Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Microphone / System sound Issue

Hello

I have tried endlessly to fix this problem and cannot find an answer.

My computer specs

Ram - Corsair 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance Memory

Mobo - Asus P8Z77-V LX2 Motherboard

CPU - i5-3570K CPU (4 x 3.40GHz)

PSU - Corsair CP-9020061-UK CXM Builder series 750W Hybrid Modular

Gamecon Plantronics - Headset.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Okay so time to explain the issue.

This is a fresh install of Windows 7 64 BIT, I have installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard and used driver genius for the rest i have everything installed.

When i was setting up Skype / Team speak i was told by friends they couldn't hear my voice i then began to shout "very loudly" and they said it sounded like i was whispering i did all the usual checking if cables where plugged in, uninstalling and re installing of Audio software but nothing worked.

I then went into my Recording devices and i littler-ally have too shout for the green bar on my microphone to go up one bit. I have the microphone output at 100%. I noticed i could use the "Microphone boost" when i put it anything past 0 i get a static noise that gets louder the higher i put the dB's. I turned on the playback so i could hear it in my headset and the static noise is far too loud its like gale force winds at 30 dB's.

So after tweaking with stuff and changing from my front to back audio jacks, Now any time i plug in the microphone "Pink" the hissing /Static sound comes back consistent and i cannot get rid of it. I tried uninstalling and re-installing but nothing has changed.

These are my current settings, At the moment i do not have my Mic jack "pink" plugged in so i am not getting the static sound and i can hear everything perfectly. As soon as i plug it in the noise comes back.

Please Help

TLR - Microphone settings at max , still sounds like I'm whispering. When i turn on microphone boost a very loud static/wind noise comes through the speakers. Need help.

Have you tried both front and back audio connectors?

Tried with everything on the "enhancements" tab turned off?

Does the static noise change at all if you twist and turn the microphone cable?

The "levels" tab should be optimally set so that the microphone level is somewhere around 80 and boost is 2/3 up the scale.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know this sounds like a real dumb question but...

Is your microphone muted? I mean on the dongle with volume control and the mute mic switch on your headset cable. Because that's pretty much what this sounds like.

As suggested try disabling enhancements under the enhancement tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Is your microphone muted? I mean on the dongle with volume control and the mute mic switch on your headset cable. Because that's pretty much what this sounds like.
    Yep, this too. I had Plantronics Gamecom 777 previously, and if you had mic muted from the volume controller thingy on the cable, it would leak a bit if shouting. Doesn't explain the noise though, but that could easily come from having the microphone volume set to max and/or from the enhancement tab thingies.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Hey, Cheers for the replies. Logitech S220 PC Multimedia Speaker System 2.1 Channel 17

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Have you tried both front and back audio connectors?

Tried with everything on the "enhancements" tab turned off?

Does the static noise change at all if you twist and turn the microphone cable?

The "levels" tab should be optimally set so that the microphone level is somewhere around 80 and boost is 2/3 up the scale.
    I have tried both the front and back connectors with the same result. I have Logitech S220 PC Multimedia Speaker System 2.1 Channel 17, Iv'e plugged my headset into the connector on them. No the sound doesn't change if i move the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    I know this sounds like a real dumb question but...

:P , I'm sure its not that as i said before if i shout sound comes through like a whisper.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 10:42 PM ----------

Logitech S220 PC Multimedia Speaker System 2.1 Channel 17 - These are my speakers they come with a connector for my Microphone and my Headset. I plug them in and the sound is fine no static, The microphone is very very low with a hissing sound. When i turn on the microphone boost the sound gets louder and is no way bearable.

If i plug my Microphone jack into the front panel the static sound comes out the speakers. Same with the back Jack. I.e - Without the microphone jack in the front or back there is no static sound.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janto View Post

:P , I'm sure its not that as i said before if i shout sound comes through like a whisper.
    Hardware mic muting isnt usually perfect. Mine bleeds through when i mute it. So does practically every headset i've seen.

But if you checked it, and it's not muted, then it may be a bad mic. I know of a few settings that would cause it not to work at all, but not cause hissing, crackling, and quietness.

Have you tried the headset plugged directly into PC without the speakers connected at all? Maybe the static you're hearing is the microphone picking feedback loop from the speakers?
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you tried the headset plugged directly into PC without the speakers connected at all? Maybe the static you're hearing is the microphone picking feedback loop from the speakers?
    Hmm, good point.

Could go into the Realtek HD Audio manager > Microphone > and turn down Playback volume to minimum.

Deleted
    Okay, Headset is plugged into the back of the Computer. If i put the dB up to 30 the static is really bad, If i mute the microphone it goes away. When the dB is at 0 there is no static, although you can not really hear me speak unless i shout.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 11:04 PM ----------

This is ofcourse with the playback volume up so i know what others will hear through my mic.

At this point I'd say try the headset on a different computer, you can use for example free Audacity to record anything from the mic to see what it picks up outside skype/vent/ts.

If you still can't get it working, there's high chance that the mic is broken.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Okay, So far i have managed to stop the feedback " i think" Now with my current settings the microphone has to be in my mouth ffs for it to sound proper.

This is with the the volume at 100% and dB at 10. I can't change otherwise the bad static/feedback will come back.

Really stuck now.

---------- Post added 2013-04-09 at 11:19 PM ----------

At this point I'd say try the headset on a different computer, you can use for example free Audacity to record anything from the mic to see what it picks up outside skype/vent/ts.

If you still can't get it working, there's high chance that the mic is broken.
    Hey, I used audacity and when i speak i can only hear myself slightly.. So if i shout its a bit better and if the microphones in my mouth "lol" it sounds reasonable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Try to increase the microphone boost in the mic properties.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Try to increase the microphone boost in the mic properties.
    This is with the the volume at 100% and dB at 10. I can't change otherwise the bad static/feedback will come back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure seems like your mic is bad to me.

Last think you could do is try setting mic volume to 30 and DB gain to 20, which is what mine are set to.

Otherwise, theres a high chance it's a bad mic.

Deleted
    Okay, The microphone / Headset has been tested on two other machines and the microphone works fine.

I'm seriously lost for ideas. Iv'e tried front audio , Back. Still fucked.

10+ Year Old Account
    saw in your pictures that microphone boost is on 0 try increase it and see what happens.

Also sounds like your mobo's sound card took a nosedive and died when you made a fresh install.. can happen, sucks though.

Try buy or borrow a friends external sound card and plug it in too see if that is the case.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    saw in your pictures that microphone boost is on 0 try increase it and see what happens.

Also sounds like your mobo's sound card took a nosedive and died when you made a fresh install.. can happen, sucks though.

Try buy or borrow a friends external sound card and plug it in too see if that is the case.

It was a brand new build mate, If i was to buy a USB Headset would all my problems go away? Instead of all this madness.

Also, At the moment its temperamental if i move the boost slider up and down sometimes the static noise goes away lol... depressing ...

At this point I'd guess the soundcard on your motherboard is broken or you have some really fucked up driver problem. You could try completely eradicating the current drivers and try to reinstall it, preferably different version (newer or older) just in case.

Or you could get decent low cost soundcard to replace the buggy onboard audio. There are no guarantees this will fix it either, but since the mic is proven to work, it should clear any possible problems you're otherwise having. DG and DGX are basically same card, just plugged into different expansions slots on the motherboard. Check inside your computer which type of slots are free and/or easier to access. DG version was 5€ cheaper here which is why I picked that one.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Well its not a sound card, i'ts on board sound i am using. Buying a Sound card and installing its drivers will fix my problem?

Also, If i was to buy a USB Headset would that work also?