Despite all your ideas about me because of my noobish thread title, I'm not new to theorycraft, I'm not new to simcraft, or any of the like. I swear I've never claimed to be top-notch but I'd like to think I'm not bottom barrel either. I'm going to try and keep this from being "another one of those threads /rolleyes" as much as I can.
For the past couple weeks I've been trying to compare the following in different situations on test dummies and dungeons and LFR when I have the extra time to run one, but due to so many different variables that could affect the numbers I see that are already so close together, its really hard to take anything I see into any kind of consideration:
GoSup Fel Imp
I get that on paper GoSup Observer deals the highest dps, but because pets don't scale well with stats GoSac eventually overtakes it at a certain ilvl threshold. That's fine, whatever. Aside from scaling, GoSac is said to deal higher dps when your MG uptime is really high (i.e.: on fights where you rarely if ever have to switch targets or do anything besides keep MG up). Thanks to KJC, movement has very little effect on you MG uptime as well.
And I get the fine details in Simcraft that slip through the cracks such as Fel Imp being better than Observer for target switching and high movement fights because Observer loses alot of dps wandering around to each target you switch to.
So that leaves us with this, a list of fights that either (a)have alot of target switching or (b)have extremely high MG uptime.
1. Jinrohk - No target switching, huge MG uptime. Pets don't benefit from puddles. You might get more dps up time while dodging orbs with pet, but that's debatable. OVERALL: GoSac
2. Horridon - Massive target switching, and movement. Pet helps knock back pink dinosaur. Low to Med MG Uptime. OVERALL: GoSup Imp.
3. Council - Target switching between spaced out targets, and movement. Low to Med MG Uptime. OVERALL: GoSup Imp
4. Tortos - Light Target switching between spaced out targets, massive movement. Moderate MG uptime. OVERALL: GoSup Observer or Fel Imp.
5. Megaera - Light target switching, light movement. High MG Uptime. OVERALL: GoSac
6. Ji-Kun - (adds) heavy target switching, heavy movement, very low MG uptime. OVERALL: GoSup Imp. (boss) low movement, extremely high MG Uptime. OVERALL: GoSac.
7. Durumu - Low to heavy movement, very high MG uptime. OVERALL: GoSac.
8. Primordius - Low movement, heavy target switching. Very high MG uptime when dps matters. OVERALL: GoSup Imp or GoSac.
9. Dark Animus - Pets cause glitches with adds, GoSac DEFAULT.
10. Iron Qon - Heavy movement, very high MG Uptime. OVERALL: GoSac
11. Twin Consorts - Moderate Movement, Moderate to High MG Uptime. OVERALL: GoSup Observer or GoSac
12. Lei Shen - Heavy Movement, high MG uptime. OVERALL: GoSac.
GoSup Observer: 2 half points (both fights its viable in, according to my analysis, there's another viable solution for)
GoSup Imp: 2 points and 3 half points
GoSac: 6 points and 2 half points
I'm sure there's something I'm not seeing here, but after alot of analysis I honestly can't figure out what the missing element is. Where is Observer's usefulness? Where exactly does its popularity come from, I really don't see a fight this tier its best suited for, anything without target switching is going to have high enough MG uptime to make GoSac more efficient. Please help me with my foolishness : )