Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Have you ever tried online dating?

As a woman, I haven't had much luck on it. Not because i'm not attractive but because the guys are idiots. I've never talked to anyone about my trial and errors on the online dating community though. Have you ever tried it? What did you think? And also, do you disclose that you play World of Warcraft?

To clarify, by online dating. I meant dating websites and not necessarily on WoW.
    Last edited by Demolocklol; 2013-04-13 at 07:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thought you mean website not on WoW lol. I don't mostly because chances finding someone I like and I can enjoy with is...limited.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never tried it, but I have heard good things about it. I do play WoW, but am just not interested in online dating. A thing I saw about it to remember though is it is really just like real life, you have to dig through a bunch of crap to find people worth dating.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

I did mean websites :P like plenty of fish, okcupid, match.com. etc.

Online dating generally sucks. I met my gf on WoW so I guess its similar. If you can't find someone over the games you play then just get out into the world and date. An attractive women should have little to no problems finding a man easily in real life. Can't really see a scenario were it would be Better for an attractive women to go to an online site rather then meet people in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Online dating generally sucks. I met my gf on WoW so I guess its similar. If you can't find someone over the games you play then just get out into the world and date. An attractive women should have little to no problems finding a man easily in real life. Can't really see a scenario were it would be Better for an attractive women to go to an online site rather then meet people in person.
    For me personally, my standards are very high. ;_;. It's easier to get to know someone online and get a very good character of how they are before you meet them.

Quote Originally Posted by Demolocklol View Post
    For me personally, my standards are very high. ;_;. It's easier to get to know someone online and get a very good character of how they are before you meet them.
    Well, you usually only hear of well, the desperate going to an online dating site. Maybe youll have some luck. I know a friend of mine is trying it but shes a bit overweight, and has two kids, and has some standards of her own. She hasn't found anyone yet and its been a few months. Her only standards are no smoking and have a job. She currently doesn't have one. Besides, just as you are more comfortable online, they may be too. Its hard to get a good feeling for what they truly are like if you are not face to face. You'll notice lil quirks they have much better then they would.

10+ Year Old Account
    No because I'm too selfish with my time and I'm only willing to go into a relationship if both parties are willing to devote as much time together that seems fair... a relationship just doesn't work if one wants it more than the other... you both have to want it the same or else it falls to pieces... currently I like bodybuilding and casual gaming... That's hours worth of time that I have to spend for myself... have to get my workouts in and eat my meals accordingly. Maybe in the future when I've decided to open up my life and share it with someone... will I use an online site... but something tells me I'll find that person before I'll have to use a website.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

I've tried it, but it gets really tedious, and ultimately I don't think its anywhere near as good as the adverts portray it as. Specially things like eHarmony, the statistics they spew at you are bordering on ridiculous.

I'd much prefer to leave things up to fate, and find someone doing what I already do, but it does get mighty lonely when the dice decide to roll against you for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Well, you usually only hear of well, the desperate going to an online dating site. Maybe youll have some luck. I know a friend of mine is trying it but shes a bit overweight, and has two kids, and has some standards of her own. She hasn't found anyone yet and its been a few months. Her only standards are no smoking and have a job. She currently doesn't have one. Besides, just as you are more comfortable online, they may be too. Its hard to get a good feeling for what they truly are like if you are not face to face. You'll notice lil quirks they have much better then they would.
    I wouldn't agree with that first statement since online dating is the new rave. Tons of people are trying it and doing it. Society's view on dating is kind of strange in my opinion. Especially at a young age.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've personally been on Plenty of Fish. Weirdly a lot of the women on there, just like the men, are quite bad in how they are towards others. I have met a really nice woman on there though who I have been dating for 2 months now. I was very honest about myself from the start, mentioning that downhill & dirt jumping mountain bikes is just as important as online gaming is in terms of what I do.

As I see it, if they don't like that part of me, then they don't like me for who I am. Saying that though I was quite picky on that website. If anyone used the words "You're fit" I didn't respond, also if they spoke "lik dis innit" I also kept away.

So I can see how it can be great to find someone, but trust me you have to siphon through a lot of crap to get to the good!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

I've tried it. Had a few dates. From what I've been told on said dates; the women get a ton of really trashy messages from desperate guys who assume that the ladies are equally desperate. I imagine that's very frustrating to deal with.

Made some great new friends (and who can complain about that?) but never found anything super substantial from it. My best friend found his wife on the same dating site, though, so clearly it works for some people.

I agree that the advertisements paint it up as a solution to being single -- but it isn't. It's just an avenue to meet and talk to new people. From there it's pretty much whatever you make of it.

My biggest piece of advice for using dating sites would be to actually contact people you think are interesting and talk to them like real human beings. Don't be afraid or think "If they like me they'll contact me." Take some initiative and say hello to people that interest you. You can usually tell if someone is full of crap within 5 minutes and move on.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

Tried, gave up. Met my girlfriend at a grocery store after I gave up on online dating sites. She's definitely dating down looks wise, absolutely gorgeous when she dresses up, especially in red.

The problem with online dating sites for guys is that the girls set their standards way too high. I probably sent out over 200 messages that were well though out, kind, respectful, and not creepy in any slightest bit. I didn't go after just attractive girls either. I went after those who I felt would share the same hobbies, ideals, and morals as I do. I'd say that about 3/4ths of them didn't respond and the other 1/4th would respond with a few words, making incredibly difficult to have a conversation.

I'm not going to say I'm a great looking guy but I'd put myself at about 6/10 face wise and 8/10 body wise. One would think that at least 1 of these girls would like to go out on a date. Not a single one would agree to go. I figured after about 8 months of trying that they were all there for a reason. They weren't actually looking for someone but rather looking for something to boost their confidence about how they look and feel about themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetShowJustice View Post
    I've tried it. Had a few dates. From what I've been told on said dates; the women get a ton of really trashy messages from desperate guys who assume that the ladies are equally desperate. I imagine that's very frustrating to deal with.

Made some great new friends (and who can complain about that?) but never found anything super substantial from it. My best friend found his wife on the same dating site, though, so clearly it works for some people.

I agree that the advertisements paint it up as a solution to being single -- but it isn't. It's just an avenue to meet and talk to new people. From there it's pretty much whatever you make of it.

My biggest piece of advice for using dating sites would be to actually contact people you think are interesting and talk to them like real human beings. Don't be afraid or think "If they like me they'll contact me." Take some initiative and say hello to people that interest you. You can usually tell if someone is full of crap within 5 minutes and move on.
    The most frustrating thing to deal with for me are the abundance of copy pasted messages and simple ''Hey'' ''How are you'' They don't even read your profile.

met my fiance online about 12 years ago and have been together since (save about a year and a half split some years ago, wild oats and all) allthough we didnt meet off a traditional dating website. i find these websites good for many reasons. if you dont have whole lot of time to go out any meet people or dont enjoy those typical dating scenes (i.e. bars) if you have a smartphone you can generally access most sites through this as well.

granted you have to find your way through all the guys that just want some ass or all the stuck up chicks etc. the anonymity of the internet is a pro as well as a con. it allows people to be more open and themselves, on the same hand it allows asshats something to hide behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Online dating sites - nope....
    Online dating through other platforms - yes...
    Used to be very active in AOL chat, in the mid 90s. The community in the rooms was usually the same crowd room by room. That created basically another clique for every chat room. Through that, eventually friends were made. User meetings happened. Dates were made. And beds were shared, not seldom I have to admit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    met my fiance online about 12 years ago and have been together since (save about a year and a half split some years ago, wild oats and all) allthough we didnt meet off a traditional dating website. i find these websites good for many reasons. if you dont have whole lot of time to go out any meet people or dont enjoy those typical dating scenes (i.e. bars) if you have a smartphone you can generally access most sites through this as well.

granted you have to find your way through all the guys that just want some ass or all the stuck up chicks etc. the anonymity of the internet is a pro as well as a con. it allows people to be more open and themselves, on the same hand it allows asshats something to hide behind.
    That was my only reason for doing online dating, had very little time to meet someone. Where as at least online I could organise things around meeting someone at a specific date and time, then change things over to spend more and more time with them.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Online dating sites - nope....
    Online dating through other platforms - yes...
    Used to be very active in AOL chat, in the mid 90s. The community in the rooms was usually the same crowd room by room. That created basically another clique for every chat room. Through that, eventually friends were made. User meetings happened. Dates were made. And beds were shared, not seldom I have to admit.
    very much this lol, AOL chat rooms and member profiles. oh the memories

Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I've never tried it but I don't like it. IMO you can never get to know a person across the internet. If you just find him and then go out together, good, but if you date on the net and only after some time you meet, I can't see that working. So far, most people I've met act differently on the net than they do IRL.
    Actually. I think one of the benefits to online dating is that you can get to know someone much more before you meet them. I don't think people join those websites with the intention of dating on the internet lol...You see a profile, you read their profile, if you like what you read, you message them, get to know more about them. If there's common interests, you plan to meet. That's usually how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Demolocklol View Post
    The most frustrating thing to deal with for me are the abundance of copy pasted messages and simple ''Hey'' ''How are you'' They don't even read your profile.
    I get these even as a male and it kind of baffles me. It's especially uncomfortable when someone attempts to initiate a conversation but either doesn't know how to or can't be bothered to try. What do you even do in response? It's so awkward. >.<;

Wow, AOL chat rooms. I met the person I thought I was going to marry in one of those. It didn't work out but that was one hell of a decade.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice