Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    It is very amusing reading discussions about war machinery when nobody mentioned the human factor. In fact, the more amusing thing is that there are people who believe that the outcome of a war will be determined by conventional means or a budget and not by the will of the elite classes that pull the strings.
    If anything the wars are won by the boots on the ground and lost by the suits in the office.

Just because the 'elite' wants something, that isn't going to make a fighting force better equipped or trained than the opposition. Budget does play a part...

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Someone care to explain to me why the US kept all this military personnel/equipment there anyways? Was the paranoia that deep?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Someone care to explain to me why the US kept all this military personnel/equipment there anyways? Was the paranoia that deep?
    Yes, the Soviet menace was a very real threat, the top Brass in command took a lot of convincing the threat was over. Even now we have Generals that still think the Soviets will make a come back.

It is about time, they are not needed here.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The tanks are, I agree, however the Russians are really shit at logistics not to mention their military is flat out broke. They can barely afford to feed, clothe and pay their troops, let alone deploy them against modern well equipped European forces.
    They are undergoing huge reforms now though, it started after the Georgia war which was a pretty big failure from a Russian pov. Spending has increased with a lot and they are in the process of re-organizing and modernizing their military on a very large scale, including abandoning the conscript system. 2020 is their current goal, thats when it should all be finished.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    I think he is referring to napoleon and hitler.
    And one of ours!

Charles the XII. The battle of Poltova.

Russia had opened their part of the war by invading the Swedish-held territories of Livonia and Estonia. Charles countered this by attacking the Russian besiegers at the Battle of Narva. The Swedish army of ten thousand men was outnumbered almost four to one by the Russians. Charles attacked under cover of a blizzard, effectively split the Russian army in two and won the battle. Many of Peter's troops that fled the battlefield drowned in the Narva River, and the total number of Russian fatalities reached about 10,000 at the end of the battle, while the Swedish troop lost 667 men.

Charles did not pursue the Russian army. Instead, he turned against Poland-Lithuania, which was formally neutral at this point, thereby disregarding Polish negotiation proposals supported by the Swedish parliament. Charles defeated the Polish king Augustus II and his Saxon allies at the Battle of Kliszow in 1702 and captured many cities of the Commonwealth. After the deposition of August as king of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth, Charles XII put Stanisław Leszczyński, largely a puppet of Charles, on the throne.

Russian resurgence
    Charles XII and Mazepa at the Dnieper River after Poltava by Gustaf Cederström

While Charles won several decisive battles in the Commonwealth and ultimately secured the coronation of his ally Stanisław Leszczyński and the surrender of Saxony, the Russian Tsar Peter the Great embarked on a military reform plan that improved the Russian army, using the effectively organized Swedes and other European standards for role model. Russian forces managed to penetrate Ingria and established a new city, Saint Petersburg, there. Charles planned an invasion of the Russian heartland, allying himself with Ivan Mazepa, Hetman of the Ukrainian Cossacks. The size of the invading Swedish army was peeled off as Charles left Leszczyński with some 24,000 German and Polish troops, departing eastwards from Saxony in late 1707 with some 35,000 men, adding a further 12,500 under Adam Ludwig Lewenhaupt marching from Livonia. Charles left the homeland with a defense of approximately 28,800 men, with a further 14,000 in Swedish Finland as well as further garrisons in the Baltic and German provinces.

After securing his "favorite" victory in the Battle of Holowczyn, despite being outnumbered over one to three against the new Russian army, Charles opted to march eastwards on Moscow rather than try to seize Saint Petersburg, founded from the Swedish town of Nyenskans five years earlier.[4] Peter the Great managed, however, to ambush Lewenhaupt's army at Lesnaya before Charles could combine his forces, thus losing valuable supplies, artillery and half of Lewenhaupt's men. Charles' Polish ally, Stanisław Leszczyński, was facing internal problems of his own. Charles expected the support of a massive Cossack rebellion led by Mazepa in Ukraine, with estimates suggesting Mazepa of being able to muster some 40,000 troops, but the Russians subjugated the rebellion and destroyed its capital Baturin before the arrival of the Swedish troops. The harsh climate took its toll as well, as Charles marched his troops for winter camp in Ukraine.

By the time of the decisive Battle of Poltava, Charles had been wounded, one-third of his infantry was dead, and his supply train was destroyed. The king was incapacitated by a coma resulting from his injuries and was unable to lead the Swedish forces. With the numbers of Charles' army reduced to some 23,000, with several wounded and handling the siege of Poltava, his general Carl Gustav Rehnskiöld had a clearly inferior force to face the fortified and modernized army of Tsar Peter, some 45,000. The Swedish assault ended in disaster, and the king fled with a small entourage south to the Ottoman Empire, where he set up camp at Bender with some 1,000 of his Caroleans ("Karoliner" in Swedish). The Swedish defeat at Poltava is considered by some historians to be the point where the downfall of the Swedish Empire was consummated and the Russian Empire was founded. The remainder of the army surrendered days later at Perevolochna under Lewenhaupt's command, most of them (including Lewenhaupt himself) spending the rest of their days in Russian captivity.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-04-08 at 06:14 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    It's because they were jealous and afraid: Soviet army won the war against Hitler and liberated Berlin first. However my country could not be liberated without the help of the US army. Thanks goes to your grandfathers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceboltz View Post
    It's because they were jealous and afraid: Soviet army won the war against Hitler and liberated Berlin first. However my country could not be liberated without the help of the US army. Thanks goes to your grandfathers.
    Why would they be jealous?

Deleted
    Because they wanted to save the world but Russia did.

Deleted
    Russia did not save the world, it was a team effort.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    my brother was stationed in germany several years back and he said it was quite an awesome spectacle to take in. its good to see that instead of just leaving them there to rot that we're actually taking the time to bring them back to the states to reimplemented etc. etc.

when my brother was stationed over there he said they were winding down a lot of programs over there and that it was quite amazing at how much shit they would just leave there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    my brother was stationed in germany several years back and he said it was quite an awesome spectacle to take in. its good to see that instead of just leaving them there to rot that we're actually taking the time to bring them back to the states to reimplemented etc. etc.

when my brother was stationed over there he said they were winding down a lot of programs over there and that it was quite amazing at how much shit they would just leave there.
    Thats because often it is cheaper to buy new kit than to pay to have it shipped back home, tanks being the obvious exception.

Deleted
    Yes, the Alliance from the west and the Red army from the east. Both aiming to be the first to take Berlin and judge Hitler.

Deleted
    I'm not so sure of that... where I'm standing it just seemed we replaced one foreign dictator (Hitler) with another (Stalin). So I wouldn't call the USSR saving the world since... I doubt anyone in Eastern Europe and former USSR countries today will see it as being saved.

Yes, the Alliance from the west and the Red army from the east. Both aiming to be the first to take Berlin and judge Hitler.
    If that was the goal, neither USSR nor USA/UK/France won since they didn't get to judge him.

Russia did not save the world, it was a team effort.
    i'll agree to this. and id have no objection to presenting this argument to my own countrymen that claim we saved the world
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Assuming Russian tanks could ever get there without breaking down or running out of fuel.
    The T90 is a pretty damn decent tank... but yeah the military infrastructure that has to support them isn't great.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2013-04-08 at 08:10 PM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

I have mixed feelings of this. While it's needed with the current state of affairs, one of the best periods of my life was as a young Infantry Officer in a tank division stationed in Germany. Thanks for the memories Deutschland, you're a beautiful country.

10+ Year Old Account
    to be fair the only reason Russia got to Berlin first is because Patton was told by the president to slow down so that they could i cant remember which meeting it was decided that Russia would be able to get their first... maybe Yalta
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Most western europeans tried to conquer Russia and failed, not the other way around.

On topic: When will the American soldiers leave from their two bases in my country? They don't even pay rent...
    That was because of the Scorched Earth Policy that Russians utilized against Hitler and Napoleon. Not something that would really work today.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope we keep some military presence in Germany. The bases there are crazy important from a medical point of view, and it's convenient for joint training and exercises with an ally. Plus I always wanted and hoped to get stationed there. I had a buddy stationed at Landstuhl and she loved it there. She spent every long weekend traveling around Europe, I got sent to a boring CONUS base in the middle of nowhere. I was so jealous.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    It is about time, they are not needed here.
    I'm assuming you're talking about the tanks. But in reference to the soldiers, do you not realize that in the decades those bases have been occupied, the surrounding areas came to rely on the free-flowing income of the US Soldiers stationed there? When we pull out completely, the economy of the surrounding areas is going to just collapse, as their main source of income is now gone.

And while your opinion is just one of millions, do you fail to see that not everybody hates everybody else? I spent a brief time in Stuttgart, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. The German people were friendly as hell, I can't tell you how many nights I spent at local bars getting sloshed with, you guessed it, locals. Most soldiers don't give two shits about the 'major picture', and tend to just focus on their immediate lives. I'm not saying every Soldier and every German there liked each other, but as just as a pair of shoes there on the ground, I was really sad when I had to leave.

While a country may see foreign-occupied bases on their soils as invasion of sorts, you have to think about the positives that also come with it. How better for a country to sympathize with your situation than for them to spend time there? Our foreign bases give our troops a chance to experience those countries, their cultures. Are you tired of closed-minded Americans? Then be sad that these bases are closing down, because future soldiers won't get the chance to experience your country for their own, and will instead form opinions on you based on what they hear from other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.