1. #1
    Stood in the Fire zanexlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    382

    Resil/PvP power/damage

    Hey.

    I'm just looking for a short answer or confirmation about how this works.
    Yup, I've read several guides and explanations about it, but my brain's kind of mush atm, it's currently doing its own thing.

    Okay, to the point.
    I'm a Rogue. I just re-gemmed from full-out PvP power to a more defensive layout.
    I went from 54% PvP power/61% resil to 44% PvP power/65.37% resil.'

    I just decided to try this out after I checked out the Rogue guide on AJ, and saw this:
    Resilience scales slower than in patch 5.1. Going from full resilience gems to matching socket bonusses and focus on PvP Power increases damage done by about 6.5% but also means the rogue takes 12% more damage.
    I know everyone's got different gear, and the guy who wrote that might base it off BiS gear or w/e. But how the hell does 10% PvP power equal 6.5%-ish damage output? Or ~5% resil equal 12% dmg reduction?

    I'm quite off atm, and I should probably figure this out on my own when I'm a bit more lucid, but yeah.

    Anyway, could anyone give me a quick little answer here?

    Thanks.
    Yes, we are an ape with a symbiotic relationship to a mushroom.

  2. #2
    a armory would be the right start. did you still gem for pvp power sockets? or just plain 320 pvp resili gems?

  3. #3
    Stood in the Fire zanexlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    382
    Yes, we are an ape with a symbiotic relationship to a mushroom.

  4. #4
    I don't really understand your question.
    You read a guide in which someone regems from full resilience and says he's got 6,5% more damage and takes 12% more damage (without mentioning the absolute values and/or his item level).
    You then do the almost exact opposite - regemming from full pvp power - and relate your numbers specifically to the guide's numbers.
    So essentially you don't have the same gear and you don't do the same thing and you wonder why the numbers differ?

    Additionally your mentioning "Or ~5% resil equal 12% dmg reduction?" makes me think that you don't know how resilience works. You are aware of the fact that 5% more resilience doesn't equal 5% more damage reduce, are you?

  5. #5
    Stood in the Fire zanexlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipostylor View Post
    I don't really understand your question.
    Looks that way.
    Additionally your mentioning "Or ~5% resil equal 12% dmg reduction?" makes me think that you don't know how resilience works. You are aware of the fact that 5% more resilience doesn't equal 5% more damage reduce, are you?
    Of course I'm aware of it. Why'd you think I created this thread in the first place?
    Yes, we are an ape with a symbiotic relationship to a mushroom.

  6. #6
    So then what's the matter of this thread? You compare two people with two different gear levels doing two different things and wonder why the numbers differ. They differ because you have different gear and doing different things...
    And if you would know how resilience works why would you write something like how does 5% resil equal 12% damage reduction? If you go from 60% to 65% dmg reduction you take 12,5% less damage, which is like a really basic example and equals almost exactly to what you don't seem to understand.

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire zanexlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipostylor View Post
    If you go from 60% to 65% dmg reduction you take 12,5% less damage, which is like a really basic example and equals almost exactly to what you don't seem to understand.
    What's with your english comprehension? Did you even read the OP?

    I wanted to know how the guy's rationalizing, how and with what it's scaling - without having to read a book about it.
    Just a short, simple answer.
    Yes, we are an ape with a symbiotic relationship to a mushroom.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    What's with your english comprehension? Did you even read the OP?

    I wanted to know how the guy's rationalizing, how and with what it's scaling - without having to read a book about it.
    Just a short, simple answer.
    Still not sure what exactly you want to know. How and with what what is scaling? PVP Power and Resilience?
    PVP Power is just every 265 1% more dmg. 10% more PVP power (2650 pvp power rating) is 10% more damage.
    And 100 more resilience is 1,42% more effective health. The damage reduction % part doesn't scale linearly though like you said you know.
    Point for point resilience is considerably stronger. So if two people with the same class/spec/gear/skill etc. duel each other and one gems full resilience and the other full pvp power the one with resilience wins because he has more % damage reduction than the other one has improved % damage.

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire zanexlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipostylor View Post
    Still not sure what exactly you want to know. How and with what what is scaling? PVP Power and Resilience?
    PVP Power is just every 265 1% more dmg. 10% more PVP power (2650 pvp power rating) is 10% more damage.
    And 100 more resilience is 1,42% more effective health. The damage reduction % part doesn't scale linearly though like you said you know.
    Point for point resilience is considerably stronger. So if two people with the same class/spec/gear/skill etc. duel each other and one gems full resilience and the other full pvp power the one with resilience wins because he has more % damage reduction than the other one has improved % damage.
    Thanks man.
    Yes, we are an ape with a symbiotic relationship to a mushroom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •