Poll: How much do you like/dislike science?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I have a biochemistry degree and studied long time scale protein structural changes while in graduate school. You tell me :P

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    I have a biochemistry degree and studied long time scale protein structural changes while in graduate school. You tell me :P
    As a current postdoc, I'd have to guess you hate it.

Just kidding. Well... kind of.

I love it, even if I know jackshit about it.
    That's probably why I love it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MMKing View Post
    Yes of course i love it.
    The entirety of my life is the result of science.

Seriously. This material allows me to communicate with people on the other side of the planet.

All hail Silicon! (for now..)

I actually voted neutral.

I like science and what it stands for, from a purist standpoint.

I just don't think a lot of true science is done these days. I think most of it is greed and profit driven by companies that want to make money off it - think biotech and oil companies. They don't really care about advancing and learning about the world we live in and how it works, but only the bottom line and how much money it will make them.

I also have issues with scientists falsifying data or making breakthroughs right before their grant money runs dry so they can get more.

On the good side though, I love pure science for the sake of discovery, whether that be proofs or disproving existing notions about the world and the universe.

I said I like science and here is why.

Although I love biology, physics, chemistry and anything mechanical. I can not get into Astronomy or Astro physics or any of that stuff.

I will admit I even like the pseudo sciences cryptology and such, not that I buy into much of it. I just think it is neat.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    I just don't think a lot of true science is done these days. I think most of it is greed and profit driven by companies that want to make money off it - think biotech...
    I hope you stay intellectually honest on this and encourage anyone you know that gets cancer to eschew the treatments available. Fuck that shit that's not "true science", right? Real scientists are poor and have no desire to make any money off of their decades of training and effort.

=O

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Screw that, im rejecting physics...
    Oh boy, we all know where this is heading. Someone get my physics book and some duck tape.
    Your words are like your intestine, stinky and loaded with danger.

Although personally im not great at science (especially Chemistry and Biology), I still find it really interesting and love it, especially for all the advancements it brings.

I hate science because it makes people think they're cooler than everyone else.

FUCK YOU SCIENTISTS!

/sarcasm
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it for what it does for us, but I don't think upon it much. Kind of like water, a necessity, and all around us, but not much attention paid directly towards it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love science. Robotics, Zoology... all that interesting stuff. Microbiology and physics, however... not so much.

But I err away from the more mathematical concepts of math. I don't have the mind for numbers. I can memorize gobs of obscure facts relevant to obscure animals, but the more intensive maths... not so much.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love science in every aspect of its meaning, it is the embodiment of learning as we can functionally comprehend it.

However, that doesn't mean i love or even remotely like the people who brandish it for their own personal beliefs or political agendas (looking at a certain crowd on these forums regarding religious contexts.. so I won't go any further in discussing that).

Science exists so that we might understand the universe and everything in it, it helps us evolve as a species through technology, as we become less and less dependent on our own biological capabilities in favor of technological adaptation to our environment's changes. To say that you hate science is to say that you prefer to remain stupid and stationary as the world continually evolves and changes around you.

And you know what happens to species who refuse to adapt, they go extinct...
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I used to love it, but it bores me now...I wouldn't say I dislike it, as it does nothing for me. There hasn't been anything in science that really wowed me in years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Love it, currently study a bachelor of science majoring in chemistry

Sig by the amazing Shyama! <Ascension 16/16 H 25man oceanic>

To quote Michio Kaku;

"It must be a strange world not being a scientist, going through life not knowing -- or maybe not caring about where the air came from, where the stars at night come from or how far they are from us. I want to know"
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2013-04-07 at 08:04 AM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    I may not be a man of science, but tell me the wonders of the universe and I will sit with rapt attention and a grin from ear to ear.

Science gave me modern medicine, a significantly higher quality of life, a lot of fun toys, and (most importantly) the internet. After all, engineering, medicine, and almost any invention or innovation in the last century can be traced to some form of applied sciences. So I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of science.

In terms of actually doing something sciency myself... not as much. I love learning about "science channel" astronomy and oceanography, and some of the basic concepts of physics (mainly from minutephysics videos on youtube and, once again, the science channel), but I absolutely hated doing chemistry in high school and I don't think I could ever learn the more advanced things or make a career out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnash View Post
    Science gave me modern medicine, a significantly higher quality of life, a lot of fun toys, and (most importantly) the internet. After all, engineering, medicine, and almost any invention or innovation in the last century can be traced to some form of applied sciences. So I'd say I'm a pretty big fan of science.
    If you put it that way then just about nobody can answer 'no' to the question.

Deleted
    To the 13 people who chose the bottom 3 options at time of me posting this, please vacate the internet, stop using cars, computers, electricity, or well, bascially anything....