10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbruz View Post
    Just because someone doesnt fit a profile doesnt mean he cant be "bad". I mean lots of bad people dont show up as red flags before its too late
    When you're two years into a medical degree at Dartmouth and haven't been out of the country since you were nine....

Then again, there could be circumstances we don't know about. Perhaps some organization decided to use these boys by threatening a relative, which tends to be a favored tactic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding what legal authority a police commissioner has to order all residents of a city to remain inside. Is anyone else as unsettled as I am by this?
    How about the legal authority of there is a killer on the loose we cannot guarantee your safety?

I'm having a hard time understanding what legal authority a police commissioner has to order all residents of a city to remain inside. Is anyone else as unsettled as I am by this?
    No not at all, wanna get your head blown off??

10+ Year Old Account
    When their might be active explosives lying around in the streets, I really don't have a problem with them being concerned for public safety.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Martial law, it's a terrible thing but sometimes it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm just a little confused about the younger brother; from what his classmates and other people who knew him are saying, he really doesn't fit the profile for the radical type.

That's the thing with radicals. They know people would think they were insane if they shared their views with their friends people would think they're nuts. My faith is important to me and I made some friends with like minded people that I met in a religious organization. They seemed really cool and it was awesome that I had some friends that I could share something as important as my faith with them. And, then I found out a lot of these guys were virulently anti-Semitic, denied the Holocaust, and hoped for a holy war against America. I obviously stopped talking to them, but it was really sad and I could totally see how someone could get pulled into that world. The thing is you would never guess these guys held these opinions. All fine middle-class people, college-educated, that seemed totally normal.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    How about the legal authority of there is a killer on the loose we cannot guarantee your safety?
    That's not legal authority. They've essentially declared martial law, which would seem to be something they don't have the power to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welcome to the Patriot Act. If there is a strong enough threat such as this, they can pretty much do anything. Plus theres probably 10 or more agencies working on this right now including the military.

Would you want to be outside if this stuff was right near you? I wouldn't.
    i5 3570k
    WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
    16GB DDR3 1600 Ram
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    OCZ 120GB Agility 3 SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Shennanigans View Post
    No not at all, wanna get your head blown off??
    So the police have the right to blow my head off for walking around? That's insanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    As an american I agree. Although admittedly I would be pissed and probably be one of the people getting searched lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Martial law declared by a civilian police force over an entire city?

10+ Year Old Account
    The rambling of an old man afraid for his son. Can you really blame him?
    Not really. But his son's a dead man either way, if he doesn't commit suicide by cop. If he gets deported to Russia, he'll probably turn up dead as an example to the Chechens. If he gets imprisoned, he'll probably end up shanked (prisoners tend to have a twisted if effective method of dealing with certain kinds of criminals). Or he could get the death penalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    So the police have the right to blow my head off for walking around? That's insanity.
    He was obviously referring to the danger of the suspect, not that the police will gun you down for going outside.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser499 View Post
    Would you want to be outside if this stuff was right near you? I wouldn't.
    No, but that's really not my point.

The rambling of an old man afraid for his son. Can you really blame him?
    Yea, I definitely blame him. You threaten people after your sons go on a spree of terrorism killing, robbing, and injuring many innocent people....first thing I would do is apoligize not threaten more people.

So the Boston PD, FBI, ATF, DHS, Army National Guard definitely don't have have much authority. Come on people...this isn't a police department knocking on doors. This is a federal manhunt tracking down terrorist(s).
    Last edited by Raidboss; 2013-04-19 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    He was obviously referring to the danger of the suspect, not that the police will gun you down for going outside.......
    And I was obviously discounting that point and focusing on the police being able to enact and enforce such a curfew.

No, but if you want to have dozens of guns pointed at you, stripped naked and violated by robots because you didn't stay on your couch go right ahead.

No, but that's really not my point.
    I think your point is a topic for another thread to be honest

Deleted
    Yup, it's chaotic enough without civilians running all over the place getting in the way. It will be over this time tomorrow, people can deal with it until then, it only becomes a problem if they try and keep control for longer periods.