WoW - That is unexpected

I just got a new UPS for my computer set up that offers real time power consumption for my computer.

Playing WoW uses around 100W (i.e increases my power from total power from 422 to 528W) - this is just walking around not in raid or anything special.

At 22c per kWHr, that 100W costs me 2.2c/hr to play wow.

I play around 100 hours a month - so that's an extra $2.20 or more to play WoW per month just for the electricity.

Anyone else ever thought about how much electricity companies get from people playing high end video games

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I used to work for a big electric co in nj. Kevin Spacey said it best (yea i know he wasn't the 1st).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWOQYOtd_3c

The amount of crap they get away with and most people have no idea what's going on.
    You cared enough to post.

Deleted
    well i dont know about tom but harry seems to be pretty happy with everything.

You're gonna use up less power playing WoW per month than you would to make a couple milkshakes per week using a blender.

(What was the point of this thread again?)

15+ Year Old Account
    The vampiric drain from just leaving your appliances plugged in when not in use is probably about equal, especially for someone who plays less.

Not really a big deal. Air conditioning (heating or cooling) and some of the other "big" appliances (W/D, water heater) are by far the biggest sources of power consumption in the average home.