Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    The US system is a lot different to the European system. Here you register for a degree and everything is set, you don't deviate or change majors really or choose modules, so you can't really take any longer than the 3 years.
    Doesn't sound like it's diffrent, you have 3 years (bachler) here aswell, set in stone, and you need to reapply with (A-B) grades (depends on what) to go another 2years (Master), and apply again for PhD (5years). So total of 10 years if you want to be the "best". There are ofc some that you apply into a "set in stone" 5years (bachlor and master) etc.
    But anyway the guy you quoted is from (Houston, Texas, USA)! Not EU^^
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aspect of Death View Post
    Doesn't sound like it's diffrent, you have 3 years (bachler) here aswell, set in stone, and you need to reapply with (A-B) grades (depends on what) to go another 2years (Master), and apply again for PhD (5years). So total of 10 years if you want to be the "best". There are ofc some that you apply into a "set in stone" 5years (bachlor and master) etc.
    James Tiberius Kirk is from the UK I believe. And Iowa.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I know Reeve is from the US which is why I said that his circumstances may not necessarily translate to those of the OP, which is from EU.

Best way to avoid your definition of mediocrity is just to work very hard and be able to travel and enjoy your work. Maybe start a family at some point as that can change things up.

Deleted
    I understand where you're coming from.

I'm labouring away on night shifts, and see people there who are proud to work there (a well known retail outlet). I don't understand how people can do that job for most of their lives. A job that consists of unboxing and putting an item on the shelf. Surely people have more ambition? I don't despise them, I just don't understand them.

The thing I take comfort out of, is I would never allow myself to be comfortable. I'm always looking for new jobs, always re-evaluating my life and researching new opportunities and this is the reason why I don't fear what you do. Simply, I would never allow it to happen. Although it is made harder due to the lack of jobs right now.

That saying 'The world is yours' is 100% correct. You can do whatever the fuck you want. You just need the mindset.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question for you would be, are you happy now? are you happy with doing what you are doing now, and do you want to do that for the rest of your life? Honestly money isn't everything.
    ofc I'm happy, the discussion was more in the way of all the "you need a better job, go to college!" people. My country has a pretty "low" college score, only 20% of the students go to college/university, which is all good, because 80% of the jobs in this country don't need college degrees.

And it kind of makes me sad that some people here use the word "poor", I have no high school diploma or higher education, and still making ~ 65'000$ a year, in a job where I'm happy. Even if I would find the urge to go to university right now, I wouldn't probably find a direction that I'm happy with.

Deleted
    I get the impression OP that you just spend all your time indoors playing video games, and this fear of amounting to nothing comes from that.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    I know Reeve is from the US which is why I said that his circumstances may not necessarily translate to those of the OP, which is from EU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    James Tiberius Kirk is from the UK I believe.
    I see^^

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    ofc I'm happy, the discussion was more in the way of all the "you need a better job, go to college!" people. My country has a pretty "low" college score, only 20% of the students go to college/university, which is all good, because 80% of the jobs in this country don't need college degrees.

And it kind of makes me sad that some people here use the word "poor", I have no high school diploma or higher education, and still making ~ 65'000$ a year, in a job where I'm happy. Even if I would find the urge to go to university right now, I wouldn't probably find a direction that I'm happy with.
    Aha, well there is no point in going to university if you are happy with what you are doing now. Where are you from?.

People will always think they are better than others, so just ignore them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are you from?.

People will always think they are better than others, so just ignore them.
    Switzerland, and if they feel they can look down on me, in most cases I know they are not better than me

Most STEM degrees take 4-5 years, depending on internship programs (some are 6 months and run into the quarter/semester). Some of them are pretty easy and can be done in less time, but if it's a standard STEM degree from a good school 3 years is really going to be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Switzerland, and if they feel they can look down on me, in most cases I know they are not better than me
    In all cases!

People didn't respect me before when i didn't have a diploma/higher education either, but that all changed once i moved to Norway to study, or people in Norway are not as judgemental.. Except my nabour hate me because im french (I think).

Didn't know Switzerland had so low amount of "degrees" though, sounds like a great place to live^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't know Switzerland had so low amount of "degrees" though, sounds like a great place to live^^
    There is a tendency for more people with college education, but imho that's mostly because of parts of society are like "you need secondary/tertiary education!". while when I was in school, people just tried to figure out what you want to do with your life. In most cases people are happy with "mediocre" ( ) job.

Out of my family and my generation (cousins and stuff) only 2 out of 12 have college education. (there need to be one more, we are lowering the statistics!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    The life you had being rich and living in a rich society is a very small small small part of what the actual world is represented by. You need to re-evaluate what your standards of mediocrity by:

Growing up
    Actually seeing the world for what it is, not through the tinted glasses your wearing
    Live the hard life of "us" mediocre people have to go through

When you go through this and mature up a bit, you'll start to realize that people do the things they do not always because their stagnant, but because of their life situation
    pretty much this.
    I know people that gave up a good stable wealthy life, one of them was actually a MD, and now they take it easy , earn 50% less or more but enjoy every single day...walking their dogs on the beach, simple pleasures in life.
    It sounds like you care more about how other people perceive you, with age you will learn to say fuck everyone, and if some of those people are your friends, get new ones.

Deleted
    Read books. Write poetry. Make good art. Express yourself.
    Being or becoming rich isnt going to make someone any less mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Drogbadodo View Post
    but mediocrity terrifies me.
    As well it should. Although not in the way that you seem to be implying it. No one should ever just 'settle', especially if they can help it. Go big or go home. Get in better shape. Learn something new. Make some money. Don't. Settle.

10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation

Ah, to be 20 again and think like this again. The reality is that we're all pretty mediocre, even the very successful. You're born, you grow up, you grow old, you die. Rather than worrying about financial mediocrity (which is really all you're railing against,) figure out how to live a life that fulfills you. I went to an Ivy, so I know a lot of people who you wouldn't consider "medicore." When we were in school everyone was money money money, ibank med school law school. You know what those people care about 10 years later? Family, friends, and living life. Money is nice, but it's only worthwhile if it helps you live the life you want.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

People who only judge you by your income aren't worth your time anyway. There's a lot to life, and there's not that much to money. Sure, having lots of money is nice... But to be honest: What you do in life is not as important as what you can mean for others. What you earn in life is not as important as what you can do for others. It's who you are that's important. What you have is little more than a perk. A great perk, sure, but as long as you have access to base luxuries like the internet and games without having to feel like you need to sacrifice base luxuries.

Just ask yourself: Does having an expensive car and a huge house really make you happy?

Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    pretty much this.
    I know people that gave up a good stable wealthy life, one of them was actually a MD, and now they take it easy , earn 50% less or more but enjoy every single day...walking their dogs on the beach, simple pleasures in life.
    It sounds like you care more about how other people perceive you, with age you will learn to say fuck everyone, and if some of those people are your friends, get new ones.
    /raises hand

I'm one of those people.

I had a job I absolutely LOVED - working in the Video Gaming bizz, ect - making LOTS of cash! But then, as the years went on - I realize all i did was work. What was worse - it was EXPECTED of me to put in the ridiculous hours of my life. To not have a social life or to explore the world.

What happens to most who get that prize job with tons of money is that they end up working the majority of the time, so when they're off - they feel compelled to spend that money. The usual mantra goes "I work hard, so I play hard!". But what happens is frightening... your need to reinforce your lifestyle gets you to buy more and more things, and thus you increase the dependency on your happiness involving perpetual additions of crap.

Eventually you'll move into a mansion you can barely afford (thus forcing you into your job salary bracket - no flexibility). And after you buy the mansion you're there now sitting in the mansion. It feels good fora while, but then you get used to it. Soon you'll invite others whose houses aren't as big as yours... and when that wears off you'll start replacing your furniture because it "doesn't go with the house"... and then the car doesn't go with the house... eventually you'll conclude that the Spouse doesn't go with the house, ect...

It's an endless trap that I (thankfully) discovered early on. When you discover to be happy with ENOUGH, your life will be so much more rewarding. And do NOT believe saying "I have enough" is, in any way, "mediocrity" - I now have the freedom to do what I want. I can go to a forest preserve and do my job remotely. If I choose to, I can call up a resort today and book a weekend - just for fun. None of the department heads or producers I know can do that... they're trapped. They can't control their lives as their possessions depend on them making XYZ amounts of money, thus increases stress levels, thus increases the need for spending to feel good about it, and it becomes an endless cycle until you're either barking mad or in divorce courts... which usually leads to you also being barking mad. :P

Now, making lots of money isn't a bad thing (I'm a fan of it myself!) - but realize the $$ figure is NOT worth giving up your life experiences over. When you pay all your stuff off (small house, car, credit cards, ect) - you have so little expenses that ANY job will make you live well. You could live like a king if you were a basic software designer...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yeah, and as an addendum to what I just said: most high earners need to work incredibly demanding schedules. Most of the high end ibankers, lawyers, docs, and execs I know regularly work 60 to 70 hours a week. So, you might get to go to the Caymans twice a year but you're never away from your job. Only celebrities and the idle rich live the kind of life you're imaging.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 08:58 PM ----------

Looks like mvallas beat me to it!
    Last edited by Beavis; 2013-04-08 at 09:01 PM.
    When survival is the goal, it's into the spider hole!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been poor my whole life and can keep myself entertained with very little.