 cap. Hanging out at 3500+ is not helpful in any case. Thats why some people value expertise while others dont. I personally like the full 5100 cap. And you're also quite a bit over hit cap, so thats potentially like almost 2000 points you could be putting into something else like haste or crit if you went for the first exp cap. you'll notice a huge difference if you reforged all that out.

Just looking at the Durumu kill log, it looks like you cast Keg Smash 41 times, out of a possible max of 51.75. But it also never missed it looks like. You have excellent shuffle uptime, and excellent Tiger Power uptime. Expel harm was used 11 times out of a potential 27 times, so using that more will help heal yourself more. Also glyphing the healing orbs will make them last longer for when you need them. Which will also help with self healing. The more you heal yourself the less your healers will have to, and hopefully that will eliminate the stigma you've got of being a paper tank.

Honestly though, I dont see THAT much wrong with your rotation or ability use. And i feel a bit strange giving advice to someone who is further along the progression train than I am. But thats my 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    looking at the kill logs it seems he got more healing from himself than the actual healers... doing a lovely job in that department.
    monks are avoidance tanks though... and one of your deaths was when you had frostlord and one of the bosses had 100 energy(council) so healers were spamming aoe heals on the raid and, like an avoidance tank you took a spike.
    one thing i've noticed is basically not taking damage for a while, healers get distracted doing other stuff, then you just start dropping, and with no incoming heals(i've died on my brm where log shows the last hot tick +5 seconds...so even hots fell off) which shouldn't happen...but they might think someone else is keeping you up at the time...

get recount or something, look at your death logs, pretty positive most of your "ohh you're a paper tank" deaths are from healers not healing you and you taking a spike.

details for roschar -- jin'rokh kill ---
    click healing by actor
    Healing taken from
    Actor Amount
    Roschar 2786369 39.5 %
    Kleptomanen 1614809 22.9 %
    Vallheri 1352856 19.2 %

-------------------------------------
    council kill
    Healing taken from
    Actor Amount
    Roschar 5901796 36.2 %
    Kleptomanen 4875734 29.9 %
    Hadriana 3543877 21.8 %

-------------------------------------
    tortos 10n
    Healing taken from
    Actor Amount
    Roschar 5873850 40.2 %
    Kleptomanen 4280610 29.3 %
    Hadriana 3643847 24.9 %
    --------------------------------------
    megaera
    Healing taken from
    Actor Amount
    Roschar 9974299 33.0 %
    Kleptomanen 8712098 28.8 %
    --------------------------------------
    ji'kun
    Healing taken from
    Actor Amount
    Roschar 5935445 43.5 %
    Vallheri 3035219 22.3 %
    Hadriana 2639519 19.4 %
    ---------------------------------------
    only on the triceratops did a healer heal you more than you did yourself, and triple puncture can't be dodged so...that's a lot of extra damage...

basically you are healing yourself more than healers are healing you, and you are staying alive, i see no problem with that
    when you spike and can't self heal more than your damage intake, healers are slow to react because they are healing other people
    this is a healer problem, not a you problem. just saying.
    Last edited by Christan; 2013-04-05 at 02:42 PM.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Thanks for both replies! Always fun to give this as feedback to our healers (Real life buddy's)
    I'll try to get some less hit rating, if only I'd win some tier pieces / gear that doesn't have hit on it.

-Mokosoo, it doens't matter how far you are in progression. There is always room for more growth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    looking at the kill logs it seems he got more healing from himself than the actual healers... doing a lovely job in that department.
    monks are avoidance tanks though... and one of your deaths was when you had frostlord and one of the bosses had 100 energy(council) so healers were spamming aoe heals on the raid and, like an avoidance tank you took a spike.
    one thing i've noticed is basically not taking damage for a while, healers get distracted doing other stuff, then you just start dropping, and with no incoming heals(i've died on my brm where log shows the last hot tick +5 seconds...so even hots fell off) which shouldn't happen...but they might think someone else is keeping you up at the time...
    Heh, guard does wonders for that, most any log I've actually checked while tanking, my own guard "healed" me for far more than any actual healer healing spell. But yeah, will definitely agree on that second point, with the healers thinking someone else must be healing you during a guard/string of dodges, and then when the eventual damage gets through, suddenly dead.

OT: Agree with what others have been saying, reforge your hit into something else (down to the cap, anyway), and same with the extra expertise, unless you want to go the full 15%. I personally stick to the 7.5, as I use mostly the same set for my DPS spec on single tank fights, and I seem to be able to keep shuffle going without it just fine.
    Last edited by Valkari; 2013-04-05 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ~35% self healing in a 10m is about right for a monk doing what they should. That was my average % on most fights for me before I switched to 25m. This Tier has even more gimmicky fights that you can revolve Guard around so if you are timing it right it should be soaking up a huge amount of dmg.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.