Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    i personally dont own any consoles - money is tight, and i have to put it to where i am going to get the most out of it. however im noticing some stuff - basically redundancy on a grand scale. tv's are promising more and more internet capability. a $50 bluray player has all of the same capabilities - you cant hardly even find one that doesnt have all that shit. almost everybody i know that owns consoles own more than 1 - i know no devotees of a specific console. it's just not necessary to have all of the same shit on every damned device, so when i see someone say they would rather a console put it's focus squarely on being the most kickass gaming system possible i can understand it
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

    Same as the old derp.

  2. #42
    I used consoles in the past, but I don't really see the point anymore. I regard them as being for casual gamers. That's fine, but I don't really need it. A Wii sort of thing might be nice when I have friends over.

  3. #43
    The Lightbringer Calzaeth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kopervik, Norway
    Posts
    3,004
    Streaming capabilities: Good.
    Simple NON-INTRUSIVE chatting with friends: Great!

    "Gratz on killing Diablo on inferno MP10! [Share with FB/G+/whatever] [Don't Share]": Fuck no.

    In my opinion, more capabilities are good, but don't try to make my Nintendo a PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Well, I suppose if you're going to burn a bridge, you may as well use lots of gas and make a really impressive fire that everyone will see for miles around.
    Buried Hope by XJ Selman! There is no reason NOT to buy this fantastic sci-fi/dystopian debut for the paltry sum of $.99! And I don't even tend to like sci-fi!

  4. #44
    The Lightbringer Collegeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,247
    I like the idea of consoles and the casual play of a console with a controller. In practice, they are horribly conceived atm for me.

    Working all day next to a computer makes me want to lay on the bed when I come home. I rather play with a controller or a joystick than a keyboard for this reason. The problem is that consoles are horribly structured and networked. Nothing but a bunch of walled gardens that trick chumps into paying high prices for their network and games. I save a lot of money with steam and the service is far superior than anything Microsoft or EA could ever provide. For now, I just plug in a xbox controller into my pc and get the best of both. Plus, the indie games from such an open network are more interesting to me than the spam of fps that is on consoles. I swear that's all I see most the time on consoles is fps.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I used consoles in the past, but I don't really see the point anymore. I regard them as being for casual gamers. That's fine, but I don't really need it. A Wii sort of thing might be nice when I have friends over.
    Can we not go further offtopic by throwing around terms like "casual gamer"?

    A casual gamer to me is someone who would ignore console exclusives purely because they can't play them on a PC, how does that feel?

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 01:21 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    it's just not necessary to have all of the same shit on every damned device, so when i see someone say they would rather a console put it's focus squarely on being the most kickass gaming system possible i can understand it
    I agree, but I don't think anyone has proven that by adding in these additional things they have in any way taken away from focus from the gaming aspects.

    If you can prove that netflix on my Xbox is somehow affecting its capacity to play games then I will agree with you. Otherwise, why not have it?

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 01:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    For now, I just plug in a xbox controller into my pc and get the best of both.
    Not to be pedantic but, wouldn't owning both be getting the best of both? It's not like consoles are really expensive at the moment (assuming there were any games you wanted to play on them, if not then thats fine) - I think Xbox is like 200$AU or less.

  6. #46
    Typically what happens in the business world is that a company starts out with a core vision and service. But sometimes they attempt to branch out into various other fields. The risk is that an upstart competitor can enter the market, focus solely on the core service, and begin to steal market share. Sometimes you even see established companies begin to sell off divisions to get back to their roots and core business before they aren't the market leader anymore.

    So in this case, a video game company decides it wants branch out and offer social media, DVD, music, etc. That might come at the cost of longer development time and higher prices. So let's say they have to price it at $500. That has the potential to create an opening for an upstart "hardcore" gaming company to enter the market offering a gaming machine that just plays video games for a much cheaper price. They might offer a gaming machine for $150. And if they catch lightning in a bottle, grow to be popular and get big, they can displace the other company. The bigger gaming company may be forced to make a choice - either start selling off the other assets and refocus on making video games only, or get out of the video game business and become a social media destination.

    Then you have the interesting example of Google vs Microsoft. Microsoft specializes in PC software. Google specializes in a search engine. Google begins to branch out and enter the software wars with Chrome OS and Google Docs. Chrome OS and Google Docs is CLEARLY an attempt to displace Microsoft as the leading software maker. They are starting small, but aiming big. It may take years to get there but that's where they are trying to go. Microsoft, on the other hand, attempts to enter the search wars with Bing. Bing is an attempt to displace and destroy Google. Who wins? I don't know.

    It is likely to be one or the other because there really is no other major competition in both search and office software. Perhaps they will merge at some point and become Googlesoft or MicroGoog.

  7. #47
    Pit Lord breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    2,334
    my problem with it is when it gets to the point where thats all microsoft/sony focuses on and ignores everything else. otherwise i dont care what they put in their machines.
    as long as its not invading my privacy. im starting to get worried with all the talk of kinect and microsoft starting to dedicate entire development companies to making only kinect games and nothing else. looking in your direction rare.

  8. #48
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    Not to be pedantic but, wouldn't owning both be getting the best of both? It's not like consoles are really expensive at the moment (assuming there were any games you wanted to play on them, if not then thats fine) - I think Xbox is like 200$AU or less.
    By best of both he means he does not get games look like shit but can play them with a 360 controller.

    anyway lol "next gen". My computer is 2 years old and kicks the ps4 in the balls and its not even out yet.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  9. #49
    Brewmaster Olianda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,258
    Social media is the thing to do these days. There's no evidence that a company having a Facebook page boost business or anything, but that doesn't stop them from being made.

    They're trying to appeal to a broader range of people, but they're losing focus on the original customers. Think about all the people playing things like Farmville, they want to attract those kind of people to bring in more money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    By best of both he means 1 he does not get games look like shit 2 but can play them with a 360 controller.

    anyway lol "next gen" 3. My computer is 2 years old and kicks the ps4 in the balls 4 and its not even out yet. 5
    1. I know what he meant.

    2. "look like shit" is so subjective. Half your games are ports which look very similar, if not identical to console. Also if you play games based on looks alone then I weep for you.

    3. "next gen" doesn't refer solely to hardware capability.

    4. No one is forcing you to play pc OR console, everyone is free to play both.

    5. I'm really sick of people pushing this PC vs. Console shit and derailing any topic which mentions the word "console". People play games on PC. People play games on console. Deal with it.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 04:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Olianda View Post
    but they're losing focus on the original customers.
    Says who? Care to elaborate?
    Last edited by Luciferiuz; 2013-04-08 at 06:06 AM.

  11. #51
    It depends on if it's well-executed. Hell, I can imagine some cases in which the PS4 controller's "share" button may actually be useful to me. Maybe not all the time, but it does seem practical and doesn't really come at a cost. There's nothing preventing anyone from using their console as just a console, either. I highly doubt that any of the social media aspects will be mandatory.

    As for consoles vs PC, just go full idort like any sane person and buy every console and a good PC, and you're set. Just exclude any system without exclusives that interest you, if you want to cut the list down. I'd never dream of playing any multiplat game on anything other than PC unless convenience demanded it, yet I still have plenty of reasons to own every console, save perhaps for the 360.

  12. #52
    I am Murloc! Airwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia! G-day Mate!... (We don't really speak like that)
    Posts
    5,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    4. No one is forcing you to play pc OR console, everyone is free to play both.
    They can play both. Still does not change the fact that console looks like shit for most games. And FYI i play games for the story, not the game play or the graphics. Does not stop me from commenting on graphics. I also have 70+ games on (each) both PC and Console, and have played 100+ on Console so my comments are valid. I like both, does not mean they are both even.

    Consoles are bullshit anyway all they will do its hold back games like they have for the last 10 years. They could fix this by making them a worthy competitor with PC but they are tight asses on the tech they put in them so they are outdated in less then a year. They are more worried about having facebook enabled then worrying about how well they will play games in 5+ years.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-04-08 at 06:20 AM.
    Angels and Airwaves
    Aldmeri Dominion - Imperial - Templar - Laethys - High Elf - Assassin - Frostmourne - Orc - Rogue - Sea of Sorrows - Norn - Thief
    Borderlands 2 - Mechromancer - Battlefield 4 - Engineer - Diablo 3 - Wizard

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    They can play both. Still does not change the fact that console looks like shit for most games. And FYI i play games for the story, not the game play or the graphics. Does not stop me from commenting on graphics. I also have 70+ games on (each) both PC and Console, and have played 100+ on Console so my comments are valid. I like both, does not mean they are both even.
    I'm not saying your comments aren't valid, if anything they are just misleading. You are welcome to your opinion that most console games look like shit, I'm just not sure how accurate it is for most people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Next gen is bullshit all they will do its hold back games like they have for the last 10 years. They could fix this by making them worthy of competitor with PC by they are tight asses on the tech they put in them so they are outdated in less then a year.
    This whole tangent comes off a little ignorant. The reason consoles aren't competitive with PC is because PC can be constantly updated, consoles are stuck in vacuum until a new console is released. This ofcourse is also the appeal of consoles, as you know that when you buy a game it will work and you wont have to update your driver/get a new videocard/run a virus scan/fix your flash. There are appeals to both (and games exclusive to both).

    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    They are more worried about having facebook enabled then worrying about how well they will play games in 5+ years.
    I don't see any evidence that this is the case. Enabling faceboook (hyperbole aside) isn't exactly difficult.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 04:23 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Eats Compost View Post
    As for consoles vs PC, just go full idort like any sane person and buy every console and a good PC, and you're set. Just exclude any system without exclusives that interest you, if you want to cut the list down. I'd never dream of playing any multiplat game on anything other than PC unless convenience demanded it, yet I still have plenty of reasons to own every console, save perhaps for the 360.
    Watch out. Console threads are a dangerous place for common sense.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    They can play both. Still does not change the fact that console looks like shit for most games. And FYI i play games for the story, not the game play or the graphics. Does not stop me from commenting on graphics. I also have 70+ games on (each) both PC and Console, and have played 100+ on Console so my comments are valid. I like both, does not mean they are both even.

    Consoles are bullshit anyway all they will do its hold back games like they have for the last 10 years. They could fix this by making them a worthy competitor with PC but they are tight asses on the tech they put in them so they are outdated in less then a year. They are more worried about having facebook enabled then worrying about how well they will play games in 5+ years.
    I hate to tell you this, but consoles have the specs that they do because that's what the market demands. You could say "a million flies can't be wrong", but if each of those flies is brandishing $200, they really can't be wrong. At the end of the day, consoles exist in the forms that they do because people want them and that's what sells. And, quite frankly, 720p and inferior graphics aren't enough to ruin a game unless you're one hell of a purist. Even then, it's only to your detriment to ignore them.

    From a commercial standpoint, future-proofing consoles against PCs six years into the future just isn't practical. There isn't some kind of money-grubbing conspiracy behind this.

  15. #55
    Mechagnome Icaras's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    665
    Well....I use my PS3 more as a Bluray/DVD player than for playing games. Makes me a little sad sometimes, but then I remember that I'm a WoWhead.... :P

    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

  16. #56
    Titan Themius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    11,769
    Quote Originally Posted by link4117 View Post
    And that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to talk about at all? I'm talking about consoles. I know what a computer is and they do too. Which is part of my point, why are they trying to incorporate social media so much. I don't understand what your point is.
    You're talking about consoles and you don't expect PCs to come up? Are you serious right now lol?

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 07:54 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Do we really need to make this into ANOTHER PC vs Console derp fest.
    Each is great for there own respective reasons, if you cant respect that then go find one of the threads in which it has been debated to death on which is better and try not to derail this thread
    What are those "respective" reasons lol....

    I don't use consoles, not since ps3. I mostly play everything on PC because it's just better.
    Last edited by Themius; 2013-04-08 at 11:55 AM.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    when you buy a game it will work and you wont have to update your driver/get a new videocard/run a virus scan/fix your flash. There are appeals to both (and games exclusive to both).
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    Watch out. Console threads are a dangerous place for common sense.
    Yeah... I can see why.


    Ontopic :
    I'm a PC gamer and I can see this becoming useful for a great deal of people out there that spend their time making videos to show gameplay. Letting the console record and upload videos for you is probably a huge timesaver and making it easier for people to upload gameplay videos makes it better for us gamers to choose a game you'll like.

    ps :
    Luciferiuz, one of your points on a previous page about exclusive games for consoles is just wrong and shows how little you know about pc's.
    An Apple fanboy called me a retard.
    In the real world that makes me a genius.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by link4117 View Post
    And that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to talk about at all? I'm talking about consoles. I know what a computer is and they do too. Which is part of my point, why are they trying to incorporate social media so much. I don't understand what your point is.
    Because they see Facebook and think "Hey, we can do this!"

  19. #59
    I feel the reason why console makers are trying to push to make gaming consoles more then just for games is to get a bigger share of the market and to justify charging $300 and up for a toy. The goal is to make the console an important part of a family's entertainment choice not just that of a console gamer. Now there are people that will argue that computers can do the same thing but outside of tech geeks most people do not have their computers in a place were it could be easily connected to their tv. Plus the fact that computing can be more expensive, if you look at the price of the initial gaming rig set up, than that of console gaming so it would be cheaper for a family on a budget to look at a console over a computer to be part of their entertainment hub.

    In the end making console for man than gaming is about increasing revenue and playing on the fact that most people spend a large part of their day connected to computers. Consoles would allow people to "disconnect" while still being connected enough to enjoy the internet.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by link4117 View Post
    And that has nothing to do with what I'm trying to talk about at all? I'm talking about consoles. I know what a computer is and they do too. Which is part of my point, why are they trying to incorporate social media so much. I don't understand what your point is.
    The point is, I think, is that they are going and adding in all these things and at the end of the day they are selling consumers a middle of the line PC with limited functionality. Save your money, hook your PC up yo your flat screen spend that PS4 money on a good Vcard and do not look back IMO.

    Also small lol at ANY console EVER being an "absolutely monster gaming machine". As I said at best you spend 400-500 dollars and get a middle of the line machine.

    ---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 09:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    You must be incredibly intelligent to have come up with the same response which appears in every single console thread all by yourself.


    2. There are exclusive games on EVERY platform; you are literally missing out on games by playing only on PC
    3. Nobody here is trying to/wants to argue consoles vs. PC because the entire premise is flawed
    First point is moot because there are FAR more PC exclusives than console exclusives.

    More now than ever, I believe, PC vs Console is a relevant topic, as consoles move closer to just being straight up PCs with less functionality (gated from the user by the built in OS). I see less and less point in buying a console. Unless it is for ONE specific exclusive, for me personally no single game is worth that purchase.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •