Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Intel's new Haswell CPU to be "7-13% faster" than equivalent previous gen Ivy Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Tom's Hardware
    You probably could have guessed this before even looking at our benchmarks, but the pre-production Core i7-4770K is in the neighborhood of 7 to 13% faster than Core i7-3770K in today’s threaded workloads. That’s pretty consistent with the evolution from Sandy to Ivy Bridge, even as the flagship Haswell-based part keeps its thermal ceiling under 84 W.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ce,3461-8.html

I am wondering when it's going to be worth it for me to upgrade my setup, seeing as Haswell is expected to offer only a marginal performance increase over Ivy Bridge CPU's.

In other news, Broadwell (the next CPU to come after Haswell) is expected to be soldered on motherboards. I wonder why Intel would want to do something like that.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-04-15 at 03:56 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

In other news, Broadwell (the next CPU to come after Haswell) is expected to be soldered on motherboards. I wonder why Intel would want to do something like that.
    I thought they scrapped that idea for desktop CPUs (iirc mobile ones are always soldered to the motherboard).

I'd wait till the mobos are shipped with thunderbolt ports and they fix the USB3 sleep issues, Other than that the only thing interesting in Haswell seems to be the return of BCLK overclocking along with Multipliers.
    Here is hope it will have solder between the Die and the IHS not paste this time.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Deleted
    7-13% is good no matter how you look at it.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-04-15 at 03:57 PM.

7-13% is twice the increase going from Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge.

Cleaned some off-topic things out.

7-13% is a fair performance increase, as for the cpu's being soldered to the mobo, I very highly doubt that they'll go through with that for their desktop models.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

In terms of Broadwell, wouldn't 3rd party vendors be able to customize away from the Intel reference board anyways?

7-13% is a pretty big leap from IB to Haswell, especially going from a Sandy Bridge CPU or older. That said, I'm still probably waiting for a while longer to see how it holds up under the public's benchpressing.

Quote Originally Posted by seijo View Post
    In terms of Broadwell, wouldn't 3rd party vendors be able to customize away from the Intel reference board anyways?
    Yep. Even if the higher-end segments are BGA as well - which I personally am hesitant to jump to the conclusion of - They'd likely come with 1-2 different configurations per manufacturer as well, so choice aren't completely out of the window. It would trim amount of total configurations but could possibly increase revenue for board-partners without necessarily increase cost for the end-user.

7-13% is a fair performance increase.
    Still not tempting enough for me to upgrade. I will only upgrade when I will be unable to play WoW or SWTOR at 1920X1080 and max settings and get decent FPS and that time still seems to be at least 1 year down the road maybe more.

* User was infracted for trolling/baiting.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2013-04-15 at 04:23 PM.
    Veteran vanilla player - I was 31 back in 2005 when I started playing WoW - Nostalrius raider with a top raid guild.

OT: I think I'll be skipping this generation, my 3570k has life in it still.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-04-15 at 04:35 PM.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

I wonder if they include optimizations from using AVX2 or just the normal 'everyday' code... Anyway, I am more interested about mobile performance - I expect them to be more significant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Inside View Post
    OT: I think I'll be skipping this generation, my 3570k has life in it still.
    I dont see the need to upgrade from my 2500k as well. But than again, you (usually) can easily skip 3-4 generations of CPUs, before getting something new. If you buy something that is top of the line of course. (I3, I5, I7, Im less sure about the FX line but they should be able to last that long. Thinking about vishera)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I dont see the need to upgrade from my 2500k as well. But than again, you (usually) can easily skip 3-4 generations of CPUs, before getting something new. If you buy something that is top of the line of course. (I3, I5, I7, Im less sure about the FX line but they should be able to last that long. Thinking about vishera)
    There wasn't that much performance increase going from Sandy to Ivy, so the gain going from Ivy to Haswell won't hurt you too much either. I'm looking into this though, I've had about enough of my Phenom II X4 965. It has done it's job well, but even running an agressive overclock doesn't do the job anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    I dont see the need to upgrade from my 2500k as well.
    Same, but I'm likely going to anyway. I want to go M-ITX, but I need a reason to buy a new motherboard, an H80i and the Node 304. Haswell is that reason!
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2013-04-15 at 04:49 PM.

I'll wait for the die shrink myself. Haswell looks promising concerning overclocking though and a 7-13% is a good performance increase. If it stays like this it will be easy to foretell when I want to upgrade as well. Lets say Sandy is the generation 0 (value 100 for ease) and we have a exponential growth of 10% each generation, our function would look like this:
    f(x)=100*1.10^X
    insert that into your calculator and you can predict how much more powerful the broadwell will be compared to the sandy. Broadwell would be generation 4 in this case.

I'm rolling with an i7-950, and looking at AnandTech's benches, a 4770k would be about a 30%+ performance bump, assuming a 10% performance increase from IB to Haswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Confined View Post
    I'd wait till the mobos are shipped with thunderbolt ports and they fix the USB3 sleep issues, Other than that the only thing interesting in Haswell seems to be the return of BCLK overclocking along with Multipliers.
    Here is hope it will have solder between the Die and the IHS not paste this time.
    Someone made a test which proved that the lack of solder versus paste was not the issue ie > they removed the plate on top and finished the front of the CPU, remember that Ivy Bridge used a new transistor system which is probably the culprit.

Eitherway Haswell is better but it's not a world difference, ivy birdge wasn't bad anyway, Haswell's main focus is not Desktop but mobile where the gain compared to Ivy Bridge is massive through the new GPU and power draw.

i think anyone who has first generation i7 could use an upgrade to haswell.

my i7-950 no longer gives the performance i need, i am looking forward to upgrade my pc.