Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yes, the Soviet menace was a very real threat, the top Brass in command took a lot of convincing the threat was over. Even now we have Generals that still think the Soviets will make a come back.
    Well half the baby boomers haven't figured out that the cold war is over yet . . .
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I'm assuming you're talking about the tanks. But in reference to the soldiers, do you not realize that in the decades those bases have been occupied, the surrounding areas came to rely on the free-flowing income of the US Soldiers stationed there? When we pull out completely, the economy of the surrounding areas is going to just collapse, as their main source of income is now gone.

And while your opinion is just one of millions, do you fail to see that not everybody hates everybody else? I spent a brief time in Stuttgart, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. The German people were friendly as hell, I can't tell you how many nights I spent at local bars getting sloshed with, you guessed it, locals. Most soldiers don't give two shits about the 'major picture', and tend to just focus on their immediate lives. I'm not saying every Soldier and every German there liked each other, but as just as a pair of shoes there on the ground, I was really sad when I had to leave.

While a country may see foreign-occupied bases on their soils as invasion of sorts, you have to think about the positives that also come with it. How better for a country to sympathize with your situation than for them to spend time there? Our foreign bases give our troops a chance to experience those countries, their cultures. Are you tired of closed-minded Americans? Then be sad that these bases are closing down, because future soldiers won't get the chance to experience your country for their own, and will instead form opinions on you based on what they hear from other people.
    It was not meant to be offensive, I simply stated a fact, they are not needed here, that is all. Of course there are positive things through this exchange, though as a matter of fact, I don't trust foreign soldiers on our soil, never have and never will ,no matter what nationality. Politics might change someday.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I'm assuming you're talking about the tanks. But in reference to the soldiers, do you not realize that in the decades those bases have been occupied, the surrounding areas came to rely on the free-flowing income of the US Soldiers stationed there? When we pull out completely, the economy of the surrounding areas is going to just collapse, as their main source of income is now gone.

And while your opinion is just one of millions, do you fail to see that not everybody hates everybody else? I spent a brief time in Stuttgart, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. The German people were friendly as hell, I can't tell you how many nights I spent at local bars getting sloshed with, you guessed it, locals. Most soldiers don't give two shits about the 'major picture', and tend to just focus on their immediate lives. I'm not saying every Soldier and every German there liked each other, but as just as a pair of shoes there on the ground, I was really sad when I had to leave.

While a country may see foreign-occupied bases on their soils as invasion of sorts, you have to think about the positives that also come with it. How better for a country to sympathize with your situation than for them to spend time there? Our foreign bases give our troops a chance to experience those countries, their cultures. Are you tired of closed-minded Americans? Then be sad that these bases are closing down, because future soldiers won't get the chance to experience your country for their own, and will instead form opinions on you based on what they hear from other people.
    I see why he would care about the economy in the area suffering. Why would you care other than some sense of hurt pride that they dont want your soldiers there? All that base is to the US is a funnel of US money into Germany.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    I see why he would care about the economy in the area suffering. Why would you care other than some sense of hurt pride that they dont want your soldiers there? All that base is to the US is a funnel of US money into Germany.
    Not really. Our german bases are a pretty important link on the chain we use to move injured soldiers out of theater in the mideast. Plus the joint exercises and drills that are done, plus how else are we gonna get to qualify for the Schutzenschnur? That thing looks boss on an Army uniform.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yes, the Soviet menace was a very real threat, the top Brass in command took a lot of convincing the threat was over. Even now we have Generals that still think the Soviets will make a come back.
    They're in Brussels now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceboltz View Post
    Because they wanted to save the world but Russia did.
    Russia eliminated an evil, and replaced it with their pitiful communist experiment that did even more damage and killed more people than Hitler did.