Thread: Fps low!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Slightly off-topic here, but it's quite easy to explain why simply measuring bus width is insufficient for calculating memory bandwidth. All it is is a simple formula.

(Effective clock) * [(Bus Width) / 8] = Memory Bandwidth

or

(Base clock) * [(Bus Width) / 8] * 4= Memory Bandwidth

Quite simple. Base clock being the base memory frequency (1500 mhz for the 650 TI boost) And effective clock being the base clock multiplied by 4 (6ghz for the 650 TI boost) since GDDR5 works much similar to the way DDR3 works, except it's 4 bits per cycle rather than 2. So heres an example for the 650 TI boost;

[1500 * 4] x [[192 / 8]] = 144GB/sec Memory bandwidth

The 650 TI boost is on newer architecture, is more efficient, has DX11.1 (which is just a better optimized version of DX11) and for any of the decent manufacturers, is over $200, and while the 660 is cheaper than a 560TI, both are kind of pushing the envelope imo for the OP's budget range, since he was originally looking at a 7770. If he was going to go in the 200-300 price bracket i'd recommend a 7870xt over a 660 or 560 TI.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, I have recommended both the 7770, and 650ti to people on lower end systems, and they get good frames on Good to High. If it's a budget worrying about, those are still good choices.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    Slightly off-topic here, but it's quite easy to explain why simply measuring bus width is insufficient for calculating memory bandwidth. All it is is a simple formula.
    That's the total bandwidth speed of the memory controllersset yes but be aware that each memory controller takes x amount of the total VRAM.

just as an update and a major thank you to the people in this thread that helped here i finally got a 650ti boost 8g ram and an aftermarket cooling for cpu and omg has it made a difference i can raid on ultra at 35+fps in any encounter including elegon the only time i dip below that on ultra is in the trade district in sw but normally i run on high for a solid 55+fps anywhere in the world thanks everyone who helped me with this issue much appreciated